Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Gear] Alu v carbon for shorter course

Options
  • 13-07-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a tri bike in preparation for next year. I'm looking to get a second hand one as I have used the bike to work scheme and I feel there is value in the second hand market as tri bike sometimes (but not always) get very little use compared to road bikes.
    Also I have two other bikes and another big spend would not go down well..

My question is this, what are the main downsides to an aluminium frame, possibly with carbon forks versus a full carbon bike (from a TT bike perspective). Assuming I'll be doing sprint, olympic and at a push HIM distance there probably isn't much difference? Particularly on flat courses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Basster wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting a tri bike in preparation for next year. I'm looking to get a second hand one as I have used the bike to work scheme and I feel there is value in the second hand market as tri bike sometimes (but not always) get very little use compared to road bikes.
    Also I have two other bikes and another big spend would not go down well..

My question is this, what are the main downsides to an aluminium frame, possibly with carbon forks versus a full carbon bike (from a TT bike perspective). Assuming I'll be doing sprint, olympic and at a push HIM distance there probably isn't much difference? Particularly on flat courses?

Alu tubes cannot be worked into quite as aero tubes as carbon. Other than that..........

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

I've been on a Quintana Roo Caliente since 2004 (I think, it's the orange one), Alu frame, carbon front and rear forks. Been totally happy with it at all distances.

Having said that, thinking of a change for 2013 (but I think that every year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

speedyj wrote: »
    I've been on a Quintana Roo Caliente since 2004 (I think, it's the orange one), Alu frame, carbon front and rear forks. Been totally happy with it at all distances.

Having said that, thinking of a change for 2013 (but I think that every year :-)

and he spanked me like a b1tch on my carbon tt bike in Roth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    and he spanked me like a b1tch on my carbon tt bike in Roth

On shorter routes, he had a top ten bike splits in both Joey Hannan and more impressively, HotW, this year on that bike.

All about the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Thanks guys, pretty much as expected then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement