Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribikes.ie Loughrea Triathlon 9/9/12 Now Open for Registration

Options
  • 17-07-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

This years 2012 Tribikes.ie Loughrea Sprint Triathlon is now open for entries. There are two race categories this year; the adult sprint distance and the club is also hosting the National Junior Triathlon Championships on the same day.

The race is being hosted by http://www.predatortriclub.ie/ in Loughrea lake and registration is open on Triathlon Ireland.

The Triathlon sold out very quickly last year and we hope it will again soon, so register early to avoid disappointment. The cost for entering the Sprint is €50 euros and this includes a goody bag and a full meal in the Loughrea Hotel after the race.

For those nervous about the swim this is an ideal Triathlon to sign up for. The lake is one of the only lakes to achieve European Blue Flag status. Its sheltered, not very deep (for large parts you can stand in the water) with a sandy base and the water is crystal clear.

We hope to see you there!

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 1 vote

Scenery
    0% 0 votes
    PB Potential
    0% 0 votes
    Atmosphere
    0% 0 votes
    Value
    100% 1 vote
    Organization
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

This years 2012 Tribikes.ie Loughrea Sprint Triathlon is now open for entries. There are two race categories this year; the adult sprint distance and the club is also hosting the National Junior Triathlon Championships on the same day.

The race is being hosted by http://www.predatortriclub.ie/ in Loughrea lake and registration is open on Triathlon Ireland.

The Triathlon sold out very quickly last year and we hope it will again soon, so register early to avoid disappointment. The cost for entering the Sprint is €50 euros and this includes a goody bag and a full meal in the Loughrea Hotel after the race.

For those nervous about the swim this is an ideal Triathlon to sign up for. The lake is one of the only lakes to achieve European Blue Flag status. Its sheltered, not very deep (for large parts you can stand in the water) with a sandy base and the water is crystal clear.

We hope to see you there!

I heard there were sharks in the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    I heard there were sharks in the water?

Just to add some excitement & atmosphere to the swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm in. Last race of the season for me. I missed it last year so looking forward to it this year. A well organised event and there's always a good buzz out there. :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Why are all the races I want to do on the same weekend as Vitruvian?

Isn't that on the 8th? Can do Loughrea as a recovery event :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Isn't that on the 8th? Can do Loughrea as a recovery event :)

The 9th is my birthday. I expect to be huddled in a ball of old age depression somewhere in Oakham. :(

edit: Though I may consider returning home if any shops would like to present me with a nice pair of shoes as a birthday present :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Johndoe64

Just signed up for it there now and my 10 year old lad is going to do the the junior one as well.

Any idea what the distances would be for his age group? It doesn't have the specific details on the predator site

"[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]There will be varying distances for the Loughrea kids triathlon depending on your age. The swims vary from 80 meters to 150 meters, the cycle will vary between 2, 4 & 6 kilometres and the run from 1km to 2.5km."[/FONT]

Hi Johndoe just checking in the website there is a guide to the age group distances which may be of help to you.

Some of the details are yet to be absolutely finalised and this is the latest update:

Wetsuits are compulsory as well as helmets for the cycle. The kids will need a road worthy bike with working brakes.

Recommended Distances for Children taking part in a triathlon (from TI website)

Age Swim Cycle (Grass)* Cycle (Tarmac) Run
    3 Years & Under No No No No
    4 - 5 Years No 200m 400m 100m
    6 - 7 Years No 1km * 2kn 400m
    8 - 9 Years 100m 1.5km * 2.5km 800m
    10 - 11 Years 200m 4km* 6km 1.8km
    12 - 13 Years 300m 6km * 8km 2.4km
    14 - 15 Years 400m 7km * 10km 3km

About the waves and ages. Triathlon Ireland work by the age you are/will be by 31st of December of this year.
    U8: if you are 7 or 8 at 31st December of this year, so you are born in 2004 or 2005
    U10: if you are 9 or 10 by the end of this year, so born in 2003 or 2002
    U12: if you are 11 or 12 by the end of this year, so born in 2001 or 2000
    U15: if you are 13, 14 or 15 by the end of this year, so born in 1999, 1998 or 1997

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Johndoe64

Hi Johndoe just checking in the website there is a guide to the age group distances which may be of help to you.

Some of the details are yet to be absolutely finalised and this is the latest update:

Wetsuits are compulsory as well as helmets for the cycle. The kids will need a road worthy bike with working brakes.

Recommended Distances for Children taking part in a triathlon (from TI website)

Age Swim Cycle (Grass)* Cycle (Tarmac) Run
    3 Years & Under No No No No
    4 - 5 Years No 200m 400m 100m
    6 - 7 Years No 1km * 2kn 400m
    8 - 9 Years 100m 1.5km * 2.5km 800m
    10 - 11 Years 200m 4km* 6km 1.8km
    12 - 13 Years 300m 6km * 8km 2.4km
    14 - 15 Years 400m 7km * 10km 3km

About the waves and ages. Triathlon Ireland work by the age you are/will be by 31st of December of this year.
    U8: if you are 7 or 8 at 31st December of this year, so you are born in 2004 or 2005
    U10: if you are 9 or 10 by the end of this year, so born in 2003 or 2002
    U12: if you are 11 or 12 by the end of this year, so born in 2001 or 2000
    U15: if you are 13, 14 or 15 by the end of this year, so born in 1999, 1998 or 1997

Thanks for the info appreciate that. He has all the gear his bike is one of these http://www.pro-lite.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=245#/TheONE_Road/ and he's been out for a good few spins with me on it.

He's looking forward to it already.

Have many on here signed up for this weekend? Here's hoping the weather is like last Sunday! :D

• Advertisement

Great race from Predator yesterday. Registration was easy. Swim course was very nice. Tasty bike route and a lovely run. Very nice meal afterwards too. Plenty of marshalls on course and no chances of going wrong.

Serious performances from the 2 youngsters O'Brien and Turner!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Some random thoughts as I was roaring sharp left on the bike course.

1. The winner O Brien from Limerick Tri must have had some swim as he was 2 minutes + ahead of the next guy when they came to us at the 14k mark. Is he anything to Shotguns friend, Mike O Brien?

2. The speed that some of the top guys took that bend - I don't think Geraghty slowed down at all, though he took a chance as he went right onto the other side of the road to give himself a better angle coming into it. Good job there was no-one coming - the guard that was stopping traffic there was more interested in watching the cyclists himself. Some people were losing a bunch of seconds here compared to the top guys

3. Not one of the top ten would even glance at you as you warned them of the turn (special exception for the vet). Midpackers would nod and backpackers you would nearly want to say stop thanking me and push on. Perhaps next year I might try the blank pained expression of the leaders and it might be worth a few seconds to me

3. There was a serious amount of mountain, hybrid, high nelly bikes on the course which was great to see.

Advertisement