Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce North

Options
  • 17-05-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,
    2 questions for Gaelforce North - first, could anyone offer advice on whether to use a racing bike or a hybrid? Does the cycling route contain sections that aren't suitable for racing bikes? Also, if using a racing bike what tyres are best to use?

Second, are we better off staying in Bunbeg or Gweedore?

Thanks!
    Niamh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 siobhanb79

Hi Niamh,
    Siobhan here one of the organisers of the event.
    Ill let you on last years competitors answer your question on the bike choose.
    With where to stay, you are better to stay in Bunbeg as that is where the buses will be leaving from and also where prize giving and finish line are.

Hope training is going well
    Siobhan

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jjpk

Hi,
    I did it last year and would definatley go with a racing bike - its practically all on roads. If you can get them, you might want to get puncture resistant tyres cause there is only one section that is 'off road' (about 4 kms after you come down from errigal and last for about 5-8 kms as far as i can remember - then you back onto the road to get to the finish line) and i did go past two unlucky people who got punctures on that section.
    By the way - they send you up the STEEP route for errigal so enjoy :):):)!!!
    Teac Hudai Beag is a great spot for a celebratory pint too (in Bunbeg)
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 coill100

Hi there,
    I did this last year, great fun. Use the racer with a good chip resistant tyre's, don't use cleats on the bike, this takes up a lot of time on the race.
    The roads are pretty good but the off road section is bumpy with lots of sharp stones...... be warned.....
    As regards to where to stay, gweedore and bunbeg are one in the same, its a parish which is pretty spread out, places to say can be found in the bunbeg - derrybeg areas as these are close to the start and finnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcgoony27

That's great guys, thanks for the replies!! Will invest in some puncture resistant tyres so! Training is behind schedule at the moment - eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bohoman

best tyres are continental Gatorskins, I have them on a year and not one punture, they have a reputation of being bullet proof, be sure to have good pressure in the tyres, 80-100psi min

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18801&gclid=CJezw4CzubACFcUmtAodvF2I6g

this shop in in Antrim..hope this helps, happy training, Noel

• Advertisement
Advertisement