Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Gear] On bike hydration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

What was wrong with bottle between arms?

Am thinking one between arms, one behind seat - as horizontal as I can make it.

Just have to find somewhere to put spares and 20 gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I put a normal bottle on my down tube.

For a HIM, I put another on my seat tube.

simples..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Notwitch wrote: »
    What was wrong with bottle between arms?

Am thinking one between arms, one behind seat - as horizontal as I can make it.

Just have to find somewhere to put spares and 20 gels.

More inclined to constantly sip water IMO if you have a tube in from of you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    More inclined to constantly sip water IMO if you have a tube in from of you

You absorb more through gulps that sips though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I too don't like the bottles on frames for racing.
    Find it much easier to sip continuously and easily from front mounted solution.

Used the Profile Design Aquacell (Huge one) for the 100k bike at Abu Dhabi.
    Liked the solution but the bottle wasn't the best and was clearly too big also.

Did a bit of research and it was between the Speedifl A2 as you say and the Torhans solutions.
    Liked the look of the Torhans, and the Aero Tray also so went with that.

Very happy, I'd recommend it - I've the Aero 20 (650ml) but the Aero 30 has around 850ml I think.

For HIM I'll prob go with the Aero 30, and then refill at stations as required.

Base2Race in Ballymount have both the Aero 20 and Aero 30 along with trays etc in stock now.

IMG_21371.jpg

IMG_21381.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

tunney wrote: »
    You absorb more through gulps that sips though.

Really?

For aero purposes is having a front mounted system not just screwing up the bike manufactures aero design? Same with the bottle on the down tube or seat tube?

This year I think I might go with the bottle behind the seat option, I can grab it and drink without getting off the tri bars. Actually on cool days for sprints I'm thinking no drink on board at all, just a small (kids) size water bottle in transition that I can grab in T2 as I run out and then disgaurd. Did this in last tri of 2011 and worked well.

Really?
    Yes
    For aero purposes is having a front mounted system not just screwing up the bike manufactures aero design? Same with the bottle on the down tube or seat tube?

For bikes with aero head tubes the profile design style bottles are bad. For these use a between the aerobars horizontal mount (Hed Lollipop or the X-Labs approach, or DIY with zip ties).

Down tube and seat tube aren't as bad as you think.
    This year I think I might go with the bottle behind the seat option, I can grab it and drink without getting off the tri bars. Actually on cool days for sprints I'm thinking no drink on board at all, just a small (kids) size water bottle in transition that I can grab in T2 as I run out and then disgaurd. Did this in last tri of 2011 and worked well.

Down tube is way better than behind the saddle for a number of reasons. Usually you break aero to get it but more importantly unless its very very high (read at/above saddle height) and tucked close to the back its an aerodynamic disaster.

There are a few examples on the bike images thread of aero bikes with parachutes dangling off the back of the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Might start looking at the between the bars option then, the DIY version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I currently use one of these But i have had to widen the bars slightly as i get discomfort in the shoulders and now the bracket does not fit onto the bars.

Options open to me for a P2 setup? I will have one bottle in the cage but i would also like to have another easily accesible whilst keeping aero.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

I currently use one of these But i have had to widen the bars slightly as i get discomfort in the shoulders and now the bracket does not fit onto the bars.

Options open to me for a P2 setup? I will have one bottle in the cage but i would also like to have another easily accesible whilst keeping aero.

There was wind tunnel test data released recently (not sure how old the data was) from Cervelo - aimed at justifing the p4 or p5 hydration setups i'm sure - around optimal bottle positions.

I seemed to remember that between arms was good as long as hidden between arms. Aero straws took a bit of a hammering. Breaking aero to drink wasn't as bad as all the aero straw lovers wanted it to be. Behind the seat wasn't too bad as long as only a single bottle and hidden - not the parachute set up.

I can only find the Lave magazine article now but the original paper was knocking around.

Lots of caveats as usual.

http://lavamagazine.com/gear/free-speed-cervelos-tips-on-aerodynamic-hydration/#axzz1rugOdsNu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I go with 1 on the downtube and 1 in between the bars in a bottle mounted horizontally with cable ties. I do have to be careful at ramps though as i have lost a bottle here and there after it popped out.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

One of the bike manufacturers now has a water bladder fitted in the down tube. I cant recall right now which one it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The new Specialized shiv, looks interesting.

mloc123 wrote: »
    The new Specialized shiv, looks interesting.

So does Kelly Brook but we are going to get to ride her either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Fazz wrote: »
    Liked the look of the Torhans, and the Aero Tray also so went with that.

Any tips Fazz for spillage, got one of these the last day and I was half blind from Salted Orange Juice splashing up on me every couple of seconds from that dispenser hole. Our roads weren't made for aero bottles. I could tape it up but that defeats the purpose of their easy refill which in fairness does work well

catweazle wrote: »
    Any tips Fazz for spillage, got one of these the last day and I was half blind from Salted Orange Juice splashing up on me every couple of seconds from that dispenser hole. Our roads weren't made for aero bottles. I could tape it up but that defeats the purpose of their easy refill which in fairness does work well

Had the same prob first couple rides.
    Got it sorted then.

Problem for me was aero straw housing not stayin in place, which caused spillage and bobbing around of straw.
    Fixes by bonding the aero housing down, but straw still moves up and down etc.

Worked perfectly after that then.

Note I used the covered cap - not the cut open refillable option - would only need this for longer rides if I wanted to refill it.
    Both caps came in pack just haven't used the refillable on the go one outside yet.

Was it the straw housing same issue for you?
    Or are you using the open refillable cap option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I dont remember seeing any covered cap in the bag......balls, bet I threw it out. I managed to wedge the housing down good and tight which helped but the refillable cap option is killing me, even guzzling half way through the bottle at the start of the ride its still splashing. I havent tried it yet but it looks like there are two levels to slide the bottle in on, perhaps the lower level might help a little bit as well as regards the splashback.

Its a quick and easy refill option but not worth it if I cant see where I am going :D

catweazle wrote: »
    I dont remember seeing any covered cap in the bag......balls, bet I threw it out. I managed to wedge the housing down good and tight which helped but the refillable cap option is killing me, even guzzling half way through the bottle at the start of the ride its still splashing. I havent tried it yet but it looks like there are two levels to slide the bottle in on, perhaps the lower level might help a little bit as well as regards the splashback.

Its a quick and easy refill option but not worth it if I cant see where I am going :D

For clarity here's the 2 caps I got.
    If you've binned the sealed one then maybe pop into shop and see if any spares?
    Failing that good old tape?
    I presume you have the drip tray fitted underneath the cap also?
    So in effect 2 of the cross section refillable layers?

TorhansCaps.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bambaata wrote: »
    I go with 1 on the downtube and 1 in between the bars in a bottle mounted horizontally with cable ties. I do have to be careful at ramps though as i have lost a bottle here and there after it popped out.

Looks like i am going with horizontal bottle between the articles based on that article. Any chance of a pic Ed looking down to see how you have it setup. Now i have narrowed down the type just need to get my hands on one.

Advertisement