Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Office Season 9 [NBC - Spoilers]

• 05-07-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sources TV Line

The somewhat aloof character of Nellie, played by Catherine Tate, will be returning to The Office in season 9 as a series regular

Clark Duke soon will be one of primetime’s upperclassmen.
    The Kick-Ass actor is in talks to join The Office‘s upcoming ninth season as a series regular

The Office is set to undergo a mini-reboot this fall amid changes in front of and behind the scenes — including the departures of Fox-bound Mindy Kaling and showrunner Paul Lieberstein, as well as the possible exit of a soon-to-be spun off Rainn Wilson. Additionally, it was recently announced that B.J. Novak (Ryan) will not be returning as a regular

Comments

• The good:
    No more Robert California.
    Erm.
    Uhm.

That's it.

The bad:
    Everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

this show is such a mess now. Once they lose Dwight they're totally fcuked, he's the only reason left to watch.

• phasers wrote: »
    this show is such a mess now. Once they lose Dwight they're totally fcuked, he's the only reason left to watch.

Both he and Ryan and now it seems the latter won't even be returning as a regular.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Being a long time fan of the US Office, I'm very sad to see the direction the show is taking, it's dying a very slow death and should be put out of its misery. I'm worried its going to end up going the same way the last season of scrubs went..

shudder....

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

EP Greg Daniels has confirmed that "this will be the last season of The Office."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

EP Greg Daniels has confirmed that "this will be the last season of The Office."

Just more on the news that its going to be the last season,

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/the-office-ending-season-9-364352

Very sad to see it go but after Season 8 it's the right decision to end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

9 seasons is a great run, only watched season 1-8 a few months ago for the first time,

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Little_Korean

I'm currently watching season 6 on e3, anyone know if the later seasons will be shown afterwards. 'Cos I hope so!

I'm currently watching season 6 on e3, anyone know if the later seasons will be shown afterwards. 'Cos I hope so!

As far as I know 3e have rights for Season 7 as well, I haven't heard anything about season 8 but I imagine they will pick up the rights to it, sure how else can they fill the programming schedule, until Tallafornia comes back anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Ryan was always under used I thought.

Don't like Catherine Tate's character, even Dwight seems to be hamming it up, they had great potential with the face he bought the building @ it never went anywhere.

Pam & Jim have even become incredibly boring & dowdy (or is that art reflecting life?)

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »

Pam & Jim have even become incredibly boring & dowdy (or is that art reflecting life?)

Yea it seemed once they got married the writers literally ran out of ideas for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Catherine Tate returning for season 9 .......

The Michael Scot leaving episode would of been the perfect way to end the series.

• And now the Office has died a death. They quickly got rid of Kelly and Ryan.

And now the Office has died a death. They quickly got rid of Kelly and Ryan.

haven't seen the new episode yet, was it that bad? :(

• Just watch it and you'll see. A plus is that Toby and the rest of the secondary characters actually gets more screentime but.. that's about it.

i thought it was pretty good, we knew kelly was leaving and TBF ryan is more or less redundant unless kelly is there, so he had to go,

i loved how their setting it up for all the issues to get resolved this season, oscar hooking up with angelas husband, should lead to confrontation and the eventual break up of their marriage, leaving the door open for angela and dwight to get back together, also id say angela paid that doctor off to say it wasnt dwights kid, i wonder will angela kinsey be joing rainn wilson on his The Farm series,

jim and pam are in a rut, when the crew asked them about things moving forward they both kind of stalled, pam said shes happy with her boring life, but felt like really emphasizing it to an extent that shes clearly lying, and she has to now cause jim gave up that opportunity to go into business with his buddy, but in the end he decided to go ahead with it, so that means jim and pam will be leaving the office in the final episode,

i thought it was nice little reboot, clear out some characters and introduce the two new guys and finally have the filming crew talk to the employees, hopefully itll be a good season, it cant be worse that last season TBF

Toby is the scranton strangler :D
    - wrote: »
    Here are some clues and odd things that have happened in past episodes which raise eyebrows -

1. Toby may have very suddenly left for Costa Rica when someone witnessed one of his murders. It could have been an escape. He maybe spent his time in the hospital with a broken neck plotting their destruction. A piece of the evidence that could come out later is that for the period he was away the murders stopped. Also, why would these documentarians who, if they were legitimate filmmakers who commonly have very little funding, travel all the way to Costa Rica to film Toby?

2. Remember how quickly and nimbly Toby hopped the fence and ran away after he touched Pam's leg when they were locked in the parking lot? How many middle-aged HR reps can hop over fences like that? He is probably used to climbing in and out of his victims' backyards, parking lots and other dubious places where his murders take place. Yes, a stunt double was used to film it for the show, but within the reality of the show it's Toby.

