Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anybody know of any hatchback style saloons that are dog friendly?

Options
  • 18-04-2012 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I currently own a Ford Focus hatchback which is very useful for throwing my (big) dog in the boot. However I really want to change to a saloon but I don't think it's fair to bung him in the boot if he is not able to stand up / get some air.

Looking at the new Mondeo, the boot is massive so that it looks like it is possible that the dog could go in there but still be visible / accessible from the backseat so that he can stand up.

I'm just wondering, does anyone know of any other saloons that are dog friendly?

Thanks in advance,
    John
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

*Puts mental image of car attacking dog out of mind from Title....*

Would you consider the likes of a Hatchback Mondeo / Avensis etc.... Or even an Estate?

Does it have to be a saloon?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jbolger

MugMugs wrote: »
    *Puts mental image of car attacking dog out of mind from Title....*

Would you consider the likes of a Hatchback Mondeo / Avensis etc.... Or even an Estate?

Does it have to be a saloon?

Ha, sorry this isn't a Cujo type post!

Well myself and the missus are going to have to share this car and she's not mad on estates so I just wanted to find out about any saloons first before exploring the other options...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

The Skoda Superb boot opens up as both a hatchback and a saloon. There's plenty of room for a big dog in it.

gafarrell wrote: »
    The Skoda Superb boot opens up as both a hatchback and a saloon. There's plenty of room for a big dog in it.

Thanks for that, I will check it out.

And a great idea it is too however the jury is out on how trouble free that is in the long run!

My concern is, if you want the dog to be able to stand up becuase it is a large dog then would a Hatchback where you can remove the parcel shelf not be the best option?

Also, bare in mind that dogs are required to be restrained by using a seat belt lead IIRC.... ?

Would you consider speaking to the guys in the pets forum too OP ? See what they use?

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    And a great idea it is too however the jury is out on how trouble free that is in the long run!

My concern is, if you want the dog to be able to stand up becuase it is a large dog then would a Hatchback where you can remove the parcel shelf not be the best option?

Also, bare in mind that dogs are required to be restrained by using a seat belt lead IIRC.... ?

Would you consider speaking to the guys in the pets forum too OP ? See what they use?

Absolutely hatchbacks are a better type for this but no harm finding out whether any saloons cater for this.

Yeah, that might be an idea alright, I might post it there also, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I think for a big dog a Hatch is useless as the glass comes to the roof at too much of an angle to be comfortable for him.

Best bet is an Octavia Combi. They seem very popular with large dog owners, and are not a very large car as estates go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I don't think even the Superb would suit, you really should consider an estate instead.

Or... similar to the hatch, consider a crossover.

We have a Yeti, it has terrific ease of access and a tall cabin space, we've carried our friends giant schnauzer a few times with ease

vectra wrote: »
    I think for a big dog a Hatch is useless as the glass comes to the roof at too much of an angle to be comfortable for him.

Best bet is an Octavia Combi. They seem very popular with large dog owners, and are not a very large car as estates go.

What you're saying is definitely true for other hatchbacks but I own a 2007 Focus and that particular model has quite a big boot so he actually has loads of room. I've always wanted a saloon (preferably a Volvo S40/S60!) so I just wanted to check out the possibility ya know?

Thanks, I will look into that Octavia Combi

jbolger wrote: »
    Thanks, I will look into that Octavia Combi

That's an Estate though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

[OT]I rented one of these one week not knowing about said feature of the car. I stood at the back of the car very confused when my saloon sudenly turned into a liftback :o [/OT]

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

I've always wanted a saloon (preferably a Volvo S40/S60!) so I just wanted to check out the possibility ya know?
    The V50 is a handsome estate and is no bigger than a focus estate I'd say. Certainly not as big as a mondeo estate and probably not as big as a Mondeo 5dr/liftback/hatchback saloon. But still big enough for one big dog.

What's her problem with estates? "Too big"? My suggestion above solves that.
    She afraid ye'll look like a respectable couple with a big dog? Afraid of the "oh so when are the babies coming?" crap that automatically follows buying an estate in Ireland?

Sorry if the above sounds like a bit of a rant, but I can't get over the negativity towards estates in Ireland - if you like dogs, various outdoor sports, DIY, being able to transport washing machines or whatever - estate is the job. A lot of the newer ones are even nicer than their saloon counterparts!

langdang wrote: »
    The V50 is a handsome estate and is no bigger than a focus estate I'd say. Certainly not as big as a mondeo estate and probably not as big as a Mondeo 5dr/liftback/hatchback saloon. But still big enough for one big dog. http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon10.gif

What's her problem with estates? "Too big"? My suggestion above solves that.
    She afraid ye'll look like a respectable couple with a big dog? Afraid of the "oh so when are the babies coming?" crap that automatically follows buying an estate in Ireland?

Sorry if the above sounds like a bit of a rant, but I can't get over the negativity towards estates in Ireland - if you like dogs, various outdoor sports, DIY, being able to transport washing machines or whatever - estate is the job. A lot of the newer ones are even nicer than their saloon counterparts!

I'll have a look into the V50 so, if i go down the estates route :D
    And i actually agree with you, they've gotten a lot better looking in recent years so not a bad option. I still want to be able to say, these are the saloons that could do the job, and then compare that then against our other options of estates / jeeps...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Whatever_fools

Your wife is probably a reasonable lady - I'd say show her a few photos of the newer estates and she'll be on board. Is she giving up a ridiculously beautiful car to trade up to a dog friendly saloon? You sound like this dog is very important in your lives!

