Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ferguson Ariva 150

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

stwome01 wrote: »

On the first page ....
    5. Only one of the two USB ports can be used at the same time

Would this mean the wireless dongle and USB drive cannot be used at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Good news on the chipset, something like this should work then for a fraction of the official dongle's price (DISCLAIMER: THEORY! UNTESTED! MAY NOT WORK!)

http://www.focalprice.com/CN0017B/Widemac_Ralink_RT5370_USB_20_Wireless_Network_Card_Black.html

Pity about the Youp*** in the menu. I'm sure there is a market for it but I for one wouldn't be in a rush to hand this one over to my folks.

Will wait until firmware and Irish channel lists become available, one to watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Good news on the chipset, something like this should work then for a fraction of the official dongle's price (DISCLAIMER: THEORY! UNTESTED! MAY NOT WORK!)

http://www.focalprice.com/CN0017B/Widemac_Ralink_RT5370_USB_20_Wireless_Network_Card_Black.html

Pity about the Youp*** in the menu. I'm sure there is a market for it but I for one wouldn't be in a rush to hand this one over to my folks.

Will wait until firmware and Irish channel lists become available, one to watch!

There are Ralink RT5730 ones available that have the aerial built into the PCB, just like the Ferguson branded ones. I think I have the OEM. Just waiting on them to arrive to test.

I have a few ordered to try as €20 for the ferguson dongle is a ridiculous price.

Tony from Satellite.ie is looking into this separately himself.

Will let you know how they work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

does anyone know if it's possible to get a 7 day satellite EPG using the wifi dongle? (sorry if that's a daft question)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

What exactly can you get over the web with these boxes? I tried with the 120 but all I could get was a few obscure internet radio stations. The blurb for the 250 pictures YouTube and Google TV, among others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

bmaxi wrote: »
    What exactly can you get over the web with these boxes? I tried with the 120 but all I could get was a few obscure internet radio stations. The blurb for the 250 pictures YouTube and Google TV, among others.

The Multiroom part in the Ferguson Blurb allows you to use the one paid for subscription card among other boxes in other rooms. This is on the official software.

This is not to be confused with the underground community of unethical and illegal cardsharing without having a valid subscription card and using unofficial firmware.
    Lpfsox wrote: »
    does anyone know if it's possible to get a 7 day satellite EPG using the wifi dongle? (sorry if that's a daft question)

To use Crossepg per Linux boxes ? No. Unless Ferguson release the source code, that wont happen.

STB wrote: »
    The Multiroom part in the Ferguson Blurb allows you to use the one paid for subscription card among other boxes in other rooms. This is on the official software.

This is not to be confused with the underground community of unethical and illegal cardsharing without having a valid subscription card and using unofficial firmware.

Don't really understand that. What I was wondering was, if I attach it via network cable to my router can I pick up YouTube or is there any advantage in having a network connection at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ChorleyMatt

bmaxi wrote: »

Don't really understand that. What I was wondering was, if I attach it via network cable to my router can I pick up YouTube or is there any advantage in having a network connection at all?

Yes, the network connection allows you access to YouTube and other bits and bobs. I've put my 250 in today but not had too much of a chance to play around.

I'll try to upload some pics and initial impressions of the box over the next few days. Must say I like what little I've seen so far.

Right, I've had a little bit of a play around with the Ariva 250 so here's my first impressions:

First off, after unboxing it the first thing you'll notice is it's small - you'll get an idea of just how small from the pics attached. After quickly plugging everything in I stuck in a Cyfra+ card - the channels were already tuned in so away I went. The top of the box has a Conax symbol but I'm reliably informed the card reader can handle Conax, Seca-Mediaguard and Viaccess.

Channel change is speedy enough and menus are clear. HD picture is very nice and clean, SD can look good enough but if you feed it a pixelated mess it's not a miracle worker. I have output set to 720P as this setting seems to suit my TV best, there's options in there right up to 1080P for those that want/need them. Now for a pleasant surprise - the receiver outputs full 5.1 audio (when available) through the HDMI. Brilliant! Audio quality generally is good but I have noticed lip-sync issues at times - very slight but noticeable. Maybe there's a firmware update for this, can't say as I've looked.

