Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Fishing

Options
  • 13-07-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi, im in southeast wexford, Ireland, a very popular area for fishing. Ill keep this simple. Sorry if it sounds harsh or blunt :P

My brother and I have been fishing for bass and sea trout for a while now. Probably 6 months. My brother has caught a few bass and one sea trout. we fish areas around rocks, areas around piers, clean, dirty, casting from the shore, you name it. we have done it. We use expensive gear and still nothing is taking. We know a good bit about fishing and we should be catching a lot more.

If anyone has any ideas or any tips or help would they please leave a comment, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

make sure your in the right place at right time with right tides i guess,

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Hort101

We have tried everywhere at all different times..
    What are the best water conditions for bass?? high tide low tide?? calm, rough??
    What areas do bass love to be in??

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

http://www.probassfisher.com/

This guy is pretty close to you, I was on a weekend trip to Fethard last year and we had a session with him. Pretty good I think - although we still caught feck all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

For me bass fishing is all about leg work, spending time at low tide checking out potential spots that would hold a few fish at high tide.

OS maps both printed and online can be of great use to getting you started. There is a great book by two English guys about bass fishing - I have it at home, if I remember tonight I'll post the title. Its mostly old school but gives some great pointers on preferred ground/tides, etc

Lastly - if you find a good spot don't tell a soul. I'm also from Wexford (live in Dublin). I know several good places that I wouldn't dream of telling another living person about, especially most of the lads at home. It would be cleaned out in a heartbeat. Horrible to say but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bub34

The famous question that everyone ask. TBH its a lot of figuring out an hours of blanking til you start seeing a pattering keep a note book and write everything down. from tides the times your fishing the weather an pressure an moons. I use XC weather an find it very good. everyone has there own opinion on what works for them. im no pro an am trying to figure it out myself an there is always something that throws a spanner in the works wen you think your getting somewhere with it.
    Try keep it simple an don't think about into too much detail, as it will only wreak your head. keep an eye on the pressure I find it good when it changes from high to low or the other way around. I find new moons better than full moons, an normally fish the night as it works better for me, the changes of light is good too. Look its all about trail an error an patience an a lot of them. just keep trying you will start catching more fish.
    Don't think we will ever figure them out...
    As I said everyone has there own outlook on it ,an might not agree with me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Hort101 wrote: »
    Hi, im in southeast wexford, Ireland, a very popular area for fishing. Ill keep this simple. Sorry if it sounds harsh or blunt :P

My brother and I have been fishing for bass and sea trout for a while now. Probably 6 months. My brother has caught a few bass and one sea trout. we fish areas around rocks, areas around piers, clean, dirty, casting from the shore, you name it. we have done it. We use expensive gear and still nothing is taking. We know a good bit about fishing and we should be catching a lot more.

If anyone has any ideas or any tips or help would they please leave a comment, thanks :)

like the other posters said,its all about time,planning and experience . plus the fish dont know how expensive you gear is, bass fishing is the only is the only fishing i do and ya wanna see the crap i use and i have a good few fish in last few weeks. i could pm you wher i get them but i would have to track you down and kill ya then:). walk the beaches look for something the tide races around i find a good strong tide best

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

There is a lot of bait fish around at the moment so the Bass are not taking our baits with gusto. Fishing should improve later in the month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A couple of lads out bass fishing on Saturday afternoon and yesterday at Sutton beach......just to the side of the golf coarse where the open sea and the estuary channel meet.

Spoke to 1 of them up at balscaddan bay yesterday morning,some small skoolies being caught,but nothing of any major size yet.

Advertisement