Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goggles

Options
  • 23-04-2012 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

I'm a terrible swimmer. Big issue for me is that I have to wear contact lenses under the goggles and if I even think i'm going to get water into my eyes/ lenses I panic :o so I tend to keep my head above water.

So... I've taken the plunge and am starting swimming lessons. I need goggles with minimal chance of leaking. Are there any that are better than others in that respect or are all goggles created equally?

(and I'm highly unlikely to be signing up for a tri anytime soon unless my new goggles also give me new powers:pac: although you never do know :cool:).

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have you tried prescription goggles?

All goggles leak sometimes if you haven't got them fixed properly.

I have these though, takes a few lengths to get them right sometimes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/aqua-sphere-kayenne-goggles/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I think it depends on the shape of your face, I have gone through loads in my time with varying results. The Speedos and Adidas didn't last long before they leaked, I had varying success with Zoggs, their cheapest ones the Endura I think they are called served me very well, so I them moved up to one of their more expensive goggles, the Predator which were useless.

I am now using the Aquasphere Kayannes after being recommended them and I love them, not a sniff of a leak after 7 months on the go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

...they do nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Aquasphere eagle goggles have removable lens and a range of standard replacement lens -1.0 to -5.0 in half steps (-1.5, -2.0 etc) available. Costs roughly €30 for the goggles and €15 for each of the lens which are sold singly to allow for L/R balancing.

These are ideal for contact wearers in pool sessions. Not so practical for racing as you need to put in the contacts before heading on the bike. The Aqausphere Vista or Seal are great for full eye coverage and don't leak if fitted right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

All goggles leak sometimes if you haven't got them fixed properly.

Yeah.. it'll probably be trial and error in getting it right.
    catweazle wrote: »

I am now using the Aquasphere Kayannes after being recommended them and I love them, not a sniff of a leak after 7 months on the go!

Sounds good. I'll have a look.
    ...they do nothing!

:confused: If you mean that being able to see won't actually automatically have me swimming well then dammit... I thought it was going to be that easy :pac:
    Aquasphere eagle goggles have removable lens and a range of standard replacement lens -1.0 to -5.0 in half steps

I'm -8 :o though would probably get away with -7 in goggles. I'd actually assumed prescription goggles would be more complicated and expensive. I've just done some googling and do see there are options
    even at my strength but the aquasphere don't go that low which is a pity since 3 of you have recommended the brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I use contacts myself and fortunately have settled on a goggle the last 3 years that never really leaks for me. Its a personal thing though. I went through a few before i settled on the Aqua Sphere Kaiman goggles. I generally pick them up when i see them on sale. Actually have two sets spare at the moment! I generally get the guts of a year to 18months out of a set so at about €15/16 they're a bargain

I laugh when people say they are "premium" goggles and that their €5 pair are perfect. They're not for everyone and is €15/16 really breaking the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

LCD wears prescription goggles. I'm pretty sure his swim times have nothing to do with his sighting so he might have something to say about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

To balance this up a little I tried a pair of the Aqua Sphere Kaiman last year and found them to be absolutely crap. Leaked and leaked badly from the off. I gave them away after using them twice. I have found the TYR Tracer Racing goggles a much better fit. The adjustable nose piece being crucial in my case. Like Bambatta I have a two spare pair in the wardrobe at home.

Its all about finding what suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

I've tried a few different types:

Aquasphere Kayannes were sh1te

My first pair of Blue seventy vision were really good and then when I changed to a new pair of the exact same model they leaked really badly :confused:

Speedo Futura Ice have always worked well for me and are relatively cheap - less than €20 in Heatons. The kids wear the junior versions and they love them!

Speedo also allow you put together your own set of prescription goggles, though it's a bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I wouldn't have much confidence in goggles with removable lenses not leaking, but as they're prescription goggles I guess the consequences won't be too bad, seeing as you won't be wearing contacts.

Just speaking from personal experience I've never been particularly happy with any pair of prescription goggles I've bought. My recommendation would be just to buy a decent pair of regular goggles and wear contacts.

As others have said different goggles work best for different people. Personally I think Zoggs are the best, but it could be different for you.

If you find a pair of goggles that suit you and take care putting them on before the swim leg of a race, it's unlikely they will leak. More likely to occur during pool training though, where you'll probably be lifting them up and down between sets and will take less care putting them back in place. (Especially when you're swimming 100s off 1.45 and only coming in on 1.42)

If they do start to leak in the pool, you'll still have plenty of time to finish the length and sort out the problem, before there's enough water inside the lens to dislodge the contact.

It's only once happened me that a contact was washed out of my eye. This was in the middle of a lake swim when water leaked inside my goggles, after they had been hit by another swimmer. It was still no problem sighting with one eye and finishing the swim. The contact was still inside the lens and in T1 I just popped it back in.

Contacts don't actually fall out in salt water. Still wear goggles, but you don't need to worry about losing one in the sea.

Seriously it's such a small thing to be worrying about, and you won't make much progress with your swimming until you learn to overcome any anxieties and swim with your head in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ok so it's really going to be trial and error finding something I'm comfortable with. I'll try (as yet unknown) goggles and lenses to start anyway.
    zico10 wrote: »
    Contacts don't actually fall out in salt water. Still wear goggles, but you don't need to worry about losing one in the sea.

good to know!
    Seriously it's such a small thing to be worrying about, and you won't make much progress with your swimming until you learn to overcome any anxieties and swim with your head in the water.

:o yup... I acknowledge that I'm probably just distracting myself from my fear by focusing on the hardware :o Anyway... lessons paid for and by tomorrow night it'll all be a bit less scary :) .

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Like everyone else has said the best goggles for you is based on the shape of your head and eye sockets. For me tyr nest pro and aquasphere kaiman lady work best. I have a bony auld face :) You'll also have to deal with fogging up as well (worse in ow) so when youre buying your goggles buy anti fog solution too. I found aquaspheres were particularly prone to fogging in cold water tho they are fine in a pool.

Mine snapped tonight :( That was probably one of my worst ever swims, anywere I can pick up kayenne in Dublin? Can't really be arsed trying something new.

Mine snapped tonight :( That was probably one of my worst ever swims, anywere I can pick up kayenne in Dublin? Can't really be arsed trying something new.
    You doin Joey Sunday? If so and your stuck have a new pair of kaiman still in the box.

Oryx wrote: »
    You doin Joey Sunday? If so and your stuck have a new pair of kaiman still in the box.

Ta but nope. :) Don't think I'll get kayenne in any shops here, have spotted the kaiman on the cycle supserstore site so might give them a shot. Unless anyone has any blueseventy or zoggs recommendations.

Nope but I used tyr all last year and they are in base2race afaik

Advertisement