Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is weight this important?

Options
  • 18-07-2012 11:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

I have the pleasure of working with a former junior world champion cyclist. He has completed in the TDF as well as numerous Giro's and classics. We were discussing the TDF and weight/power etc., when he shocked me by saying "If Wiggins was 2kg heavier he would not be leading the race and mightn't even be in the top 10".

I am beginning to realise the importance of weight in elite athletes but this really shocked me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

PIC20455761.jpg

I wonder could he run on those legs..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There was a really interesting piece in Triathlete Europe a while back (and Tunney mentions something similar in his log) about racing weight.

I think it was Chris MacCormack who being a big lad found that adding 3kg to what he thought was his ideal weight was actually his best racing weight. It seems to be a very fine balancing act between having enough muscle mass to power you through your event and being light enough to get the best from that muscle.

Its amazing how the wiry build of the 'modern' pro cyclist is a long way removed from the powerhouse build and massive thighs of recent times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

mloc123 wrote: »
    PIC20455761.jpg

I wonder could he run on those legs..

Fook me. I'm surprised he can walk, never mind run.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For climbing hills and accelerating, it's all about the power:weight ratio.

A 2kg increase for Wiggins would be rougly a 2.9% drop in performance. Very rough figures, that would mean he would be nearly 1.5 minutes slower for every hour of climbing. At present, he only leads by 2 minutes and 5 seconds. So you can see how close the tolerances are. A 2.9% performance drop for Wiggins would probably leave him well outside of the top ten.

As mentioned above though, a lot of it is about balance, especially when an event consists of a mixture of terrain. A lighter rider may be better able to pull themselves up the hills, but lack the energy to stick with the peloton on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Its all relative, for those mountains the power:weight ratio is critical. If it was a flat stage, not so much. Interested to hear more if there was any further discussion on it with that guy! Few of us would have that kind of experience in the real world with the weight issue as a lot wont actually be at the "best" weight for them and be able to compare

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Bambaata wrote: »
    Its all relative, for those mountains the power:weight ratio is critical. If it was a flat stage, not so much. Interested to hear more if there was any further discussion on it with that guy! Few of us would have that kind of experience in the real world with the weight issue as a lot wont actually be at the "best" weight for them and be able to compare

I've his head melted in fairness about training, racing, weight etc., etc.
    He's sound about it though and always humours me.

The stories about descending at over 130kmh are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

One of these days a stray dog is going to run off with Wiggo's shin and bury it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rawhead wrote: »
    I have the pleasure of working with a former junior world champion cyclist. He has completed in the TDF as well as numerous Giro's and classics. We were discussing the TDF and weight/power etc., when he shocked me by saying "If Wiggins was 2kg heavier he would not be leading the race and mightn't even be in the top 10".

I am beginning to realise the importance of weight in elite athletes but this really shocked me.

That explains why I hate hills so much so :D.

MS would understand this a lot better than we ever could I guess!

Advertisement