3. Another person was murdered by the Strangler on what was supposed to be the day of CC's birth. This could have been out of Toby's jealous rage. It turned out to actually be the day when Pam and Jim's child was born because she was in labor for so long. Remember Andy had the front page of the newspaper framed as a gift to CC.

4. Toby said he wasn't sure the person convicted as the Scranton Strangler was guilty anymore. He was probably having a moment of regret and was reevaluating his life and the bad choices he's made.

5. He couldn't go into church and face God on the day of the CC's christening. He's racked with so much guilt and is worried how it will make him feel to enter a holy place. He also probably can't witness the holy sanctity of Jim and Pam's love. It would be a huge slap in the face to him and it'd be like God twisting the knife.

6. When the list of "winners" goes out to lunch with Robert California, Toby very suddenly and inexplicably gets up and leaves the table. Maybe he saw someone who knows who he really is.

7. In the 9th and final season premiere, Pam asks the documentarians, "Hey don't you have enough of this stuff already? It's just a paper company." This is something many of us have been thinking. What exactly are they filming for? Isn't 8 years enough footage to create something? And the drama they captured has been truly remarkable as far as real life offices go. In the original UK series, the documentarians wrap production after 1 or 2 years of filming and their edit is released as a reality series on BBC. But what exactly is the purpose here for these US documentarians? Yes, Pam's comment could have simply been used as a narrative device to motivate Jim into leaving Dunder Mifflin, set him on his quest, and to wrap up his character at the end. But perhaps it works on two levels instead of just one. That would be rather genius writing.

8. From a creative point of view, the writer's of the show have been using this device very dilligently throughout the series and it's become a recurring . They are looking for a way to wrap up the series and perhaps give it something else that is unique and further separates it from the original UK series. I personally think this would be a very excellent choice. Think about a light comedy series like this that actually, underneath it all, is a murder mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Haha, that would certainly vindicate Michael for the horrible way he treated Toby.
    don ramo wrote: »
    jim and pam are in a rut, when the crew asked them about things moving forward they both kind of stalled, pam said shes happy with her boring life, but felt like really emphasizing it to an extent that shes clearly lying, and she has to now cause jim gave up that opportunity to go into business with his buddy, but in the end he decided to go ahead with it, so that means jim and pam will be leaving the office in the final episode

Excellent post. It's nice that the show is getting the chance to end it on their own terms.

It's great that Jim and Pam won't be in the background this season, they're the heart of the show. They brought up Pam's art and used the new guy to emphasis Jim's recurring issues of his goals. Great that he made the call, can see them leaving in the finale, it may cause some conflict in the mean time, which I wouldn't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Creeds summary of what he thought was a circus in work was hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

This should be good, Broccoli Rob is coming, excellent choice.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/09/20/the-office-stephen-colbert/

• Advertisement

Did anyone see the second episode of the new series?

Awful, awful episode! And the office used to be my must see tv show every year. So sad to see it in the state it is in now.

I really wish Catherine Tate would F off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

This show jumped the shark years ago. There is still the odd shining moment of laugh out loud comedy but for the most part, it's garbage. Having said that, I'll probably keep watching until the finale. As Magnus Magnusson (RIP) said, "I've started so I'll finish" :)

• Admittedly the opening to the 3rd episode was pretty inventive and funny; their convincing Dwight that Jim was Asian all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Agreed about the opening, but the rest was pretty dull. The Office has also fallen afoul of that age-old mistake in TV of constantly discussing a good TV show in your crappy one.

Admittedly the opening to the 3rd episode was pretty inventive and funny; their convincing Dwight that Jim was Asian all this time.

Loved it! Even down to the family portrait! The cold open pranks to the Office were always some of the best scenes in the show!

The rest of the episode just dragged along! It seems like they're trying to pair up Jim Jr and Erin and have some tension between Jim & Pam which at this stage seems so forced. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That episode with the Office Bus was dire, I hate Jim and Pam so much now, they seem to be getting really pushed to the forefront this time around aswell. The writing seems to have gotten even worse aswell, its all regular American slapstick crap now instead of the usually higher quality you used to get with the Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

That was the shark episode.

OU812 wrote: »
    That was the shark episode.

Ah to be fair The Office has had plenty of shark episodes over the past 3 seasons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That was the worst thing Bryan Cranston has ever done.

• Advertisement

That was the worst thing Bryan Cranston has ever done.

I forgot he had directed that episode. To be fair to him the writers have to take alot of the slack for that episode, it was awful.

Advertisement