Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar CRM CE

• 12-06-2012 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

Morning,

As I recall this used to be known as Sugar CRM Open Source Edition. As far as I can see, it's still Open Source and fully functional, but it doesn't seem to be promoted at all as an option for businesses. Is anyone using this for business right now, and are there any major disadvantages to it vs the hosted edition, rather than the fact that we do not have support / hosting included?

Seems to me like the hosted edition does not give value for money if you have a lot of users, and the Community Edition has lots of plugins available. Written in PHP, would also be interested in your thoughts about the security and difficulty to customize / develop SugarCRM.

James

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I've not looked recently but the Community Edition (CE) was always lacking some basic functionality that was present in the commercial editions.
    For example you could create a Quote but it was only a value not based on specific products. You needed the commercial edition for this functionality. But if you just wanted straight forward sales support it is well suited.

There is a fork of Sugar that's been around quiet a while that I preferred called vTigerCRM - I see they now also offer hosted solutions.

SugarCRM was definitely a little more polished but vTiger allowed the creation of Products, Sales orders & Invoices. It was more like a small business solution that a pure sales force automation (CRM) so it really depended on what was required.

Another benefit of Sugar is a lot of other tools have ready made integration - the BPM software Bonitasoft comes to mind but there were many more times I found ready made integration for Sugar.

Advertisement