Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 910xt Condensation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Haven't had any issues with mine, from swim to sauna and back, a heated pool to cold outside, hot indoor turbo session to outside etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the good thing is you did 2 sesions in 12 hours and that sounds pretty good to me and will bring you closer to where you used to be.
    Why worry about stuff that is not important- like condensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    the good thing is you did 2 sesions in 12 hours and that sounds pretty good to me and will bring you closer to where you used to be.

Cause it could kill the unit. Wiggle have said send it back to them. Will get it back to them tomorrow.

Will take more than two sessions to get back! But I'm determined to get there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Yep, got condensation on mine. Only 2 weeks old. Bought it in US but have facility to return.

Went for sea swim on the 11th. Then ran 12th - no problem, on 16th it was quite warm and sunny where I was running (10 miler) and about half way through a central blob of condensation appeared. It lasted about 20 mins and then disappeared.

Seems to be common enough though after a bit of research....in two minds to send back....

Just goes to show that buying local has its advantages....Silly me :eek:

Garmin and Wiggle both say "get bent"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

tunney wrote: »
    Garmin and Wiggle both say "get bent"

So they wont accept the unit back...is this right?

Looks like my decision to not buy local could work out.....

I've had a polar for 5 yrs prior to the garmin switch and it never had condensation. Poor play from Garmin.

potsy11 wrote: »
    So they wont accept the unit back...is this right?

Looks like my decision to not buy local could work out.....

I've had a polar for 5 yrs prior to the garmin switch and it never had condensation. Poor play from Garmin.

Yip, won't accept it back.

Told them I'd send it back when it dies of water damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I actually have this on my 310XT and have done since the start which is now about 2 1/2 years!

Bambaata wrote: »
    I actually have this on my 310XT and have done since the start which is now about 2 1/2 years!

Wiggle have now said that they will send it back to Garmin for inspection. But cannot guarantee they will take it back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Itll be interesting to see how this pans out. Ill be due an upgrade soon (well possibly another year or so) as my 310 is getting fairly battered! The power button has gotten stuck inside twice now and the print on the front is completely worn off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Nah, he's obviously overtraining if it's suffering like that. Think of what could be happening inside his body :D Less is more...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mark19184

I've had mine since they were released. I had the same problem at the start but it seems to have only happened once or twice. I have dealt from a business 2 business level with Garmin Warranty previously and found them quite good actually

mark19184 wrote: »
    I've had mine since they were released. I had the same problem at the start but it seems to have only happened once or twice. I have dealt from a business 2 business level with Garmin Warranty previously and found them quite good actually

Emmmmmm

I have a feeling that I will be wasting my time with trying to send it back.

Seems that over 50% of people have this problem on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mark19184

My problem only happening a few times is probably an indication of current training levels more so than anything!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

@bambaata sounds like beginning of the end buddy :( that was what preceded mine giving up on the morning of Ironman Galway 70.3, it was the 'enter' button for me. Led to me pacing the HIM bike leg as if it were only a Olympic distance tri, I suffered. Went through 10k on the run in 38min, suffered big big time for the next 11k :o

Condensation thing happened mine too but I can't remember was it this unit I have now or the one I had to send back for a swap (numerous issues). Anyway when it did happen cleared after 5min and if it is this unit it asnt happened in weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Mrs jones had that problem with her 110 when she got it 1st but after a few uses the condensation just went away.

I was looking at santa bringing me a 910, i might hold off.........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've logged 155 hours on mine (nearly all running, but a few swims/cycles) and it fogged up on me for the first time last Sunday. It happened when the temperature changed during my workout from quite cool, to quite hot (the reverse of the Garmin support comment). The fogging disappeared after around 20 minutes (while still on the run).

Used to happen on my 405 under the same circumstances (if the day changed from cool to very hot pretty quickly). The 405 is still going strong, so I hope it will be the case with the 910. Still not great for an expensive piece of equipment and not sure if their explanation gives me any great sense of relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

It doesnt solve your problem. But Garmin Ireland cover all units bought in stores in Ireland including online purchases from the same store.

If there is any problem you get a straight swap for new. I've seen this same condensation issue with FR110 and there's no quibble, swap it out and stock is replaced.

You may pay a bit more due to currency exchange etc (most Irish stock comes from the UK) but I know the 910XT was launched at €450 incl heart rate which was cheaper than the big UK based online stores.

I certainly would not expect to see any condensation in a waterproof unit under any conditions and I reckon a worded email to Garmin UK or US (wherever bought) and posts on facebook pages etc should get a result for you. Very poor form from resellers telling you to "get bent" or however they worded it.

