Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Gear] - backpack for running and commuting

Options
  • 11-04-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Lowe Alpone Mountain Marthoner backpack. Holds 32L and had two small mesh pockets, one large mesh pocket and two small zip pockets and a large zip pocket.

Its served me well for running to and from work and also cycling to and from work but its now dead.

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced replacement?

And no, suggestions that a brown paper bag would do instead and queries as whether I really need straps on the bag are not required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭ray o

I liked the Vaude Alpine 30 - I don't know if you would call it reasonably priced at around the €80 mark but it looks impressive. Not widley available but I did see it on Bike24 before.

Review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sec8LbNfp5k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ray o wrote: »
    I liked the Vaude Alpine 30 - I don't know if you would call it reasonably priced at around the €80 mark but it looks impressive. Not widley available but I did see it on Bike24 before.

Review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sec8LbNfp5k

Exactly what I want. But discontinued............ :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The Innov 8 bags generally get good reviews.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8/bags/

I've the 18 litre bag and it's great for running/cycling.

30 litre bag: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-race-pro-30-rucksack-aw10/#more

There's room for a hydration system in there too. Basecamp on Middle Abbey Street sell them. Might be worth popping in to have a look to see if suits. Only one compartment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I use the iNOV-8 Racepac for trail running, MTB, days out, camera gear etc and find it is a good pack. It sits nicely on the back, doesn't get too warm and is nicely balanced on the hips when running or cycling. If you use the water bladder you won't even notice it's there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Innov-8 race Elite 20 gets a decent review in one of this months Tri magazines (5/5) - rrp £50 - €41.20 on Wiggle. Might be a bit small though?

Innov-8 race Elite 20 gets a decent review in one of this months Tri magazines (5/5) - rrp £50 - €41.20 on Wiggle. Might be a bit small though?

Ideally it will hold:
    * Pair jeans
    * T- shirt
    * Jocks and socks
    * Running shorts
    * Running jocks and socks
    * Running top
    * Runners
    * Pull buoy
    * Lunch

Thats all I need to fit in.......

tunney wrote: »
    Ideally it will hold:
    * Pair jeans
    * T- shirt
    * Jocks and socks
    * Running shorts
    * Running jocks and socks
    * Running top
    * Runners
    * Pull buoy
    * Lunch

Thats all I need to fit in.......

You should fit that all in or around the RacePro 30

Only has the main pouch right? no zip pouches?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Are you sure?? Have you seem Tummeys lunches recently?

• Advertisement

Only has the main pouch right? no zip pouches?

Top zip pouch (small - socks, jocks) main pouch (big - all the other gear) side slip pockets (expandable storage), zip hip pockets and bottom zip to get your lunch out.
    Are you sure?? Have you seem Tummeys lunches recently?

Haven't met the man yet but thats why I why I suggested the 'around' bit, cos you have bottle hangers, extra mesh pockets and loads of attachments to the frame of the bag if you want to expand on the versatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Top zip pouch (small - socks, jocks) main pouch (big - all the other gear) side slip pockets (expandable storage), zip hip pockets and bottom zip to get your lunch out.

Cheers, will have to check one out in the flesh, so to speak, but it sounds like just want I want!

My present bag for commuting (bike and run) is a Lowe Alpine Mountain Marathon 32 (32 litre capacity and 48cm in height)

I'm looking at the Deuter Trans Alipine - the "normal" version is 30 litre capacity and 53cm in height
    http://www.bike24.com/1.php?product=13133;content=8;navigation=1;menu=1000,5,127;mid=41;page=1
    There is a "Extra long" version that is 32 litre but 55cm in height. Its sold as a bag for 6footers plus.
    http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=26022;page=1;menu=1000,5,127;mid=41

Questions:

* Is 2 litres a huge difference?
    * Would the El be too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

there's a huge selection of bags in 53 Degrees North, probably best to try before you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,952 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I use the OMM bag that ocnoc recommended. Seriously light, reasonably priced and fantastic comfort. Probably not too long either (I'm 170cm tall and find it comfortable). Bought it from Jackson Sports (http://www.jackson-sports.com/) but I've also seen them in Basecamp on Middle Abbey Street.

@Tunney - What did you get in the end?

@Tunney - What did you get in the end?

Osprey Momentum 34. Great for commuting on the bike, less so running. 34 litre capacity expandable to 38 - just what I wanted.

Thanks Dave, I'm looking for one primarily for running. I think I will take a look at the Innov8 bags mentioned earlier.

Thanks Dave, I'm looking for one primarily for running. I think I will take a look at the Innov8 bags mentioned earlier.

They came out tops for a running only one but I wanted a cycling one mainly that *could* work as a running one if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

This is probably not too helpful as I don't know when they'll next be onsale, but I have one of the small cycling backpacks that Lidl were selling earlier this year and it's pretty good.

I commute with it and have done a couple of 10km trail runs and it's been comfortable.

Before I bought it I was looking around for something similar and had narrowed it down to the OMM or Inov-8 packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Redjeep! wrote: »
    This is probably not too helpful as I don't know when they'll next be onsale, but I have one of the small cycling backpacks that Lidl were selling earlier this year and it's pretty good.

I commute with it and have done a couple of 10km trail runs and it's been comfortable.

Before I bought it I was looking around for something similar and had narrowed it down to the OMM or Inov-8 packs.

Have a look at the Deuter range also, 53 degrees have a reasonable variety of them. I've the Race EXP Air one and it's extremely comfortable to run in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

I bought Inov 8 race elite 25 last week. 25l, fits shoes, running gear, work clothes & small towel and is very comfortable & as light as they come. €51 including delivery. Also the zip on it is vertical which makes it easier to pack the work clothes than in the regular top opening ruck sack I had been using.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-race-elite-25-hydration-pack-ss12/

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Have a look at the Deuter range also, 53 degrees have a reasonable variety of them. I've the Race EXP Air one and it's extremely comfortable to run in.

Deuter very pricey for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Deuter very pricey for what you get.

Agree, I bought when wiggle were doing a weekend blitz on backpacks, still I'm very happy with the comfort and fit.

Advertisement