Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon Ireland Talent Identification Day

Options
  • 17-04-2012 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi All,

TI are running a Talent ID Day on the 6th of May. The application to be considered to attend closes on Monday 23rd of April. If you know any strong swimmers or runners between 14 and 23 who have potential please encourage them to apply. Along with the Junior Squad there is now a National Junior Academy giving more young athletes the opportunity to train at a high level.

Full details here http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=689

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

That's great thanks for that! Always been told i should give it a try do let's c if I hear frm them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

roseybear wrote: »
    That's great thanks for that! Always been told i should give it a try do let's c if I hear frm them

Let us know how you get on, and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i cry when i see the times the teenagers have to reach to be in the running! The swim in particular. Do these kids actually hit it as i understand its an international level as opposed to a level set by TI. Should body reach the score I presume they still take on a few they deem to have potential to reach it with some work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

The 7 Juniors on the squad have all hit the times. TI do support some athletes who are not quite there or show potential and there is also the National Junior Academy which again has athletes who show potential or who have not quite got the points yet. The Junior Squad have had some savage results though so they're definalty at an international standard.

One of the athletes is racing in the European Champs this weekend and is just 16 yrs old so will be racing against juniors up to 19yrs.:eek:

attempted a 400m swim tonight - felt really good doing it and it felt really easy and thought i was great..looked at the times supplied by ti and what they would like to c...took me 8.40mins...they looking for half this :( but my 3k run would take me 10.30mins.. which is right up there :cool:.. wonder will i be considered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Ceepo

attempted a 400m swim tonight - felt really good doing it and it felt really easy and thought i was great..looked at the times supplied by ti and what they would like to c...took me 8.40mins...they looking for half this :( but my 3k run would take me 10.30mins.. which is right up there :cool:.. wonder will i be considered

Hi Roseybear,

From what i know you have to contact them to be considered, dont know if you have done this, and my guess would be its to late now, but not sure, Also the swim and run times are combined so a poor swim can be helped by a good run.
    But you are right the standard is high, and these young athlete's are very good.
    The Junior Academy is there for the people who do not meet the 160 points required for the High Performance Squad, the Academy Squad point are between 130 and 159,

I believe some of the lad's 16ish yr old lads are running 3k in 9.45 ish :eek: and under 16's avg 200 swim in 2,26 :eek::eek:

But its great to see TI looking to the future

Ceepo wrote: »
    Hi Roseybear,

From what i know you have to contact them to be considered, dont know if you have done this, and my guess would be its to late now, but not sure, Also the swim and run times are combined so a poor swim can be helped by a good run.
    But you are right the standard is high, and these young athlete's are very good.
    The Junior Academy is there for the people who do not meet the 160 points required for the High Performance Squad, the Academy Squad point are between 130 and 159,

I believe some of the lad's 16ish yr old lads are running 3k in 9.45 ish :eek: and under 16's avg 200 swim in 2,26 :eek::eek:

But its great to see TI looking to the future

yeh i did contact them but i had not given a swim time as i hadn't been in a pool in a yr probably? so they emailed me back saying i need a swim time to be considered so i hit the pool tonight. ive always been told that if i wasn't a runner i should be a swimmer, but then running took over and now i want something different.. will see if i hear from them again anyways..

and from a running perspective, 9.45ish for 16ish yr old lads is national standard but not a crazy time.. wouldn't have a notion what is good for swimming :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Put it this way i dont know if many here would hit the swim times that they consider the bare necessity for people so young (i.e. in the blue zone on the table seems to be the are you need to be in both if not exceptional in 1 and still decent in the other). Id struggle to hit 105/110 points now and im 28! Id also be off the mark for the 14-16 yr olds!! They are looking for international standard as opposed to national. I say get yourself swimming a lot if you have ambition to try crack it. You'll also need to lower that run but the swim seems weaker. If you do take it on be sure to keep us updated. That would make for a great training log!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Unfortunately 8.30 is nowhere near what is needed on the other hand there will surely be other Talent days,
    what you will need to to is to build up to 5 swims a week and some good mileage .
    Quite honestly you will need to join a swim club. Where are you based?

How much running are you doing to get 10 .30 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Ceepo

@ Roseybear,

Just wondering if you went to this today.

Some serious talent there. Some fantastic swim and and run times
    It would be nice to think that maybe one of these will make 2020 olympic's.
    Great to see Triathlon Ireland putting structure's in place to help out young athletes, long may it continue

• Advertisement
Advertisement