Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[GEAR] Lube

Options
  • 20-06-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I went without on a lake swim on monday night and my neck is now raw, but thankfully the seeping has stopped, so....

Anybody have any recommendations for products to prevent wet suit chaffing? I've tried body glide but the stick fell apart after a couple of applications - not ideal. I don't see any other products for that specific purpose on wiggle - just this chamois cream i was thinking of trying:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/natures-kiss-chafe-ease-90g/

Will it do the same job?

I've heard that plain old vaseline eats away the suit - is that marketing schtick or not?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I use baby oil myself on days the sun isnt out. Just make sure to wash it off the suit immediately afterwards although i have my suit a few years now and have left it a few days at times before cleaning and it hasnt suffered any damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Vaseline

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Vaseline

You'd know all about that eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭griffin100

KY jelly always works for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    You'd know all about that eh?

A big lob of vaseline solves most problems in the world!!
    griffin100 wrote: »
    KY jelly always works for me :)

Make sure its not the one that increases sensation:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 MyWebPersona

If just training swims maybe Rash vest under wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I got this stuff which you would buy for the name alone

Century Riding Cream.

Its good stuff, I like it, apart from the wintergreen smell, as mentioned in this review. It helps stop chafing on the bike and in the wetsuit, and I use it to lube wrists and ankles for getting the darn thing off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Thanks for all the responses - I neglected to mention that on monday I put on my wetsuit in a rush and failed to close the neck properly, which is why it was so bad, I won't forget the next time. Still though reminded me that I need to get something for it.
    I think I'm going to go with low-tech, cheap and widely available Vaseline - the solution to so many of life's little problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

From what I can gather the main issue with Vaseline is if you need to repair the wetsuit, it can be hard to properly clean the seams to get the wetsuit glue to set properly or use adhesive tape on it.

I used to use body glide but have been using the centry riding cream lately too, both work grand for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Certainly not trying to be smart here, genuine observation. I had that neck burn problem for my first year or two in tri but never anymore. I personally put it down to an improvement in breathing/technique. Why? Less head movement. Taking a breath with the natural rotation while swimming freestyle.

IMO use this as motivation to improve technique :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Is the baby oil gel stuff okay to use, or will that destroy the wetsuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Amz wrote: »
    Is the baby oil gel stuff okay to use, or will that destroy the wetsuit?

It seems to be fine. I used it nearly all last year and this so far and there's no marks on wetsuit or degradation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Cool, thanks :)

Advertisement