The front of the unit displays channel name and is dimmable too in the menus - good for viewing a movie channel in a darkened room. When off the unit just has a single red LED illuminated - no clock if this is something you care about. Menus are clear and operation is slick. From what little I've tried the Web interface seems to work okay - includes YouTube, RSS News feeds and even a Weather app if you can't be arsed looking out of the window. YouTube played a couple of 720P videos through the receiver with no issues at all.

The remote feels nice in the hand (if a little lightweight) and has a rubberised back. The top is shiny plastic but very susceptible to fingerprints - see pic - so I reckon it'll look pretty tired quite quickly. Button response seems fine, unlike my previous Protek MK-I receiver which had possibly the worst remote on the face of the planet. The remote is capable of controlling five devices including the STB and, in addition to a database of preset codes, has a learning function. I've entered codes for my Panasonic plasma and Pioneer blu-ray but it looks like I'll have to teach it the codes for the Yamaha amp.

Motor control appears to be working well (though even I'd struggle to break it this quickly) and a blind scan on 28'E didn't seem to take too long. I couldn't see an option for scanning individual transponders but I might just be being thick (what? me? read the manual?). I've attached a 320gb hard drive but not had chance to set any recordings so far - sorry.

Good Bits
    Good picture quality
    5.1 audio through HDMI
    Multi-function remote with learning facility
    Slick interface and web apps

Not so Good Bits
    Slight lip-sync issue
    That shiny remote won't stay that way for long!

That's about it for now. Hope this helps.

20120708_124828.jpg

20120708_124901.jpg

20120708_124812.jpg

20120708_133236.jpg

• Advertisement

Got mine up and running too, it does have a clock, programmable in the installation menu. Managed to get YouTube as well but nothing else, the unit seems to eat bandwith as everything was very slow downstream of it in a wired ( powerline adapter) system. Picture and sound very good, didn't notice any lip sync issue but then I didn't have that with the 120 either, seems much easier to navigate than the 120. One thing I didn't like was, it doesn't tell you which favourites menu you are in in the onscreen banner, I'm used to this with the 120 but it's a small price to pay for what seems to be another bargain from Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Right, I've had a little bit of a play around with the Ariva 250 so here's my first impressions:

First off, after unboxing it the first thing you'll notice is it's small - you'll get an idea of just how small from the pics attached. After quickly plugging everything in I stuck in a Cyfra+ card - the channels were already tuned in so away I went. The top of the box has a Conax symbol but I'm reliably informed the card reader can handle Conax, Seca-Mediaguard and Viaccess.

Channel change is speedy enough and menus are clear. HD picture is very nice and clean, SD can look good enough but if you feed it a pixelated mess it's not a miracle worker. I have output set to 720P as this setting seems to suit my TV best, there's options in there right up to 1080P for those that want/need them. Now for a pleasant surprise - the receiver outputs full 5.1 audio (when available) through the HDMI. Brilliant! Audio quality generally is good but I have noticed lip-sync issues at times - very slight but noticeable. Maybe there's a firmware update for this, can't say as I've looked.

The front of the unit displays channel name and is dimmable too in the menus - good for viewing a movie channel in a darkened room. When off the unit just has a single red LED illuminated - no clock if this is something you care about. Menus are clear and operation is slick. From what little I've tried the Web interface seems to work okay - includes YouTube, RSS News feeds and even a Weather app if you can't be arsed looking out of the window. YouTube played a couple of 720P videos through the receiver with no issues at all.

The remote feels nice in the hand (if a little lightweight) and has a rubberised back. The top is shiny plastic but very susceptible to fingerprints - see pic - so I reckon it'll look pretty tired quite quickly. Button response seems fine, unlike my previous Protek MK-I receiver which had possibly the worst remote on the face of the planet. The remote is capable of controlling five devices including the STB and, in addition to a database of preset codes, has a learning function. I've entered codes for my Panasonic plasma and Pioneer blu-ray but it looks like I'll have to teach it the codes for the Yamaha amp.

Motor control appears to be working well (though even I'd struggle to break it this quickly) and a blind scan on 28'E didn't seem to take too long. I couldn't see an option for scanning individual transponders but I might just be being thick (what? me? read the manual?). I've attached a 320gb hard drive but not had chance to set any recordings so far - sorry.

Good Bits
    Good picture quality
    5.1 audio through HDMI
    Multi-function remote with learning facility
    Slick interface and web apps

Not so Good Bits
    Slight lip-sync issue
    That shiny remote won't stay that way for long!