It doesnt solve your problem. But Garmin Ireland cover all units bought in stores in Ireland including online purchases from the same store.

If there is any problem you get a straight swap for new. I've seen this same condensation issue with FR110 and there's no quibble, swap it out and stock is replaced.

You may pay a bit more due to currency exchange etc (most Irish stock comes from the UK) but I know the 910XT was launched at €450 incl heart rate which was cheaper than the big UK based online stores.

I certainly would not expect to see any condensation in a waterproof unit under any conditions and I reckon a worded email to Garmin UK or US (wherever bought) and posts on facebook pages etc should get a result for you. Very poor form from resellers telling you to "get bent" or however they worded it.

€375 was what I paid for it including the HRM strap. Bought from UK online store. After some good arguments today going back to them tomorrow and they will return to Garmin "but no guarantee of it being deemed a manufacturing defect".

Will just have to stop training until it comes back!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

I'm no expert but if I see condensation in an IPX7 certified (sealed) watch irrespective of the brand - it would suggest to me that water moisture (which shouldn't be there!) is indeed inside.

It was impossible to read during a run or cycle and happened randomly at the start of a run or cycle. And more worryingly water was obviously present in it and I'm assuming would cause damage in the long term.

I have a Polar watch that I've used for years as an everyday training watch and it has never fogged up - no matter what the temperature fluctuations.

I took the nuclear option and ended up selling my (3rd replacement) 310XT. I just ended up getting the Edge 500 for the bike and a (beautiful) Forerunner 610 for an everyday watch / racing watch.

It was more expensive but I'm a hell of a lot happier!

• Advertisement

Got a new one from Wiggle on Tuesday. haven't swam with it yet and its already fogging.

Looks like Garmins manufacturing process is pure sh1te. Won't be touching their power meter pedals with a barge pole!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Mine hasn't fogged (yet, touch wood) but since the 2.5 FW update:

- The elevation has gone nuts
    - It stopped syncing with the ANT agent on my computer
    - All my laps show the average speed as "00:25/km"

Here's hoping 2.6 FW update comes out soon and fixes what 2.5 has just broken (and were fine in 2.4) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

less that works is better than more that dosnt work.

less that works is better than more that dosnt work.

The light blue macaw flew silently through the jungle vines as the wind whistled through the rushes.

tunney wrote: »
    Got a new one from Wiggle on Tuesday. haven't swam with it yet and its already fogging.

Looks like Garmins manufacturing process is pure sh1te. Won't be touching their power meter pedals with a barge pole!

If you're down my way for a weekend give me a shout. Try the Polar pedals, I know about your view on the RCX5 but they are developing an all in one which might be the fix.

I can't understand all the issues with the Garmins, it shouldn't be that hard to get right.

If you're down my way for a weekend give me a shout. Try the Polar pedals, I know about your view on the RCX5 but they are developing an all in one which might be the fix.

I can't understand all the issues with the Garmins, it shouldn't be that hard to get right.

Garmin's manufacturing process seems to be weak. Very weak.

Would like to try the pedals, a friend had a pair for a while although i never got a chance to try them!

Hadn't heard rumours of the "all in one" watch. Any details?

Not yet. Its a whisper I heard last Spring pre RCX3 launch, planned for Autumn / Winter. DC doesn't know about it yet but has put a few feelers out.

Am waiting to hear about the promised firmware update for the RCX5 which will allow it to hook up with the pedals.

Not yet. Its a whisper I heard last Spring pre RCX3 launch, planned for Autumn / Winter. DC doesn't know about it yet but has put a few feelers out.

Am waiting to hear about the promised firmware update for the RCX5 which will allow it to hook up with the pedals.

Polar don't DO firmware updates without a return to base. I think by the time Polar and Garmin get their act together I'll have hung up my shoes and wheels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

d4r3n wrote: »
    Mine hasn't fogged (yet, touch wood) but since the 2.5 FW update:

- The elevation has gone nuts
    - It stopped syncing with the ANT agent on my computer
    - All my laps show the average speed as "00:25/km"

Here's hoping 2.6 FW update comes out soon and fixes what 2.5 has just broken (and were fine in 2.4) :rolleyes:

I've had #1 and #2 intermittently since 2.5 and my HR was fubar the other day but went back to normal after a reboot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Rew wrote: »
    I've had #1 and #2 intermittently since 2.5 and my HR was fubar the other day but went back to normal after a reboot...

#2 isn't really an intermittent problem. More of a constant. it only affects you if you look at individual laps on your watches' history. What I can;t understand is that the problem was pointed out in the original 2.5 firmware, so when I upgraded to a further 2.5 point release, I assumed it would be fixed. Shoddy product testing.

Advertisement