Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Advice needed

  • 07-07-2012 7:17pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭ jacool


    I put 2 bets on last night on Tasmanian soccer.
    After doing my www.soccerway.com homework I had the away team +1 goal and also off levels. The game finished up 0-3 so I expected a healthy balance in my account but saw €0. The bookies say that the result of the game was 5-1 to the home team and bot bets lost. After a mild panic, I went off googling to find that three games were played consecutively between the same two clubs,
    Saturday 7th July 2012
    Launceston City V Devonport City at Mitsubishi Park
    Under 18's Kick Off 10:30 AM
    Reserves Kick Off 12:30 PM
    Seniors Kick Off 2:30 PM
    My bet simply says Launceston City V Devonport City and therefore I am maintaining that this couldn't have been either the U-18 (which finished 1-6), or the Reserves (5-1) because neither of these terms are associated with the bet I placed and I have seen these terms, and others U-19, U-20 etc. used regularly on the bookies website. For example all through the English football season they offer prices on the likes of Man. Utd. Reserves vs. Man. City Reserves. Have I a leg to stand on?
    If so, how do I go about trying to get this resolved?
    They have just sent me the web page of the 5-1 game - no mention of the other 2, either of which would have seen me in profit. Though having said that, I wouldn't be betting on U-18s or the reserves.
    Thanks in advance.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭ ianburke


    of course the bookie is in the wrong...i bet its with pp..they are a shocking firm to bet with.they have often put down wrong results and settled winning bets incorrectly and refused to fix them

    just send them an email tho..ur bet won so if it was worth a lot keep at it mate


  • Registered Users Posts: 712 Formation


    Post a screenshot of the bet (exclude amounts if desired).


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 BKC


    You certainly have a case. Maybe try explaining that there was 3 games and see what they say.
    ianburke wrote: »
    of course the bookie is in the wrong...i bet its with pp..they are a shocking firm to bet with.they have often put down wrong results and settled winning bets incorrectly and refused to fix them

    I bet you it's not.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭ jacool


    Here's the bet

    and here's a game that's just been on, to prove my point


  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭ ianburke


    bet placed in play dude so u have no chance of a refund.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭ Luap


    That is totally wrong Ian.


  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭ ianburke


    about as wrong as you assuming my name is ian! but in fairness,the bet was in play there was only one match involving these teams. if the matches were on at the same time then maybe hed get the money back but they have terms all the time in running saying they arent liable for misinformation..and also the odds on this game were totally different to the odds on the match the op thought it was...put it down as a valuable lesson and move on son..ive had to do it myself many times


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭ okidoki987


    Something doesn't look right here.

    You said you had the bet last night so I assume 3.30am bet in play was on one of the below matches
    Launceston City V Devonport City at Mitsubishi Park
    Under 18's Kick Off 10:30 AM
    Reserves Kick Off 12:30 PM
    Seniors Kick Off 2:30 PM
    So is there a time difference?
    As Ianburke already said, if the bet was in play, you must have had the bet on one of those matches as they all kicked off at different times.
    Therefore in play meant you couldn't have not known which match it was on as there only the 1 in play.
    You should only be looking for a refund if it was pre match.
    Not 100% positive but I don't think U18 matches are 90 mins?

    The 1st slip is PP.
    Most bookies will state Reserves or a Youths match in the title.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 BKC


    I don't know if there is much you can do. If you bet in-play then you urely knew what match you were betting on; however, most bookies normally differentiate clearly between senior, reserve, and youth games.
    okidoki987 wrote: »
    The 1st slip is PP.

    Doesn't look like Paddy Power to me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭ jacool


    They have told me to talk to IBAS if I want.
    I want, so I've sent them all the relevant information.
    "most bookies normally differentiate clearly between senior, reserve, and youth games. "
    This bookie always does. I've sent them back their own screenshots.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭ okidoki987


    Your problem will be the "in running".
    You don't have a leg to stand on.
    You would only have had a chance if it was pre match.
    If the bookie told you to go to IBAS, you don't have a chance.
    They will only tell you about IBAS when they know they can't lose, otherwise they would never tell you about it.