I'll have a look into the V50 so, if i go down the estates route :D
    And i actually agree with you, they've gotten a lot better looking in recent years so not a bad option. I still want to be able to say, these are the saloons that could do the job, and then compare that then against our other options of estates / jeeps...
    A jeep/SUV/softroader with a high boot could be an issue for some dogs as they get older, especially for one you struggle to physically lift.

Most 5door/liftback/hatchback* saloons would suit I spose - the octavia and the mondeo are obvious choices. Avensis? Mazda 6? Both of these are/were available as 5 door but most are 4door I'd say. 5 door saloons have a higher than average chance of being UK imports, so check the history.

*be warned, searching for these on carzone or donedeal is a nightmare, half the ads are wrong. Complete imbeciles will swear blind to you that it is a 5 door or a 4 door, and you will go to look at it and realise that no, it's not what you wanted at all.
    By searching carzone for 5dr saloon only, you will exclude many liftback saloons advertised as 4 door saloons or 4 door hatchbacks or 5door hatchbacks. You'll have to trawl through them all, and look for windscreen wipers on the back window. Happy hunting...

Your wife is probably a reasonable lady - I'd say show her a few photos of the newer estates and she'll be on board. Is she giving up a ridiculously beautiful car to trade up to a dog friendly saloon? You sound like this dog is very important in your lives!

He he he, yeah he kinda is, but the reality is he goes in the car every day when going for a walk so it's gotta be factored in. There's no point in getting the particular car we want and then finding that it's getting ruined with dog hair...

Well she is fond of her car alright so it's not going to be an easy sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Heres another estate its a very nice Peugeot 207SW, afaik this is the only one for sale at the moment and its on uk plates, http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3095564

They look good and are not the conventional boxy type of estate that can be the stigma of the estate car and you get the work horse area of a big boot.
    View2-10396564.jpeg

By searching carzone for 5dr saloon only, you will exclude many liftback saloons advertised as 4 door saloons or 4 door hatchbacks or 5door hatchbacks. You'll have to trawl through them all, and look for windscreen wipers on the back window. Happy hunting...

That's not the ideal solution either.
    I had a '00 Nissan Primera 4 door Saloon.. it had a rear window wiper :D

@ OP
    Not all estates/Combi's look bad

Both Hatch and Combi are identical lenght 4569mm

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

That's not the ideal solution either.
    I had a '00 Nissan Primera 4 door Saloon.. it had a rear window wiper :D

@ OP
    Not all estates/Combi's look bad

Both Hatch and Combi are identical lenght 4569mm

Cheers for the info.
    I quite like the i40 estate:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3171571

Or the avensis estate

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bottom line is there's no such thing as a saloon with a dog-friendly boot. Hatchbacks will do the job with varying degrees of success, and a few will even do it while looking vaguely like a saloon. If the dog's welfare is really a priority, though, then IMO you need to either buy an estate or let the dog sit on the back seat. Remember also that most people who've got used to the versatility of an estate would never go back. :)

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Bottom line is there's no such thing as a saloon with a dog-friendly boot. Hatchbacks will do the job with varying degrees of success, and a few will even do it while looking vaguely like a saloon. If the dog's welfare is really a priority, though, then IMO you need to either buy an estate or let the dog sit on the back seat. Remember also that most people who've got used to the versatility of an estate would never go back. :)

Yeah it's looking that way alright. Only options I've seen so far are the Superb and possibly the Mondeo.

Lots of good options if we go for an estate however. Thanks guys

Yeah it's looking that way alright. Only options I've seen so far are the Superb and possibly the Mondeo.

Lots of good options if we go for an estate however. Thanks guys
    Forgot to say earlier - I find a flat entry to the boot is a better job if you will regularly be putting stuff other than a gearbag or shopping into the boot, ie no lip that the dog (or washing machine etc) has to get over. More likely to feature in an estate or jeep (or a van) than a liftback saloon.

Forgot to say earlier - I find a flat entry to the boot is a better job if you will regularly be putting stuff other than a gearbag or shopping into the boot, ie no lip that the dog (or washing machine etc) has to get over. More likely to feature in an estate or jeep (or a van) than a liftback saloon.

cheers

Cheers for the info.
    I quite like the i40 estate:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3171571

Or the avensis estate

Yes,
    Those i40's are eye catching alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

is the Yeti a non-runner? saw it mentioned as an edit to someones previous post, so possibly overlooked...

Wossack wrote: »
    is the Yeti a non-runner? saw it mentioned as an edit to someones previous post, so possibly overlooked...

I'm not sure I'm mad on it to be honest. Haven't seen it for real so just judging from the photos. If i was going down the jeep route, I'd have to take a good long look at the new Kia Sportage. I've seen these out and about and they look the biz. All depends on price tho eh?!

I'm not sure I'm mad on it to be honest. Haven't seen it for real so just judging from the photos. If i was going down the jeep route, I'd have to take a good long look at the new Kia Sportage. I've seen these out and about and they look the biz. All depends on price tho eh?!

As you mentioned the i40 and also mentioned Kia. The Kia Optima is in a showroom since yesterday so possibly another option of an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

Exactly that..! No worries, just thought it might have been overlooked :)

Gonna jump on the estate bandwagon and throw in the the Saab 93 estate .. no idea if they're any use mind..

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3247197

As you mentioned the i40 and also mentioned Kia. The Kia Optima is in a showroom since yesterday so possibly another option of an estate.

OK yeah, I'll check it out so, thanks

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    Exactly that..! No worries, just thought it might have been overlooked :)

Gonna jump on the estate bandwagon and throw in the the Saab 93 estate .. no idea if they're any use mind..

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3247197

Not bad looking alright, never had a Saab before. Whenever I think of Saab, I think of expensive parts and unreliable. I'm not sure whether that image is justified?

Advertisement