Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beast of Ballyhoura 2012

Options
  • 18-06-2012 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing this event in August?

http://www.beastofballyhoura.com/

I know, I know, strictly speaking, this shouldn't be in the Tri/Dua/Messing forum. ;)

I know one boardsie is doing it, crossing to the dark side.

Anyone else? I'd like to do it so if anyone is looking to set up a team or needs another body, give me a shout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yep, I'm in can't wait and kind of sh!tting it :D Did a hike to bike and my first ever MTB trails spin at the weekend.. fun stuff! I like the fact that its an event where you can fuel yourself with ham sandwiches :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

What team are you on?

Yeah the fueling is appealing, a couple of sambos over manky gels.

I think we are called the Celtic Warriors

True, I had turkey, houmus and chees rolls, mars bars and nutri grain bars on my little recce at the weekend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Looks like good craic, how does the course breakdown, I don't see the details on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

Its an adventure race! You'll find out the course the day before. I don't think Ivan has the course completely finalised yet (lots of recce-ing and planning has been going on), but he might be able to give a rough breakdown of the main disciplines if he's feeling generous :). But at 36 hours, there'll be plenty of cycling and trekking in there without doubt.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Looks like good craic, how does the course breakdown, I don't see the details on the website.

Last year I heard that there was lots of kayaking, cycling, air rifle shooting, archery, swimming, trekking, and puzzles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Last year I heard that there was lots of kayaking, cycling, air rifle shooting, archery, swimming, trekking, and puzzles :)

You can print off the puzzles from the results sheet last year. Kills the last 30minutes of an afternoon at work :D

You can print off the puzzles from the results sheet last year. Kills the last 30minutes of an afternoon at work :D

30 mins. How long would they take if you have been awake and on the move for 30 hours? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

30 mins. How long would they take if you have been awake and on the move for 30 hours? :)

Well I didn't exactly time myself. And surely with a team of 4 you'd get them done in 5 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Well I didn't exactly time myself. And surely with a team of 4 you'd get them done in 5 min.

Last year, you were given all puzzles at once, so dividing them out among the team meant quicker progress. Doing them as a team might not quite work out as well, something about too many tired cooks...

Last year was my first time doing it, really hope to sort a team out for this years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Pat_R

HI , we're a bit last minute, but we're looking for a team, Tina Reed & Pat Rodgers :)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Anyone doing this event in August?

http://www.beastofballyhoura.com/

I know, I know, strictly speaking, this shouldn't be in the Tri/Dua/Messing forum. ;)

I know one boardsie is doing it, crossing to the dark side.

Anyone else? I'd like to do it so if anyone is looking to set up a team or needs another body, give me a shout.

First proper dive into Adventure Racing this weekend. Helps to have Enduro on the team :D

Any other Boardsies doing it?

Found out an old rowing crew mate of mine is on another team... game on!

Swim
    Trek
    Navigate
    Mountain bike
    Abseil
    Shoot
    Bows and Arrows
    Zipline
    Hill run
    Trails

Non stop for 36 hours.... Gulp!

Advertisement