Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/Worst time to busk on grafton street?

Options
  • 30-05-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hey just thought I'd throw out this topic on whether or not there is a best or worst time of the week/day to busk on grafton? I've been told by buskers that lunchtime on weekdays is not a good time to busk becuase passers-by are rushing to get lunch.

In my own experience, there is too much aggro between buskers on Saturdays over spots :p. I personally found Sundays the best day as the atmosphere is fairly relaxed:D. I play an acoustic and sing without amplification.

What are your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I want to say after hours on a weekend because you won't be battling it out with 5 piece bands with full PA systems, or a soloist with an amp powerful enough to be heard on the northside.. but at the same time, you'll have drunken morons wanting to play your guitar and show you how it *should* be played.. But then again, drunk people can be very generous..

Tough call..

I want to say after hours on a weekend because you won't be battling it out with 5 piece bands with full PA systems, or a soloist with an amp powerful enough to be heard on the northside.. but at the same time, you'll have drunken morons wanting to play your guitar and show you how it *should* be played.. But then again, drunk people can be very generous..

Tough call..

Aren't amps, pa systems etc, all banned on Henry St and Grafton St?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Slappa de Bass

Have to agree with IrishKev. It's like any business, if you're willing to get your hands dirty you can clean up.

Friday and Saturday nights and big match nights are the best time to busk, although you do have to put up with a few ejits, you can clean up because drunk people are definitely more generous with their cash. And I'd rather play to a few drunk people who were a little loud and annoying but paying me, than play to a few quiet, sober, misers.

Also, drunk people are not all bad, if you can interact with them, get them on your side and have a laugh with them, you can make it work and everyone knows that drunk people follow each other, so you'll get a bigger audience with more cash potential. This is literally how Temple Bar has been surviving.

In short, just embrace the drunken fools, enjoy yourself and you'll get what you want out of it.

... and don't forget to learn "Wonderwall"...

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

... and don't forget to learn "Wonderwall"...

*shudder*

LOL.. made me shudder too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement