Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co. Wexford good food guide

Options
  • 30-06-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭

I see a few threads about specific areas like wexford town, gorey kilmore, Ross etc, but no county wide thread

I'll start the ball rolling.

Tonight I ate from

Regent chinese take away
    Welingtonbridge

Was very nice, decent sized portions, quality ngridients
    I had beef and blackbean, scrumptious.

So what did the rest of ye have for dinner, do you think it worthy of a mention

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Sounds good!

tonight, I'm not long back from dolce vita in wexford town. They do meals on Fri and sat evening. I'd never been there before - but at the moment do a 2 course dinner for 2 + wine for E50.

Portions were huge, food was really nice and the wine was acceptable. We were too full for desert or coffee. It was busy when we arrived, but service was good. I often forget about the place even for coffee, but will definatately be going back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I ate in the Thomas Moore in Wex town last week. It is a very nice spot. Expensive, but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

The Cistin Eile in Wexford town .
    Some of the best Irish food I've ever had and good value at €25 for 3 courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

Rippy wrote: »

Yep. Me the other half had two main courses and I had a glass of wine at a total €25. The lambs liver was otherworldly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Rippy wrote: »

I second that, ate there once only but will be back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Cistin Eile, ate there once. Very good menu, large portions, well priced wine list, some of the food was a bit salty but I wouldn't fall out with em over that.

Aldridge Lodge is a well visited family favourite. Similar menu to CistinEile, consistently good food and great service, homely but not as rustic as Warren Gillens premises. Multi award winner: fish, fowl and veg sourced from family or more recently their onsite garden. I wonder if they have availability this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Won't be able to contribute to this thread because I don't eat take-away's and don't dine in restaurants .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

wexfjord wrote: »
    Cistin Eile, ate there once. Very good menu, large portions, well priced wine list, some of the food was a bit salty but I wouldn't fall out with em over that.

Aldridge Lodge is a well visited family favourite. Similar menu to CistinEile, consistently good food and great service, homely but not as rustic as Warren Gillens premises. Multi award winner: fish, fowl and veg sourced from family or more recently their onsite garden. I wonder if they have availability this evening!

Where is aldridge lodge eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Won't be able to contribute to this thread because I don't eat take-away's and don't dine in restaurants .

Thread doesn't say that it has to be either! I don't frequent restaurants much these days - for financial reasons - but I like the odd Chinese and would recommend "The Five Star" takeaway in Slaney Street, Enniscorthy.

Most days I cook for myself and try to use organic or locally produced ingredients sourced from the Enniscorthy Farmers Market (organic vegetables, free range eggs etc.) and local butchers such as Stafford's on Rafter Street. By careful shopping it's possible to find lots of organic ingredients and they are not always dearer. Certainly a lot cheaper than eating out!

Tonight's dinner will include homemade chicken supremes (using local chicken, free range eggs and Stafford's stoneground brown bread), organic potatoes and carrots from the market - followed by slice slab of almost completely organic, homemade coffee cake (save for the butter), washed down with a couple of cups of organic tea (from Evolv on Castle Street) with organic milk and sugar from Pettit's. Their organic milk is about 16 cents a litre cheaper than other brands of ordinary milk but people just don't seem to get it!

Sorry for going on but the thread was crying out for my rant. :D

PS I had breakfast in "The Square", Enniscorthy during the Rugby World Cup which was excellent but it has since changed hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Don't eat out much myself either.

The Courtyard in Ferns do a very good €9.99 lunch (meat, potatoes and 2 veg), been up there a few times recently.

Have a longing on me to head down to the chipper in Kilmore Quay sometime soon where you aren't confined to sea fresh (as if) and square cod. Last time I was down there I think I had monkfish and something else that slips my mind, maybe lemon sole, not sure... both were very good.

• Advertisement

Yep, I'd go along with "The Courtyard" in Ferns - I used to go there when I had a life. Don't forget "The Dinky" takeaway in Courtown Harbour for chips - worth travelling there especially. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Aldridge lodge is in duncannon, well worth a spin. Reservation only mind!

This evening's meal was Barbecued Lamb Cutlets dipped in Balsamic Vinegar and Oil .( seasoned with salt & pepper )

3 minutes each side on the Barbecue tray and served with Wexford new potatoes / beans .

delicious .

CopyofDSCN4712.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Definitely agree with the chipper in Kilmore Quay, lemon sole, tartare sauces chips are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Well no point posting in it then. Maybe start a thread about alternatives to restaurants in wexford maybe shops selling decent foods etc.

Sunday lunch:

Wexford boiled potatoes with Back Bacon & fried cabbage .

Finished off with Wexford strawberries & cream ................delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

Don't forget "The Dinky" takeaway in Courtown Harbour for chips - worth travelling there especially. :D
    Great chips! But deep fried burgers :(

Sunday lunch:

Wexford boiled potatoes with Back Bacon & fried cabbage .

Finished off with Wexford strawberries & cream ................delicious

Home cooked I assume?

I had Wexford Lamb (bought from www.dublinmeatcompany.ie) - didn't know it was from Wex when I bought it - but it was spectacular, Bannow bay Queens, Carrots, peas, sweetcorn. yum diddly dum dum !

jd wrote: »
    Great chips! But deep fried burgers :(

WTF? Deep fried burgers ? yak

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

Is Papa Rhodes still open? Went there about 5 years ago, great food but expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

The Ballast bar in the Talbot hotel in Wexfrord is one of my favourite places to eat . food is fab and not too expensive either .

Had lunch at The Pig's Tail in Gorey today... very tasty, recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Riverbank Hotel, Wexford. I often eat there when i'm in Wex, fantastic food

The Antique Tavern in Enniscorthy does a mean line in Bacon Fries. :D

Riverbank Hotel, Wexford. I often eat there when i'm in Wex, fantastic food

Yup, good spot for a bit of lunch.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Don't eat out much myself either.
    The Courtyard in Ferns do a very good €9.99 lunch (meat, potatoes and 2 veg), been up there a few times recently.

5 years on, went up there last Sunday... €14 for your standard Sunday lunch, I had Roast Beef, father had Lasagna and Chips. It was OK, but nothing more than that and wasn't worth the money to be honest.

Maybe I'm out of touch and this is the average price for pub grub?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    5 years on, went up there last Sunday... €14 for your standard Sunday lunch, I had Roast Beef, father had Lasagna and Chips. It was OK, but nothing more than that and wasn't worth the money to be honest.

Maybe I'm out of touch and this is the average price for pub grub?

And they have a 9% vat rate now, imagine if they charged full rate?

All These places are profiteering imo, spent time in the west this year and you couldn't get a burger and chips or a fish and chips in a pub or restaurant for less than 14.50/16.95.

16.95 for poxy fish and chips, with lower vat rate they should cost less but gone are the days of the 12.50 burger or the 12.95 fish and chips.

I thought €10 - €12 was the average (pub/carvery mains).

Having spent €19 on dinner and a dessert last Sunday I really felt underwhelmed by the whole experience and probably wouldn't recommend The Courtyard anymore based on the price to quality ratio. Food has been a bit hit and miss at times too - exceptional one day, sub par the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Stamps in Enniscorthy do Kit Kats from the fridge which go down well with a pint of Guinness - the best in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Had dinner in Aldridge Lodge on Sunday, excellent service, produce and quality of cooking.

Pre-dinner drink each, 4 courses and a bottle of wine for 105 euro.

The quality on offer you wouldnt get close to that in Dublin. Have been there 5 or 6 times now and the quality is very consistent.

Advertisement