Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time running

Options
  • 15-07-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

i'm doing my first runnish thing, 5k run 20k cycle 5k run. i've been playin football for years so i'm reasnobly fit, but not that distance. just wondering, what would respectable times for each section? i was thinking 6 min run 5 cycle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Finish it first then check the watch........highly likely you will suffer and forget about the watch.......

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Nertballs

dahat wrote: »
    Finish it first then check the watch........highly likely you will suffer and forget about the watch.......

you're probably right, but i'd like to train with some goal in mind, even if i don't keep it on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

moved this to the "running and something else" forum, since you're doing a duathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

When is the race?

Have you started training yet?

Don't forget to do some "Brick" training. This is when you run immediately after cycling. You're legs will feel weird when you try to run off the bike, if you can train for this it will have less impact in the race.

You'd probably want to get out see what kind of pace you can manage over a couple of kilometres now to see where you're at before you try to set a goal pace. Once you have an idea of you're current fitness levels you can use tools like the MacMillan Pace Calculator to get an estimate of your pace over longer distances.

Welcome to duathlon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Nertballs wrote: »
    you're probably right, but i'd like to train with some goal in mind, even if i don't keep it on the day

The goal should be to finish and get your legs used to the change from run to bike and bike to run.

Is it on July 28th by any chance ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement