Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Knowledge Quiz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

piuswal wrote: »
    Ethiopia

Liberia

Egypt

South Africa

Correct. Scholar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Name the Capitals of South Africa.

Name the Capitals of South Africa.

Cape Town. (parliamentary)
    Pretoria (executive)
    Bloemfontein (judicial)

I think the names of one or two of the cities may be Africanised now.

ar aghaidh leat

ar aghaidh leat

What is the name of the legal system which was introduced to its colonies by the Netherlands and which survives to a greater or lesser degree in South Africa, Sri Lanka and Guyana?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭donegal_man

feargale wrote: »
    What is the name of the legal system which was introduced to its colonies by the Netherlands and which survives to a greater or lesser degree in South Africa, Sri Lanka and Guyana?

Roman Dutch Law

Roman Dutch Law

Correct. Your question please?

According to legend St Patrick caused the earliest irish law text to be recorded in which book?

According to legend St Patrick caused the earliest irish law text to be recorded in which book?

The Book of the Dun Cow?

Good answer but not the one I have.

• Advertisement

Good answer but not the one I have.

The Book of Durrow?

If I'm right let someone else have a go. I'm out for a few days.

The question was probably a bit badly phrased. The book was the Senchas Mor which was actually compiled sometime in the eighth century although later legends ascribed it like so much more in early Ireland to St Patrick.

New Question
    Which great scholar of early Irish jurisprudence was Ireland's ambassador to Germany 1929 - 1932

Maeve Binchy's uncle

Maeve Binchy's uncle

D A Binchy (1899–1989) was indeed the uncle of Meave & William. Take it away.

D A Binchy (1899–1989) was indeed the uncle of Meave & William. Take it away.

Where was Maeve Binchy born?

Where was Maeve Binchy born?

Charleville

Not as far as I know.

Not as far as I know.

Killiney?

Ok - next door - Dalkey all yours

• Advertisement

Name the author of The Dalkey Archive.

feargale wrote: »
    Name the author of The Dalkey Archive.

The great Flann O'Brien

In which government department was Brian O'Nolan a civil servant?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The great Flann O'Brien

In which government department was Brian O'Nolan a civil servant?

The department of local government.

In Magnum P.I. What were the names of Higgins' Doberman Pinschers?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

I believe I know the answer but I cannot see the link between the answer to the previous question and your question. Hopefully I'll be proved incorrect and the series will continue under the rules as set out originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Guys do you not get bored thats its the same 3 of you more or less all the time?

I'm a avid quizzer, have hosted and partaken in manys a quiz, been on telly quiz shows and won prizes, (setting the scene that I would have a fair amount of knowledge) and what is supposed to be 'general knowledge' in this thread is frankly ridiculous

irishejit wrote: »
    Guys do you not get bored thats its the same 3 of you more or less all the time?

I'm a avid quizzer, have hosted and partaken in manys a quiz, been on telly quiz shows and won prizes, (setting the scene that I would have a fair amount of knowledge) and what is supposed to be 'general knowledge' in this thread is frankly ridiculous

So, pose a question following the rules as set out at the start.

irishejit wrote: »

Perhaps you could clarify and expand on the ridiculous general knowledge bit. I'm sure everybody here would welcome any suggestions to improve, particularly from someone as accomplished as yourself, but your criticism is far from clear.
    Also, my guess is that others here are refraining from posting a question to give you an opportunity to respond to Piuswal's invitation to post one yourself. Certainly I am.

It seems that whatever his motive was, that ejit had no intention of contributing anything towards the improvement of this thread.
    Time to move on.
    Question: Which Irish county has two county towns or administrative centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Tipperary

21/25

• Advertisement

uch wrote: »
    Tipperary

Correct. Question please. I think you're new here. The person who answers correctly asks a question relevant to the previous question or answer. Please read OP if you don't understand.

Advertisement