That's about it for now. Hope this helps.

20120708_124828.jpg

20120708_124901.jpg

20120708_124812.jpg

20120708_133236.jpg

class job, good first write up ;) mine's delayed till monday. ups pricks

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Lads can ye post up images of the onscreen displays for info etc?

O'Prez wrote: »
    Lads can ye post up images of the onscreen displays for info etc?

Took some earlier to do a "walk through" on the YouTube bit - hope they're okay?

20120708_161514.jpg

20120708_161535.jpg

20120708_161550.jpg

20120708_161701.jpg

20120708_161826.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Thanks a lot. The menus look a lot classier than on the 120. Do you know if you can load a channel list saved from the 120 on to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Do you know if you can load a channel list saved from the 120 on to it?

No its not a good idea

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Thanks a lot. The menus look a lot classier than on the 120. Do you know if you can load a channel list saved from the 120 on to it?
    I think you'll find it quite easy to set up a channel list via the remote control. There's a scroll page function and the process for select, move, delete etc. is very user friendly.
    One thing I have noticed is, it has the same problem with RTE Junior and RTE 1+1 as the 120 had.

Unwraps 250. Plugs in. Greeted with polish menu & manual. Polish language default*

Tony laughs quietly to himself. *:D

dodzy wrote: »
    Unwraps 250. Plugs in. Greeted with polish menu & manual. Polish language default*

Nah :) Grab yourself a copy of the english manual (its a common manual for 150 and 250 ) theres a link kindly provided a bit back in the thread.

edit: http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/HD-Satellite-Receivers/Ariva-150-Combo/manual_EN.pdf/

Tony wrote: »
    Nah :) Grab yourself a copy of the english manual (its a common manual for 150 and 250 ) theres a link kindly provided a bit back in the thread.

edit: http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/HD-Satellite-Receivers/Ariva-150-Combo/manual_EN.pdf/

Thank you kind sir. Had it already prepped ;) Was just gonna start on a channel list this evening. Then I had a brain fart and contemplated with taking the list from the 120. Might just take the chance, against my better judgement. Somebody needs to crash this baby !

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »

Mine came with a separate English manual, I was very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

New firmware for Ariva 150 and 250, Fixes some bugs and lets you connect to your receiver via Android phone using "Ariva Remote" app now available in Google play store.

http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download.html

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Ferguson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tony
    Did you come up with a price for the 250 for boardsies?

If you cant post it, maybe you can pm me.
    thanks

Sorry but I'm still working on that as we have another order of 150 coming in tomorrow , I work with another company now to bring in bigger numbers of boxes so its not my decision alone I'm afraid.

Tony
    Did you come up with a price for the 250 for boardsies?

If you cant post it, maybe you can pm me.
    thanks

givecredit wrote: »
    New firmware for Ariva 150 and 250, Fixes some bugs

Thanks. Any idea what bugs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Has anyone tried the usb dongle function?
    As in dongles other than the ferguson one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Tony wrote: »
    Thanks. Any idea what bugs ?

Im afraid not.

Text taken from Ferguson website:

"The new system software version introduces many fixes and improvements dotyczas bugs reported by users. We recommend upgrading to the new version and restoring factory settings on it in order to "clean"'s settings.

The main novelty is that, as of this version, m ożliwa the operation of the receiver by means of any device based on Android system by the free application: Ariva Remote"

http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/

givecredit wrote: »
    Im afraid not.

No problem, I wondered as I'm not aware of any bugs so far . That may just be standard ferguson text they put on every new firmware .

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wanaknowmore

Received the 150 last Friday from satellite.ie (Tony: thanks for sorting the cabling out) and installed at the mother in laws.
    My first impression was that the box and interface was slicker and more responsive than the 120. Pressing OK gives you the channel listing and the now and next programmes are displayed for the highlighted channel. My mother in law thinks this is great as she doesn't have to mess around with program guides etc. She has issues using remotes so the simpler, the better.
    The 150 worked straight out of the box with no issues (lip sync) observed. Looks like its a good successor to my 120.

• Advertisement

Picking up both Kippure and Three rock transmitters now on an indoor aerial in Tallaght . This could be a solution for anyone who can receive both transmitters and is experiencing the RTE +1 problem. What you do is manual scan in one transmitter during the day when RTE jnr is on and the other one at night when RTe +1 is on

Advertisement