Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2012 Women's triathlon 04/08/2012 9am

Options
  • 28-05-2012 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

she has a chance to medal

Lets stay realistic top 8 is realistic
    medal about as likely as 4 weeks no rain in Ireland...
    Still she is now a true world class athlete which is fantastic.

Yep, top 10 woud be a great result IMO and if she progresses on current form could push a few places better. I thought her sprinting away from BR Diaz was a good scalp. You never know what will happen. Assuming everyone is fit and gets to T2 safely it could be a super tussle between Jenkins, Findlay, Densham, Hewitt and one or both of the other aussies regardless of who they select.

Who else could you see on the podium? A breakaway bike with Norden, Spirig, Bennett, Haug... Is London too flat for a decent breakaway?

for ailleen make the first bike pack I guess she will need the help of miss spirig and miss norden to bring her there on the bike
    as I am pretty sure the Us and Uk will drive the pace very hard in the swim
    and I think uk s 3rd athlete will be one of the 2 young super swimmer to work as domestique for jenkins , and jenkins and bennett are good friends so they will work hard for bennett this is really her only chance to get a good result to be in a breakaway.
    so it will be most likely 2 usa 2 uk moffat etc trying to get away
    and spirig and nordan to close the gap on the bike.
    a if its a non wetsuit swim the chances are higher that they get away
    if its wetsuit swim chances are higher it will be one big pack into t2.

the great thing unlike 4 years ago where only 2 girls could win,2012 you have some 8 girls that have a fair chance with really only jenkins sticking out a bit as she is the most consistent in all 3 and home advantage . and I have no idea where findlay is but for her not having raced for 1 year is not the best thing or maybe it is depnds on her character.

Anyway we have had so many suprises at the olympics .....

The domestique approach is an intersting perspective on these races and really adds an advatage to the 8 countries with 3 athletes. I guess smart federations will strategise around the domistique approach of some nations.

Is Aileen's swim not good enough to make the first bike pack in its own right? :confused:

good enough for first pack , yes
    but that would be the swim break away of the real top swimmer .
    and could be some 6-9 people .

peter kern wrote: »
    and I have no idea where findlay is but for her not having raced for 1 year is not the best thing or maybe it is depnds on her character.

Paula Findlay has a hip injury according to her blog (from April). She'll be touch and go for even making the olympics I'd say.
    MrCreosote wrote: »
    her silver medal in the World Series event the best ever performance by an Irish triathlete on the world stage, and better still against many of her chief rivals come August 4th

No Jenkins, Densham, Moffatt, Bennett, Norden... Where would she have finished with all of them in there?

Still, it was a fantastic result for Aileen and she can only beat those who turn up. I hope it shows her that she is capable of podiums and I hope she can repeat that when the field is a little more loaded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Just the same- qualification now over.

I'm looking forward to this race-much more open than the men's I reckon.

Outside medalling chance for Ireland?

I'm predicting the Aussies will go for Moffatt,Densham and Snowsill. Which will be a poor choice I reckon as Snowsill is too far off the pace to threaten the medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

More twitter rumours and gossip...

Brett Sutton "Olympic itis selection madness kicked off by great britain pick a young swimmer over lizzy blatchford a hard bitten world cup winner f. mad"

So looks like the guesses on here about GB getting a strong swimmer to tow Jenkins along and aim for a breakaway on the bike are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

If thats the case I can see their point, it will be all about Jenkins on that day. Stimpson, Blatchford, Holland none of them have a chance of a medal but Hall (I assume) who Sutton is hinting at can drag Jenkins along on the swim, any time I have seen her race with Jenkins they have come out leading

Who is the other pick I wonder, Holland didnt do her chances any harm in San Diego coming out of the swim breakaway with Jenkins?

catweazle wrote: »
    If thats the case I can see their point, it will be all about Jenkins on that day. Stimpson, Blatchford, Holland none of them have a chance of a medal but Hall (I assume) who Sutton is hinting at can drag Jenkins along on the swim, any time I have seen her race with Jenkins they have come out leading

Who is the other pick I wonder, Holland didnt do her chances any harm in San Diego coming out of the swim breakaway with Jenkins?

Yeah my money is on Holland. She's just altered her plans to go to Switzerland which I see as being her upping her training ready for the Olympics. 7th in Madrid won't have harmed her chances either.

• Advertisement

Everything is pointing towards the third triathlete being Hall (with Jenkins and Holland). Good move imo.

