Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You Too May End Up On The New Project Maths Exam Paper!

Options
  • 09-05-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

So how is your Maths? Stats was always one of my favourite part of maths and also one of the many reasons I like triathlon is the stats, figures etc... Lizzie Lee made the 2011 Paper 2, could it be you this year??

Go to page 10 try out the question too if you've time (email the answers to me and I'll mark you ;))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So how is your Maths? Stats was always one of my favourite part of maths and also one of the many reasons I like triathlon is the stats, figures etc... Lizzie Lee made the 2011 Paper 2, could it be you this year??

Go to page 10 try out the question too if you've time (email the answers to me and I'll mark you ;))

I had a dream this week I was studying for leaving cert maths, I woke up in a panic. Havin seen his paper I have no need to panic. Is 'project maths' a nice name for foundation these days or is that the ordinary level paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is 'project maths' a nice name for foundation these days or is that the ordinary level paper?

Yes on both counts. An awful lot of educators have complained that project maths is too-dumbed down, and will severely impact on any prospects Ireland might have for a decent knowledge economy. There's no matrices, or vectors, for instance, (and calculus is all but dropped), and that's just at higher level. The ordinary level is childs play, as can be seen from the histogram example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I don't know what "Project Maths" means but thats the kind of question 5 year old Indian kids would be able to answer. Is this really the level expected of 17/18 year olds? Saw a link to a film on here somewhere call "Idiocracy", it now seems very close to the bone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Yes on both counts. An awful lot of educators have complained that project maths is too-dumbed down, and will severely impact on any prospects Ireland might have for a decent knowledge economy. There's no matrices, or vectors, for instance, (and calculus is all but dropped), and that's just at higher level. The ordinary level is childs play, as can be seen from the histogram example.

These are pretty much the foundations of engineering. There will be a rude awaking for those graduating out of Project Maths when they hit Engineering Maths or Mechanics at college.

I thought the idea behind Project Maths was to make maths easier to teach not easier.

dev123 wrote: »
    These are pretty much the foundations of engineering. There will be a rude awaking for those graduating out of Project Maths when they hit Engineering Maths or Mechanics at college.

I thought the idea behind Project Maths was to make maths easier to teach not easier.

Engineers Ireland were one of the first to complain. They're being proactive, by offering free online tutorials for Leaving Cert students.

I'm halfway through a BSc in Math&Stats with the Open University, this year an awful lot of current teachers are taking one particular module. (Current teachers in that their primary subject is not maths, but they are teaching LC maths). The standard of questions that get asked at tutorials has made my jaw drop, questions about the most basic fundamentals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Engineers Ireland were one of the first to complain. They're being proactive, by offering free online tutorials for Leaving Cert students.

I'm halfway through a BSc in Math&Stats with the Open University, this year an awful lot of current teachers are taking one particular module. (Current teachers in that their primary subject is not maths, but they are teaching LC maths). The standard of questions that get asked at tutorials has made my jaw drop, questions about the most basic fundamentals.

How much does a secondary school maths teacher earn? Maybe its time for a career change!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

How much does a secondary school maths teacher earn? Maybe its time for a career change!!!
    Not enough. I wouldn't have the patience to deal with the kids or their parents for that matter!!!

Question 7 (b)(ii) is wrong- Jerome was the slowest person in the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

@mloc Ya thats an ordinary level paper.

Project maths certainly has it's faults, being rushed into the cirriculum, leaving parts of the course out vital for engineering, jam packing way too much content making it extremely difficult to get everything covered in a satisfactory manner. Is it dumbed down? No, but the assessment of it is a bit of a joke, marks given for any aul sh1te. The biggest problem? It has completely alienated the already struggling learning support students as there is more reading and interpting to be done, an important part of real world maths but there is already a huge literacy problem in this country as well as numracy problem.

Advertisement