Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I change my exhaust or not?

Options
  • 15-04-2012 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I have a 2000 honda accord 1.8. I seen a dual exhaust off a type r accord for sale and was wondering if it would fit my car and if so would it add any power or actually take some away?:confused:

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Neighbour has the same car with a twin tip so must be possible.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Technically you can fit whatever you like as an exhaust, once there is sufficient piping/welding available. Just be cautious though, as you will more than likely have to inform your insurance company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Reputable manufacturers like Honda usually go to a lot of trouble to ensure that the various components fitted to their cars work optimally and unless you engage in making other tuning modifications to your car that call for the exhaust to be changed, it is unlikely that a random alternative exhaust system will achieve anything useful.

It may make more noise (which is what you really want) and make the little girlfriend go all weak at the knees with its loud manly sound (which is what you also want) but it is unlikely to add anything to the car's performance abilities. [subject to correction of course].

mathepac wrote: »
    Reputable manufacturers like Honda usually go to a lot of trouble to ensure that the various components fitted to their cars work optimally and unless you engage in making other tuning modifications to your car that call for the exhaust to be changed, it is unlikely that a random alternative exhaust system will achieve anything useful.

It may make more noise (which is what you really want) and make the little girlfriend go all weak at the knees with its loud manly sound (which is what you also want) but it is unlikely to add anything to the car's performance abilities. [subject to correction of course].
    It wont be noisy. There's still a backbox and the Op will probably just want a cat-back system. It can be very expensive to decat and change the header.

Honda engines also tend to react quite well to exhaust mods, especially if it will give more flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leeno

That's mostly what I want out of it just a bit more noise, but I heard that sometimes putting a larger exhaust can reduce the power?

• Advertisement

leeno wrote: »
    That's mostly what I want out of it just a bit more noise, but I heard that sometimes putting a larger exhaust can reduce the power?
    Have you heard a standard Accord Type R system? They're not a noisy system. You'll want to look into aftermarket if you want noise. Something with a smaller backbox and wider tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leeno

Johntegr wrote: »
    Have you heard a standard Accord Type R system? They're not a noisy system. You'll want to look into aftermarket if you want noise. Something with a smaller backbox and wider tip.

so its pretty pointless buying this so, any suggestions on what sort of backbox to use? I want something noisy enough but nothing unbearable, thanks.

so its pretty pointless buying this so, any suggestions on what sort of backbox to use? I want something noisy enough but nothing unbearable, thanks.
    Wouldn't be many, if any, aftermarket exhausts made for your car I'd say. Easiest bet would be a stainless steel system that's custom made from the likes of Souhans or Custom Metal Works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

That's mostly what I want out of it just a bit more noise ...
    Cool - I was half right at least.

Advertisement