Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weston Airport

Options
1356740

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase


    Xpro wrote: »
    Locals are making it as if it was a nuclear station right beside their houses.
    God forbid if the same people lived in swords/santry area, can you imagine heavy jets overflying 24/7.
    They'd be all hanging on the ropes.

    This is just typical irish scenario, never happy. If it rains you want sun, if its sunny you want rain!!

    I live in the above mentioned area and can tell anyone who doesn't that there is a near constant drone from the jets at DUB. On days when 16 is in action there is a fairly loud rumble every 3 mins or so as a jet takes off out over us! We don't whinge though!


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch


    Xpro wrote: »
    Locals are making it as if it was a nuclear station right beside their houses.
    God forbid if the same people lived in swords/santry area, can you imagine heavy jets overflying 24/7.
    They'd be all hanging on the ropes.

    This is just typical irish scenario, never happy. If it rains you want sun, if its sunny you want rain!!

    Sorry Xpro, dont even hear them now as the main runway is south of the airport so Swords is a haven of peace and tranquility:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p(until the parallel is built)


  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase


    Yer one states in one of her various cock and bull sessions that Weston has a runway that is 924m long and this is a violation of what it is licences for under it's aerodrome code(800m runway). Am I correct in my assumption that the 924m includes the safety factor of 1.15. As with that factored into the runway length you get about 800m.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8 flyingpopeye


    I was very surprised when going to Weston Today to look at booking lessons with Skytrace to find that they were no longer there. I was with them last week and there was no mention of them moving to Waterford. Is there move anything to do with the sale of the airport or is it a decision PTC / Skytrace made on their own?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer


    No nothing about Skytrace but there was an Instructor here who mentioned some outfit winding down. Bit of a coincidence I think. Skytrace was the Dublin branch of PTC. Like I said I have no idea but it seems a bit of a coincidence.

    Nothing to do with Weston I think though.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase


    I was very surprised when going to Weston Today to look at booking lessons with Skytrace to find that they were no longer there. I was with them last week and there was no mention of them moving to Waterford. Is there move anything to do with the sale of the airport or is it a decision PTC / Skytrace made on their own?

    Was Skytrace turning a profit? I was under the impression it did PPLs only and was a feeder for PTC. Like a big net to drag people from Dublin down.


  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101


    I heard a rumour that Eddie Stobart the UK haulage company has bought Weston.

    Has anyone else heard this? I know that they own a 5% stake in Aer Arran so it wouldn't be his first venture into aviation.


  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭clown2brown


    Very probable that they have acquired Weston as a means of strengthening their recent expansion of operations here in Ireland. Stobart Air already have operations in London Southend Airport and Carlisle Lake District Airport.


  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Neworder79


    Now that would be an interesting development. They wouldn't be buying it to keep a few air schools going. Cargo transport hub and regional air connections are their aim for Carlisle and Southend. Expect a hell of a scrap with residents if true, not to mention planning.


  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase


    Neworder79 wrote: »
    Now that would be an interesting development. They wouldn't be buying it to keep a few air schools going. Cargo transport hub and regional air connections are their aim for Carlisle and Southend. Expect a hell of a scrap with residents if true, not to mention planning.

    The runway would have to be lengthened for any meaningful cargo ops to happen. Not sure that would work for them to be honest.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101


    LeftBase wrote: »
    The runway would have to be lengthened for any meaningful cargo ops to happen. Not sure that would work for them to be honest.

    Surely there is enough "runaway" available if you were to include the clearway?
    I know that it would not be easy to get the clearway reclassified.

    But at least there would be no actual Tarmac needing laid....


  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase


    logie101 wrote: »
    Surely there is enough "runaway" available if you were to include the clearway?
    I know that it would not be easy to get the clearway reclassified.

    But at least there would be no actual Tarmac needing laid....

    The locals/naysayers/Planners and the IAA would blow the top. Weston would have to be reclassified and there would be issues with locals etc. Plus the surface of the clearway isnt in brilliant condition exactly from what I've seen...

    Look at it this way...they get their knickers in a twist over C152s....cargo aircraft, even turboprop only cargo like an ATR on something like a 3 degree glideslope?...doubt it.

    Also I'd imagine Weston may need an ILS for it, or at least a better instrument approach and a better "CAT situation" as cargo ops dont work well when weather dependent(remembering we're in Ireland)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu


    I got first-hand confirmation from PTC that Skytrace will be pulling out of Weston in the near future, due to the situation with the sale of the airport. They could not give me a date but for now they are continuing their operation from Weston, although their phones are being diverted to Waterford.


  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase


    Su Campu wrote: »
    I got first-hand confirmation from PTC that Skytrace will be pulling out of Weston in the near future, due to the situation with the sale of the airport. They could not give me a date but for now they are continuing their operation from Weston, although their phones are being diverted to Waterford.

    What effect does the sale of the airport have on them?

    I suspect that the arm of the company is not profitable, and so they are centralising to save money. Just my opinion though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer


    Much as I'd like to stir it among the nimbys by suggesting it could be turned into a 24 hour cargo hub or regional airport with jets and turboprops arriving all night. That's highly unlikely. It's too close to Dublin airport and there is no real benefit in that idea for the new owners, be they Stobart or anyone else.