I do feel sorry for Blatchford and Stimpson as they will miss a great occasion but I think this is the right decision for the team. It does put a clear signal to all the others as to their tactics though.

Emma Snowsill not selected for the Aussies. Tough decision,but the right one I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

I see odds up for this race... Jenkins appears to be crazy short in the betting...

http://www.oddschecker.com/olympics/triathlon/womens/winner

Any thoughts on who can beat her?

Is Paula Findlay fit to compete?, if she could get back to last years form she would be one that could win but its doubtful she is out for around a year now

Denshem or Jorgenson if it comes down to a running race

And in a bunch finish perhaps Nicola Spirig has the fastest sprint

But in all honesty its Jenkins race to lose, will London be a wetsuit swim, this might be important as its obvious Lucy Hall was picked to get a break going on the swim. No break and it becomes a running race more than likely as the bike course is very flat

Her blog has her down to compete, although not updated since July 1st.
    She's a pretty bad hip injury which has been hampering training apparently.

I can't see her finishing above midpack, but you never know...

• Advertisement

Paula Findly tweeted a couple of days ago that she is now able to race again. If she's kept herself in shape like Ali Brownlee did she could be challenging.

I think Spirig will win it on the run but I think Jessica Harrison could suprise a few people. I'd love jenkins to win a medal though.

I will go for in order

Densham
    Spirig
    Jenkins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

bombidal wrote: »
    I will go for in order

Densham
    Spirig
    Jenkins
    Hard to call alright. Densham would have to attack the run from the start but I think Jenkins and Hewlett could hold on. If Spirig is still there she would take it. She has the best kick. Densham is the nicest runner but is she the toughest?

I would be slow to rule Moffat or Norden out of a medal too.

For those who bet. www.betfred.com are offering 40/1 Aileen Morrison to win a Medal in the olympics. Is a great price. She has a much better chance than those odds reflect.

http://www.betfred.com/sport?betid=+1292205.2+&navitems=+48016.2%2c48017.2+&market-group=1292205.2&action=market-group-list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

bombidal wrote: »
    For those who bet. www.betfred.com are offering 40/1 Aileen Morrison to win a Medal in the olympics. Is a great price. She has a much better chance than those odds reflect.

http://www.betfred.com/sport?betid=+1292205.2+&navitems=+48016.2%2c48017.2+&market-group=1292205.2&action=market-group-list

when will we know wetsuit or no wetsuit race ?

good and important question - don't know the answer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I reckon Findlay takes this.
    I know she's been injured a long time but reckon she pulls it out of the bag.
    With Spirig and either Jenkins or Densham on the podium.

Be great to see Aileen swim like Hamburg and get in that front bike group.

Not long now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I would still be putting my money on Jenkins. She won on the same course last year & I just think the home crowd will give her that bit extra to spur her on to victory. Going to be a fascinating race though, much more open than the mens.
    Any one of four could take the gold, Jenkins, Densham, Findlay, Spirig & Hewitt with an outside chance.

Then you have the likes of Gwen Jorgensen who could potentially cause an upset & take a medal. She is one of the fastest runners on the circuit & the bike course is flat which means it will probably all come down to who has the most speed left for the run. Can't wait. :)

where is the best qoutes for bets on medals (not going to bet on winner since i have no idea)
    for densham spirig moffat and norden (jenkins quote is useless i think )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

@Peter here is a link for a betting comparison site for the triathlon finals Time for me to call it, left it as long as I could.

1st: At 6/1 with PP Findlay is my pick too. I would be worried that she will fold under the pressure she puts on herself but I think she'll handle it.

2nd: Spirig

3rd: Jenkins

Very excited now :D

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    when will we know wetsuit or no wetsuit race ?
    Wetsuit race unsurprisingly.

25 euro are on the line go australia switzerland and sweden ;-)

Ohhh shouldnt have flicked over to BBC - from Keane to now watching Chrissie - great stuff! I am more looking forward to the womens race then the mens, its wide open!

1st Jenkins

2nd Spirig

3rd Denshem

Come on Aileen :D

€10 on the nose at those odds offered by PP :)

Love to see Findlay win. She was outstanding before her injury.

But..C'mon Jenkins!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

anywhere to stream it online? bbc is saying "not available"
    rte seams to be show the rowing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

Doh found it on RTE :o

go here it's the live stream and pick Triathlon

Impressive swimming from Hall.

• Advertisement