Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

**HL FRENCH...Before/After**

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Duffman K wrote: »
    Comprehensions were grand, I got A and D,

Written pieces I did 1A) wrote that young people should be happy and compared Irish youth to people in 3rd world and how we should be happy.

2a) In first year I learned the word for ladder and I said I would use it in my my LC, with question 2a i did:D

4b) It disagreed with the statement saying that theres no point holidaying in Ireland due to bad weather and its expensive etc..

Aural - Wasnt the best for me, I misheard the guy speeding, the one about food and i heard the word gauffre meaning waffle :L

One thing I am worried about is that I went waay over the word count for all written pieces, I asked my teacher and she said I would lose marks but im just worried about all the extra grammar mistakes:(
    Our teacher continually showed us the old chief examiner's report while we were preparing for the exam and the examples of the top marked reactions always amounted to about 200+ words so I wouldn't be very worried about that

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lauz94

Darksider wrote: »
    lauz94 wrote: »
    Would a possessive adjective be something like,'mon,ma,mes,ton,ta,tes..and so on? :/

yep. the answer i had was 'son'
    Got the same answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Duffman K wrote: »
    Comprehensions were grand, I got A and D,

Written pieces I did 1A) wrote that young people should be happy and compared Irish youth to people in 3rd world and how we should be happy.

2a) In first year I learned the word for ladder and I said I would use it in my my LC, with question 2a i did:D

4b) It disagreed with the statement saying that theres no point holidaying in Ireland due to bad weather and its expensive etc..

Aural - Wasnt the best for me, I misheard the guy speeding, the one about food and i heard the word gauffre meaning waffle :L

One thing I am worried about is that I went waay over the word count for all written pieces, I asked my teacher and she said I would lose marks but im just worried about all the extra grammar mistakes:(

Don't worry you wont lose any marks and for people saying that you lose 1 mark per mistake...that is nowhere in the marking scheme :) I wrote way over the word count yesterday too and did the same in my pres .... dont be worried about it. Ha gauffre! the word was coffre boot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

grantyrs10 wrote: »
    Ha gauffre! the word was coffre boot :)

I heard "cófra" so I wrote down something about a press. :( Didn't even think twice about it. :( How did so many people know the word for "boot"? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

sarahmocks wrote: »
    i disagreed with how young people have lots to be happy about! is that okay?

It gave a statement and said explain why, I don't think you could have disagreed but presuming your french was good and your points made sense, you might not lose too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kilfeather94

really worried about some of the french essays I wrote. Can't remember if I used an "ant" ending for some of my verbs instead of "ent". will I lose lots of marks for incorrect verb endings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Togepi wrote: »
    Ha gauffre! the word was coffre boot :)

I heard "cófra" so I wrote down something about a press. :( Didn't even think twice about it. :( How did so many people know the word for "boot"? :confused:
    I said trunk so i am hoping they know what I meant!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

I really doubt you could lose alot just for verb endings , i wouldn't worry about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

I was just going through the first comprehension and i just can't make out the answers to Q5 part (i) and (ii). Can anyone help?
    I know its best not to dwell on the exams once you've finished them, but i want to know if i'm still in the running for an A1. Its strange because i understand every word of the comprehension but still find no definite answer to these...

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I was just going through the first comprehension and i just can't make out the answers to Q5 part (i) and (ii). Can anyone help?
    I know its best not to dwell on the exams once you've finished them, but i want to know if i'm still in the running for an A1. Its strange because i understand every word of the comprehension but still find no definite answer to these...

I was the exact same in the exam! This is what I got:

(i) moyennant quelque sacrifices

(ii) Le phenomene est tres specifique a la region Parisienne.

Gah these 2 answers will probably decide whether I get an A1 or not D:

• Advertisement

Wesc. wrote: »
    I was the exact same in the exam! This is what I got:

(i) moyennant quelque sacrifices

(ii) Le phenomene est tres specifique a la region Parisienne.

Gah these 2 answers will probably decide whether I get an A1 or not D:

The answer to the first question is "Les parents de Xavier émargent a la classe moyenne"

and i think i got the same for (ii)

The answer to the first question is "Les parents de Xavier émargent a la classe moyenne"

How do you know? I wrote that down initially and then put a line through it..oh well.. do you think I'll still get marks?

I said that as well, it means 'Xavier's parents earned average wages' the other part about them having to make sacrifices is just as relevant I think though, maybe they might both be right, often is the case that there is more than one right answer. And for the one after that I tried make my own sentence saying this was specific to Paris and that his cousin bought a house 'en Bretagne'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

That's what I wrote too, but I still wasn't convinced of whether or not it was the right answer. Are you sure it is?

Well it's a bit vague, the question was something like show the phrase which suggests Xavier's parents were deprived of certain things. To be honest I'm still not sure which is correct, I wrote that at the time, but the other part suggests they could give away their home 'with some sacrifices'? But really, is it a time to get bogged down in these things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

RedTexan wrote: »
    But really, is it a time to get bogged down in these things?

No! Especially because I can't remember what I wrote and all these posts are just making me nervous. :pac:

They're both right, be grand.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

RedTexan wrote: »
    Well it's a bit vague, the question was something like show the phrase which suggests Xavier's parents were deprived of certain things. To be honest I'm still not sure which is correct, I wrote that at the time, but the other part suggests they could give away their home 'with some sacrifices'? But really, is it a time to get bogged down in these things?
    Oh my GOD I read that as private...what I answered was "We dont know how much money they make - they are "middle class"" or something, dya think I'll get any marks for it? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Patchy~ wrote:
    Oh my GOD I read that as private...what I answered was "We dont know how much money they make - they are "middle class"" or something, dya think I'll get any marks for it? :/

That's exactly what I read it as as well, only realising now that it was deprived. For some reason though I decided to put down the sentence which said they had to make sacrifices to be able to have their home, in my head that answer made no sense at the time..... pure poxy!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

That doesn't make any sense though, the question's asking you for the expression which suggests that Xavier's parents were deprived of certain things, so that would be the one about sacrifices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Yeah, that means they're middle-class, it doesn't mean having to make sacrifices.

''Relevez l'expression qui suggere que les parents de Xavier se sont prives de certaines choses.''

''moyennant quelques sacrifices'' is the obvious answer.

Namlub wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense though, the question's asking you for the expression which suggests that Xavier's parents were deprived of certain things, so that would be the one about sacrifices.

Ooops yes sorry about that ... just realised i read the question wrong :S oh well its only 5 marks :D

Delighted :D For once changing my answer at the end of an exam was the right thing to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

first i thought it meant private, but that didn't make sense, so then i thought it meant privilaged fml :L what did ye get for 5 (ii), still can't figure out the answer. would ''Il émarge à la classe moyenne'' be any way right? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

123 LC wrote: »
    first i thought it meant private, but that didn't make sense, so then i thought it meant privilaged fml :L what did ye get for 5 (ii), still can't figure out the answer. would ''Il émarge à la classe moyenne'' be any way right? :/

It was asking why Xavier's cousin in Brittany had already been able to buy a house, so I quoted from the text about how the problem is specific to the Paris region

Advertisement