Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Bike weight important for a beginner

Options
  • 25-04-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

now obviously it is,especially to those at a higher level, but is there a point in stressing over a kg or 2 in difference at my level ( 38 mins for 20k, on a good day :) )
    for example i currently have a cheapo hybrid with tri bars, its supposedly 10.5kg
    id like to get away from that to a road bike, preferably a better brand and preferably a lighter bike.. but i cant go nuts on the price of it either..
    so having looked around at some bikes that are within my price range a lot seem to be either the same or heavier..
    for example there are a couple at the 12kg mark, .. is that 2kg going to make that much / if any difference to me..
    but i have a real mental block on buying a heavier bike than the one i have..even if its a piece of sh1t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Nope.

No difference at all until you get to a level where you're less than 1 minute off fastest bike split.

Concentrate on the engine until then, and once that's working well see if you can afford and justify a TT bike upgrade which would be worth more time than a lighter road bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Defo no difference if like me you weight 100kg, more in my interest to get rid of the weight of a bike off myself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

on flat course weight means nothing I even remember for one 1 hour world record they put lead pieces at the end of spokes close to the rim .......
    if its a flat course it really dosnt matter not even if you are within 1o sec of the fastest bike split. having a watter bottle in the wrong place matters far more to your speed .
    on hilly courses it does matter a bit
    but 95% of triathletes can lose 2 kg elsewhere.....

having said this i have not seen many road bikes that weight 12 kg
    go for a 2nd hand bike

jackmott

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

a 12kg road bike sounds like cycling a tank alright. 2nd hand is the way to go - When i was looking around last year there seemed to be great value on donedeal and adverts and the like on almost new road bikes.

I could speculate and say that they were probably unused bike to work jobbies. But point is they were barely used and usually come with the necessary extras

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah but the problem with second hand is i cant apply the bike to work myself and save 40% of the price, sell my own for a few pennies and i have new for eff all... and it can be paid off weekly
    theres definitely a lot on done deal and adverts.. the other issue with second hand is bike size.. most seem to be for shortarses..im 6 ft 1.. not too many large frames going secondhand
    anyway the search continues ..
    what i was looking at was

http://www.chaindrivencycles.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-sparkstore-accordion.tpl&product_id=379&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=74

seems its actually 14kg, but for another 60 quid theres a trek 1.2 available..think itl be the trek.. if i can convince the bank manager :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Are you sure about the weight of that bike?? I'd be surprised if its much more than 8.5kg if its an alu frame and carbon forks.

I couldn't see the details on that website you linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

2012 frame is 1400g...
    misread that sorry.. as you can see i evidently know f*ck all about bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    on flat course weight means nothing I even remember for one 1 hour world record they put lead pieces at the end of spokes close to the rim .......
    if its a flat course it really dosnt matter not even if you are within 1o sec of the fastest bike split. having a watter bottle in the wrong place matters far more to your speed .
    on hilly courses it does matter a bit
    but 95% of triathletes can lose 2 kg elsewhere.....

having said this i have not seen many road bikes that weight 12 kg
    go for a 2nd hand bike

jackmott

Assuming that peter is not jackmott on slowtwitch...............

Advertisement