Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[EVENT] Pikeman Olympic Triathlon, Wexford

Options
  • 19-04-2012 5:19pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

Just to let everyone know Wexford Tri Club are holding their inaugural tri event on 7th July 2012. This is an Olympic/Standard distance triathlon held in Rosslare Strand, Wexford. The swim will be in the sea off Rosslare Strand.

Event details can be seen here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Registered for this. Looking forward to it. My gf has relatives down there so we're looking forward to visiting and racing this (im racing, shes not -yet)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This took place today in glorious sunshine. I hope anyone who took part was happy with it. Please, if you can at all, let me have some feedback here on the event. It was the clubs first tri, so the only way they can know how to improve is to hear what participants thought.

Results here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cracking day for it and well done on the win Bambaata!!

Gah. I didnt know who that was. Flew on the bike tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Ah, that's what he won. And by some margin. Great stuff Eddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

love the logo and the event name, well done for getting the event up and running. was scratching my head about the swim times was there a strong current making them so fast?

The sea was very rough so the swim was shortened to 750m

Thanks lads. Great day's racing. Great event. The course is deadly. Water was rough enough but certainly not the worst ive been in and fair play to the Race Ref for allowing 750m as i do believe it was touch and go for a while. Bike route is as good as you'll get. 42k of pretty much flat roads. Some small gradual climbs but there was a nasty wind today which had me going 32/33k at times and 48-50k on the return! 2 laps gave the supporters a chance to see us a bit for those that went out to the roundabout. Id a massive support crew there :P Leisha's cousins were busy painting up support banners last night so there was plenty of pressure on. The run is great too. Some little nasty climbs but nothing major and a novelty water section due to a flood helped cool things down! It was only just over ankle deep and a relief, particularly on the 2nd lap. Great crowd out too. Will definitely be looking to do this again next year. I'll do a report up tomorrow. Had a good chat with some of the organisers after and really god to see guys like that really trying to put together such a good event, im sure it'll be as much as success next year.

I'm glad you didn't mind the flood. It had to be decided just beforehand whether to send runners that way.

• Advertisement

I think it added to the novelty. Id no issue with it at all. I heard before the start that it was being looked into alright but it would have been a shame to split up that run. Id a nasty burst blister on the outside of my foot that was bleeding out the side of the runner so the cold water took some pain away for a short while!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Oryx - Cant give any advice regarding the race except dont change anything!! - Correction - settle down the Sea a bit for next year.:eek:

This was my first attempt at a Tri and my first time in the Sea for years and years!!

Rumours of a cancelled swim were abound as the wind was strong and from the worst possible (and unusual) direction. Normally the wind would be from the West/ South but a NE was not good news. Went for a look at the Sea - Jasas!!!. It was akin to the start to Hawai 5-0 or that Old Spice add (for those of you old enough). OK I know I'm exagerating and some didnt think it too bad but I was a novice sea swimmer!!.. read on.

The verdict was a reduced swim (750M) with the direction changed. Overall this was the correct decision IMO (despite my experience) Race briefing and down to the beach. As I fancied meself as a bit of a swimmer I took a good position to "get off".

Hooter sounds and off we go into the "choppy" water. Jasas again. Up and down like the one of those oil wells in Dallas. Started with by best fancy crawl - but only one flaw - couldnt breathe. Resorted to Breast stroke - get to marker and It'll be alright when we turn across the tide. Anyway got to marker and at this stage i've more salt in my stomach than a processed food factory.

Started to struggle seriously and considered pulling out but of course that wasn't an option. I thought the Sea was bad at this stage - serious "up and downing". The saving grace was the decent spread of canoes and boats of the safety crew - felt safe at all times even though I was struggling!! - another aspect of the great organisation!

Eventually got to the second marker after two or three efforts at the crawl and discovered that it just wasn't an option - breast stroke, more like a kind of "doggy paddle" all the way it was!!!!.

Turned towards the beach and just kept going - got out of the water very close to last position, but delighted to be still with you all!!! (and I thought I was a strong swimmer). Couldnt run the transition - got to the bike and stripped off wetsuit but had to sit down for a minute to "gather myself".

Got up, put on helmet and glasses and got on the bike - immediately felt better and into a big gear. The Cycle was superb - Passed out a few and that was a great spur!. Great course (the Roundabouts were on my mind before hand but the Organisation at these was first class - never really needed to slow down and never felt threatened by Traffic).

Got to T2.

Whip off the shoes and go to put on running shoes - school boy error - laces still tied with treble knots from last time wearing them. Must get those quick release/ tie lace things - Anyway got up and ran the 10k.

There was talk about the flood on the road - No need to worry - it was a large puddle and indeed a nice cooling feature!!

After the start I had I can tell you that I was happy to finish where I did!!

Thanks to everyone at Wex Tri Club for a great day - and next year the swim won't be as daunting - I Intend to get in some open water swim training!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have been swimming off that beach every week since spring and that was the worst conditions weve seen this year. Though I have swam there when it is rough and its very tough going. Well done on getting through it. Thanks for the feedback. The committee did put a hell of a lot of work into it and will be delighted to hear such good comments. Also I'm glad that the last minute decisions were felt to be the right ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Nice win at this Bambaata - looked like you cruised/nailed it all round!
    Great result fair play. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Oryx wrote: »
    This took place today in glorious sunshine. I hope anyone who took part was happy with it. Please, if you can at all, let me have some feedback here on the event. It was the clubs first tri, so the only way they can know how to improve is to hear what participants thought.

Oryx, Didn't race yesterday but would like to race there in the future as my parents live close by. Swimming is my weakest discipline and I was put off by the prospect of the one lap 1500 metre sea swim. Would you consider running it as 2 750 m laps or giving a sprint option to increase numbers?

The possibility of a sprint is something thats going to be discussed alright.

I say keep it Olympic. There are enough Sprints!

Anyone spot photos around yet? I found the few on the facebook page but haven't spotted any from the photographers i saw on course

Bambaata wrote: »

Anyone spot photos around yet? I found the few on the facebook page but haven't spotted any from the photographers i saw on course
    Here ya go. :)

Excellent! Thanks Oryx!!

Excellent! Thanks Oryx!!
    Thanks belong with our club chairman, Tom. (Race director too). He just got that link for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I second that. Dont complicate things

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

I enjoyed this race. Couple of things that could be improved. Water at 2.5k would allow runners to get some twice. If the run could take in more of the ocean it would be class. Nearing the end of each lap you see the ocean but only for a very short patch. Probably not possible though. Marshalls were top class on course, as good as I have seen/heard.

Advertisement