    OOC
    How do you reckon you would win the case?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭ jacool


    I thought that the fact that it didn't say Devonport City Reserves might be in my favour. When I was online at 03:30, I'll admit my brain wasn't 100%, but I can't fathom how they picked out the reserve game to price up out of all the 3 games. I had to do a fair bit of googling to find that out, whereas I got the "senior" fixture on the front page of the Australian games on soccerway.
    Everyday I see games priced up which are reserves ties like this one, and they always put Reserves against both team names. I included one in the screenshot earlier.
    If IBAS say I'm wrong I'll abide by that, but I'm wondering why the bookie uses the term "Reserves" totally inconsistently. That's what threw me, as I didn't even know, until afterwards, that Australian soccer can be like that. Now I know that in Tasmania, three games occur in a row!!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ myflipflops


    Can you confirm that it was a live bet??

    You seem to be ignoring that fact which is key. Did you realise it was live?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭ jacool


    Can you confirm that it was a live bet??

    You seem to be ignoring that fact which is key. Did you realise it was live?
    It was a live bet but I didn't realise that at the time, so mea culpable there. However I wasn't concerned as it wasn't until the next day that I realised that there were actually 3 games. I believed that the game I was betting on was the one I found on www. Soccerway.com - I'm still amazed that a) they play 3 games back to back between the same 2 clubs and b) that the bookies decided to offer odds on the reserve fixture only (without making this transparent). Regardless of what I think though I will just have to abide by IBAS and hope that they can see my side of things.
    I think that the issue is to do with either my stupidity or their failure to qualify the match as a reserve fixture. I'll let you know what happens.


  • Registered Users Posts: 712 Formation


    I cant see the screenshot on the phone but i hope it was for small stakes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭ okidoki987


    I reckon it would around 25/1 IBAS finding in your favour.


  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭ ianburke


    last week in the baseball on pp my bet was in running and they had messed it up and offered the wrong match altogether..it was a 4 series game and they offered game 4(with different pitchers) in running for game 3....i was left with 20 euro on a 8/13 shot that was really a 20 or 30/1 shot.i emailed them and all thatbut nothing was done.just have to accept it and put it down as experience.

    the only way i cud have known it was the wrong match was up the top it said "game started at 8.55pm" in small writing...both games were on the same day which i reckon caused the mistake by them..it was a crazy thing tho because all the odds were shifting and the away team went 1/500....so anybody backing those lines like me ended up with a very bad bet for the following night lol! home team won that night and i hope some people got them at 33/1 in running the night before lol.

    ur bookie shud have had reserves down if they always state it, but in running at this time there was only one game on involving both sides so id say uve a zero chance of getting money back.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ myflipflops


    okidoki987 wrote: »
    I reckon it would around 25/1 IBAS finding in your favour.

    Get Betfair to open a market and i will lay 1000/1.

    Absolutely zero case on a live bet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭ wicklowdub


    Your over 18 and an adult. Make sure your betting on the right event, we have all placed bets in error and have had to suck it up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭ jacool


    wicklowdub wrote: »
    Your over 18 and an adult. Make sure your betting on the right event, we have all placed bets in error and have had to suck it up.
    With all due respect, I was only asking for advice. This ended up with the bet being referred to IBAS and I'm fine with that.
    I didn't ask for people with spelling difficulties to tell me to "suck it up".
    If you bet online on football as often as I do, the teams that are "reserves" are clearly flagged as such, most days there are is least 1 fixture on the coupon that is shown in this manner. That is the only issue that I have with them, as I didn't know that there were 3 consecutive games between the same 2 clubs. I doubt anyone on here knew that fact before this thread. If that is the lesson I've learnt then I hope someone else learns too (for free), that they shouldn't assume if it says Team A vs. Team B that its not safe to assume that this is strictly correct i.e. that it could be the U18 teams, the reserves teams or even the women’s teams.
    If I had thought this was the case (i.e. 3 games) then I could have called them to see which one it was.
    Technically what this means is that they can offer a game e.g. Arsenal vs. Leeds and you have to work out which teams are competing. Perhaps that's the point you are making. If so, fair enough!
    I would like to know, however, what is the arbitrary choice that makes them qualify teams names in some but not all games.
    Win or lose, and you’re all on the lose side here, that’s the only question I will have for them afterwards.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 premierstone


    Jacool they didnt need to specify in this case as it was a bet in running, and there was only one game in play when you placed the bet, seriously im not been smart but this really isn't that difficult to understand and you have absolutely no chance with IBAS.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭ jacool


    Jacool they didnt need to specify in this case as it was a bet in running, and there was only one game in play when you placed the bet, seriously im not been smart but this really isn't that difficult to understand and you have absolutely no chance with IBAS.
    Point taken.
    My error was in not knowing there were 3 different games.
    On your point about the bet being in running though - would that mean that up to the whistle blowing it would be advertised as a reserve game but once the whistle blows they drop the qualifying term "reserve"?
    Its interesting that this is the one of the three that they chose to price up. There must be a crazy logic there somewhere.
    I'm resigned to losing now, just checking my e-mail daily for the verdict!
    When I lose, then I'll ask the bookie just to explain the above.


