Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Commission Pricing

Options
  • 02-06-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Okay so I'm planning to do commissions in the summer soon enough. More specifically digital painted portraits(an example below I did of myself), basically I get a photo of you do my thing and send you the file.
    So I'm not really sure on pricing as this is my first time really doing this, I was thinking along the lines of €30 because they are quite time consuming pieces but I fear that may be to expensive as you aren't getting the piece in person, just the a high resolution file that can then be of course printed and used. Also as I'm not well known, I know I have to competitive with others, so as to draw in more attention.

So Basically I'd love some advice on how to price a portrait like the one below?
    I guess the question really is: How much would you pay for a portrait of yourself like the one below?

Thanks in advance,
    Dillon Brannick.

commission%20example.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Id say 25euro would cover the amount most people might spend on a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dillonbrannick

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Id say 25euro would cover the amount most people might spend on a present.

Thanks for your input, at least someone was willing to say something. You could be right with the present point view, but I still don't want to sell myself short, but then again I think I'd still be comfortable doing it for €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

It is hard to price something until you know what your market is like - have you seen others doing something similar? Test it out - it is a tough business but unfortunately it is impossible to put a price on it - it really is all about what people are willing to pay.

Wish you the best with it :)

Cork_girl wrote: »
    It is hard to price something until you know what your market is like - have you seen others doing something similar? Test it out - it is a tough business but unfortunately it is impossible to put a price on it - it really is all about what people are willing to pay.

Wish you the best with it :)

Yeah,
    It is difficult I will be just throwing it out there when I get the chance.
    People will negotiate me down if they're too highly priced too.
    Thanks for the advice.

you could do a 25 euro digital option, with a 50 euro, printed option, for people who have to have something physical.

• Advertisement

you could do a 25 euro digital option, with a 50 euro, printed option, for people who have to have something physical.

Thanks for your input.

Yeah I could do, but I don't really see the point I wouldn't buy something like that myself, because I know I could probably print it myself cheaper, so they'd just buy the digital option and print it themselves as it'll max come to 35 unless they were to print on canvas or super big.
    Also the reason I want to do digital commissioning is so I don't have the stress of shipping and printing to worry about, so I can focus on drawing. As this is my first time, I don't want to pile on the work and I may not be able to handle it.
    This would be something I could start doing once I get settled into it.

It seems though that people think 25 is reasonable.

Another question do you think if a set a higher price, people would negotiate me down? Or just say he's priced that way too high?

I would say no, its not really something you can compare.

Like you say, you know a A3 print costs €35, if you see someone selling one for €50, straight away you either walk away or you negotiate.

With your work, if I say it at €75, I'd say 'Oh nice but outta my league' I couldn't compare it to anything else.

I think €25 is a good place to start.

I think €25 is a good place to start.

Fair enough, that makes sense. I guess your right until I become more well known and improve some more I can't expect people to spend a lot, plus it has to be accessible to anyone so I have the best possible chance of making sales.

Just thinking, you could charge 25euro for 1 person, so 2 people in the pic could be 40 euro. A family of 4; 60 euro.

Just thinking, you could charge 25euro for 1 person, so 2 people in the pic could be 40 euro. A family of 4; 60 euro.

That was definitely my plan, more people is more work, but I think a 40% discount for 4 people is a bit steep, but I'd definitely do some sort of discount, but I don't one so drastic.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for all the help, I have started the commissions on €25, but I haven't included any discount for multiple purchases, I figured I'll be able to give the discount at my discretion if this occurs, or the consumer will negotiate prices with me.

Where are you selling them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Remember*** No website links advertising please.

Where are you selling them?

if you google my name (Dillon Brannick), you'll find it, it should be the first link, it'll be titled "Dillon Brannick - Artist+Animator". That should do it, there's a button for commissions on the home page.

I hope that doesn't count as a link.

Advertisement