    In any case the new owners will be perfectly aware of the planning issues. So no doubt a PR blitz will be the first thing on the agenda. Not that it will do any good unless they intend to turn it into a public park. If the new owners intend to close it as an airport one can only hope they intend to replace it with a brand new motor racing track. Ireland's first Formula 1 Grand Prix circuit. If they thought it was noisy before................................:P

    This is all rather ironic considering Galway airport's possible fate as per an article in the local paper today. The owners might close it next month and are offering it up as a site for industry. Galway has all the facilities Weston needs and the locals want it to stay as an airport. But it might close anyway.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu


    xflyer wrote: »
    Much as I'd like to stir it among the nimbys by suggesting it could be turned into a 24 hour cargo hub or regional airport with jets and turboprops arriving all night. That's highly unlikely. It's too close to Dublin airport and there is no real benefit in that idea for the new owners, be they Stobart or anyone else.

    In any case the new owners will be perfectly aware of the planning issues. So no doubt a PR blitz will be the first thing on the agenda. Not that it will do any good unless they intend to turn it into a public park. If the new owners intend to close it as an airport one can only hope they intend to replace it with a brand new motor racing track. Ireland's first Formula 1 Grand Prix circuit. If they thought it was noisy before................................:P

    This is all rather ironic considering Galway airport's possible fate as per an article in the local paper today. The owners might close it next month and are offering it up as a site for industry. Galway has all the facilities Weston needs and the locals want it to stay as an airport. But it might close anyway.

    You don't appreciate the value of something until it's gone. If Weston were to go the same way I think the nimbys would soon realise that they really didn't have an issue with it and that the real issue is the M4, as mentioned before!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase


    Certainly I would hope anyone who buys Weston will be buying an aerodrome to develop. It would be a sad blow if it was to close. Somehow I dont think it will however.


  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro


    Very probable that they have acquired Weston as a means of strengthening their recent expansion of operations here in Ireland. Stobart Air already have operations in London Southend Airport and Carlisle Lake District Airport.

    Stobart Air own Carlisle and Southend airport, seriouly big outfit, but honestly i dont think Weston would be up to the job for their ops, unless they turn it into a big truck parking/loading area.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA9LRyA7Bx8&feature=youtube_gdata_player


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer


    Even better juggernauts thundering past their houses all day and all night!:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase


    xflyer wrote: »
    Even better juggernauts thundering past their houses all day and all night!:D

    And a large fleet of 747-800Fs 24/7 3mins apart!:D

    Like the good old days in Hong Kong!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Viatecum


    The 'action' by an outfit calling itself 'Combined Action Against Weston' (CAAW) -nothing subtle there! - was entered in the High Court in 2004. CAAW was in fact an individual who claimed to represent 4,000 people in the Lucan area and who had previously acquired some notoriety by flying a kite in the path of landing aircraft which was ended by gardai. The legal action ground to a complete halt as the plaintiff was required to provide 'security for costs' - in other words to show that he could pay the costs of a High Court hearing if he lost. He couldn't and didn't. Had he proceeded he would have been unlikely to succeed by virtue of Section 55 of the Air Navigation and Transport Act 1936 which says, "No action shall lie in respect of trespass or in respect of nuisance, by reason only of the flight of aircraft over any property at a height above the ground, which, having regard to wind, weather and all the circumstances of the case is reasonable, or the ordinary incidents of the flight, so long as the provisions of Part II of this Act and any order made under the said Part II and any regulations made by virtue of any such order are duly complied with."
    In effect, provided an aircraft is operating in accordance with the relevant licences of the airfield. the aircraft and the pilot no liability for noise or nuisance can be sustained. This act is replicated in almost every country where aeroplanes operate as, without such legislation, a legal action would be possible every time an aeroplane flew over a house. Ms Catherine Murphy TD may wish to take note.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu


    Just an update on Skytrace. A new company, East Coast Flight Training, has formed in its place, independent of the PTC, but with some of the same staff and one of the planes (the G-reg Warrior). They will be getting a second aircraft later in the year (probably a Tampico).


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012




  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer


    Thanks Viatecum, interesting name for a first post considering what it means. That in fact is useful information. Do I know you? I feel I do.

    Clearly it's just an individual stirring things as I've found from my experience.

    Kenny, clearly that's a clue. C'mon give us more.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat


    Well I learnt a new word today!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viaticum


  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭TW Mr Tayto


    xflyer wrote: »
    Thanks Viatecum, interesting name for a first post considering what it means.

    Especially apt as the account was created in '08.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012


    Nice visitor today

    G-OPLC De Havilland DH.104 Dove 8 Columba Aviation

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7397722884/in/photostream

    Ken


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88


    Kenny2012 wrote: »
    Nice visitor today

    G-OPLC De Havilland DH.104 Dove 8 Columba Aviation

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7397722884/in/photostream

    Ken

    That brings back my youth watching the Devon's in/out of Northolt ... nice one .

    Jeez just checked it out , that used to be VP962 from 207 sq , so it is one of the Devon's I used to watch ....... happy dayz


  • Registered Users Posts: 9 DeltaDev


    Any update on what's happening with Weston? Who are the new owners?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini


    Tenger wrote: »
    Still there this morning!!!:7289754056_ba3b14398a.jpg
    Unrelated but anyone know why all the land on the other side of the motorway, behind Becketts, has been cleared off?


Advertisement