  • Registered Users Posts: 37,379 ✭✭✭✭ Mellor


    okidoki987 wrote: »
    You said you had the bet last night so I assume 3.30am bet in play was on one of the below matches
    Launceston City V Devonport City at Mitsubishi Park
    Under 18's Kick Off 10:30 AM
    Reserves Kick Off 12:30 PM
    Seniors Kick Off 2:30 PM
    So is there a time difference?
    Are you really asking if there is a time difference between Ireland and Australia?
    jacool wrote: »
    It was a live bet but I didn't realise that at the time, so mea culpable there. However I wasn't concerned as it wasn't until the next day that I realised that there were actually 3 games. I believed that the game I was betting on was the one I found on www. Soccerway.com - I'm still amazed that a) they play 3 games back to back between the same 2 clubs and b) that the bookies decided to offer odds on the reserve fixture only (without making this transparent). Regardless of what I think though I will just have to abide by IBAS and hope that they can see my side of things.
    We don't actually know if the bolded part is confirmed yet.

    What website was it. All that was said was that it wasn't Paddypower


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭ jacool


    Mellor wrote: »
    We don't actually know if the bolded part is confirmed yet.
    What website was it. All that was said was that it wasn't Paddypower

    What do you mean about the bolded part being confirmed yet?
    "That the bookies decided to offer odds on the reserve fixture only (without making this transparent)"
    The bookie is Ladbrokes, and they offered a price on one match, which happened to be the reserve match.
    In an e-mail they said
    "I have double checked the results and they have been settled correctly.
    http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-8296-0-204525-0&pool=0&round=0&a=ROUND
    This is the match we had priced up our markets on."
    Were you asking if
    a) they only priced up one of the games or
    b) they weren't transparent ?
    I'm not having a go, just wanted clarification!

    Re the time difference, I've discovered that there is a 9 hour difference, so when I placed my bet, it coincided with the 12:30 kick-off (i.e. 03:30 here).
    I'm trying to find out when exactly I placed the bet, must do that.

    To add insult to injury, I just found out that the reserves super striker came off after 15 minutes as the seniors had injuries, and he opened the scoring in the senior game!!
    This could be the most expensive flu ever.


  • Registered Users Posts: 37,379 ✭✭✭✭ Mellor


    jacool wrote: »
    Were you asking if
    a) they only priced up one of the games or
    b) they weren't transparent ?
    I'm not having a go, just wanted clarification!
    Until this point you hadn't told us the bookie. So what was priced wasn't confirmed, what was displayed.
    I wasn't doubting what you said just pointing out we still were missing details of the bookies.
    Re the time difference, I've discovered that there is a 9 hour difference, so when I placed my bet, it coincided with the 12:30 kick-off (i.e. 03:30 here).
    I'm trying to find out when exactly I placed the bet, must do that.
    Yup 9 hours. Im not sure why that was even questioned. The bet is marked as the 03:30 (12:30) one on the slip, so even if it wasn't labeled as RES, the time plus the fact it was in play means you little chance with IBAS.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭ jacool


    Get Betfair to open a market and i will lay 1000/1. Absolutely zero case on a live bet.

    I am currently contacting Betfair so be ready!

    okidoki987 "I reckon it would around 25/1 IBAS finding in your favour."

    What odds the draw?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭ jacool


    "Dear Mr.,
    Thank you for your adjudication form dated 9th July, 2012. We have received correspondence from Ladbrokes who have offered to return your stakes. If you are happy to accept their gesture of goodwill please let me know and I will instruct them to credit your account accordingly.
    "

    The term "gesture of goodwill" seems to be used in a few settlements here, but I am delighted. You lot had me convinced that I had no chance, but I now have a fund to go chasing the Uruguayans on the handicap this afternoon!


  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ curehead


    say no i am not happy with their "goodwill gesture" i would like to be paid in full
    for my bet !!


Advertisement