Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

achill roar questions

Options
  • 18-04-2012 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

hi im new to adventure racing and im looking to compete in the achill roar this year and i have a few questions. is a wet suit required and do you have to change before the run/bike phase or what is the normal procedure and would a hybrid bike suffice or is a road bike a nessecity. i know these are stupid questions to anyone involved but any info would be great help thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

wetsuit not required,presume you plan on swimming it so, if you wear one youl be taking it off as you exit water and then run to run section start
    any bike will do, youl see all kinds doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mickm86

cheers thanks woody

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jilzy

Hi Mick, your questions are not stupid at all. Ive registered for the Achill ROAR Expert category, my first ever Adventure race/triathlon. Im really nervous and excited, but have loads of questions too....not sure what to expect, and curious how i'll fare for the transitions :O Im sorry im not much use in answering your questions, but im sure we're not the only newbies! If it helps, I got a triathlon wetsuit and it really aids swimming/bouyancy in open water. Best of luck with it, only 39 days to go....

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Wet suits are not required but do add to buoyancy as said above . i will be doing this this year too for the first time , the Cycle is road so a hybrid would be fine.

I will be using a road bike , bit the running if you have trail runner wear them . if you are wearing a wet suit you will have time to change it vs the people who are kyacking . if you what to use a wet suit i know the cycle superstore rent them for races.

Best of luck down there and enjoy the race it will be allot of fun on the day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Another question about race. What is the expert run like? How does it compare to the run sections of Gaelforce West or North?

Looking forward to heading down.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Another question about race. What is the expert run like? How does it compare to the run sections of Gaelforce West or North?

Starts with flat beach run , long steady climb but not as steep as GFW (Top 10% will run it all) and nice descent on heather with very few rocks and back up beach to transition.

Have not done GFN but from IMRA race up Errigal know ROAR run is not as technically challenging :)

Full race briefing doc and entry list on roar.ie
    These and FAQ ahould answer all queries

Weather looking good

c u in Achill

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

The expert Run ... it will bring a tear to your eye. I personally would do the reek on GFW anytime over this run , not technically challenging but its steep and then when you think its over ( downhill after initial decent ) you turn around to climb yet another hill . The big difference with GFW is that the main climb on Roar is about 5.75km long where as the climb on GFW is about 3k .(Start of run to summit in ROAR is about 11k ) .

The cycle is easy too :D

Its a great event and you should have a blast . Well ran with great athmosphere .
    Only doing the sport myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

The expert Run ... it will bring a tear to your eye. I personally would do the reek on GFW anytime over this run , not technically challenging but its steep and then when you think its over ( downhill after initial decent ) you turn around to climb yet another hill . The big difference with GFW is that the main climb on Roar is about 5.75km long where as the climb on GFW is about 3k .(Start of run to summit in ROAR is about 11k ) .

The cycle is easy too :D

Its a great event and you should have a blast . Well ran with great athmosphere .
    Only doing the sport myself.

Can't wait, haha Many thanks.

Advertisement