Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportsman Duathlon - Sunday 15th April

Options
  • 10-04-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

So the Race 3 in this series is on this Sunday.

I'm due to give this a blast, as is Jackyback also.

Any one else got this in mind?
    Great course, nice to have loops on bike to track positions/progress etc.
    Run also starts with a slight decline which is nice too :)

8:30 registration for a 10:30am start I think.

On the downside... BMC is not in it this time.
    He's off competing at Tri-Star Mallorca I believe.
    Possible blasts for some of those doing Burnfoot the following weekend.

Wonders if Bambatta can be tempted now with BMC out ..... ;)

KingQuez? Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Looking forward to it, might catch up beforehand Fazz, red/white p2 with zipps. Love this course and looking for a big pb from last year, have my sights on a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

.... have my sights on a time.

Please, go on.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Looking forward to it, might catch up beforehand Fazz, red/white p2 with zipps. Love this course and looking for a big pb from last year, have my sights on a time.

Cool I'll have a look for you in transition so.

Not after a time myself, just a good blast out really as have some race pace fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Wont be there myself unfortunately. Have a good one lads. Looking forward to the reports

Please, go on.....:)

I will keep this target time to myself:). As Fazz mentioned i too will be using this as a good training blast in a race scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Fazz wrote: »
    KingQuez? Anyone else?

Not me, am signed up for the 10k in the park, although with all the bad reviews the 10k has gotten I might just go for a bike ride instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Sunday? I'll be hungover in Galway after a second stag do in two weeks. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'm in too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    I'm in too

:eek:

mloc123 wrote: »
    :eek:

Just thought it best to smack JB back into place now

• Advertisement

Sh1t just got interesting *grabs the popcorn*

Just thought it best to smack JB back into place now

You realise its quite a hilly course yeah? ;)

mloc123 wrote: »
    You realise its quite a hilly course yeah? ;)

Yip. he doesn't stand a chance.

Yip. he doesn't stand a chance.

And just far enough out from Roth tho crush his hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

I'm in too

Was wondering where you'd turn up pre Roth. Seems likes it on, who will draw first blood??

I'm in too

This **** just got real:eek: This race has been bumped up a level if true. This is gonna be fun.

This **** just got real:eek: This race has been bumped up a level if true. This is gonna be fun.

Of course I'm not doing it. :) But you got excited though didn't you? :)

Ha, was nearly tempted to skip Mallorca in favour of this!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You big tease.

I did a little...dissapointed now. Will just have to wait to Roth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I'm in too. Did the first one of the series and found it enjoyable. Will be interesting to see if this one goes any better.

So how did the big T/D/AR shootout go??

From what i've heard Fazz went really well finishing strong in 4th but JB went over on his ankle so pulled out near the end of the first run. Havent heard on others.

Bambaata wrote: »
    From what i've heard Fazz went really well finishing strong in 4th but JB went over on his ankle so pulled out near the end of the first run. Havent heard on others.

Given I didn't injury myself I technically had a better race than JB.

I heard there was some guy out with a pick axe digging up holes this morning that fits Tunneys description.
    Lying up at home with the foot elevated and iced hoping no serious damage has been done. I was moving well up to then and through 2k in 7mins and just off the 2nd pack. Coulda/woulda been a big pb on last year as I was already up a minute after 2k from last year....fvkin annoying.

Great racing today by Fazz, stiff competition about.

Nice bit of Race pace fun today - enjoyed the race and not a bad result.

Mini Race Report:

I did this course back in Oct'11 as part of the Chase the Brownlee Duathlon and enjoyed it a lot.
    Distance is a 3.2km Run, 17km Bike and 3.2km Run to finish.

Race Start and we're off. I positioned myself around the 2nd row or so and there was around 12 in front of me. A quick scan of the Garmin to see pace around the 2:45/km... Ok a bit more and another check to see again 2:50/km pace. I ease back a little - it is a little bit of a downhill start so there is time to be banked, but I wasn't going to last at that pace so let the 12 or so carry on and followed around 10-15 feet behind.
    First KM done in 3:05, strong pace and I'm around 12th-15th position! Harsh eh!
    Balls to the wall stuff but pace did ease a little - second KM done in 3:26 and still on for a decent run split.
    Turn left onto a slight incline along a windy country lane, I start to reel in those that had gone out too hard here and make up a few places.. Third KM done in 3:45 - not a bad pace for the incline.
    Last 200m done in 3:44 pace and I'm around 12th coming into T1.

So Run 1 done in 10:59 with an average pace of 3:27 for the 3.2km.
    This puts me into 9th place.

Into T1 and I went to grab my bike, some shouting later I realise I shouldn't have missed that part of race briefing! Around a cone first and then collect bike. 10 seconds lost, no biggie.
    May have lost a place or two here but only seconds anyway.

Onto the Bike then and time to start clawing back some positions!
    No flying mount today, I haven't practised them and wasn't going arse over head for the sake of a couple seconds! So a normal mount, well, slow really but onto the bike and then I get overtaken straight away by a guy flying on a road bike. I mean flying, I was thinking how did he pick up so much speed so fast! No matter, buckle shoes in and down to aero.
    I start to reel him in straight away, and pick up some solid speed heading to roundabout 1.
    Approaching the roundabout and I'm pleasantly surprised to see Paul Carroll just leaving as I approach, so not much time gained on me just yet. I make a mental note of the point we pass to compare on the next lap as a tracker also.
    Around the roundabout and up the slight hill and into the head wind. I had experienced this on the warm up and knew it was where time could be gained.
    I reeled in another few places up to the Sportsman's and by the next roundabout I'm in 4th place and Paul Carroll still a similar gap to me as we approach roundabout.
    Bill McCormack is chasing hard - I know he's an uber biker and he seems to be gaining on him.
    Around the roundabout and the easy part with a slight tail wind and fast section.
    Down to roundabout No 3 and I don't seem to have gained much on 3rd place. He has a gap on me but on a positive side the leaders are in a similar place as I approach the roundabout so haven't gained too much on me.
    Around and into the wind again and more hard work. I start to gain a bit on 3rd but not close enough.
    As I approach final roundabout 4, I see pushing hard and into 1st place so he's overtaken Paul Carroll.
    Impressive stuff, I start to gain a bit more and am maybe 10 seconds down on 3rd heading into T2.

Bike - 27:14 for 17km, Avg Pace 37.3kph.
    3rd Fastest Bike split, 1min off Bill, 24 seconds off Paul Carroll
    So I've gained a few places and am in 4th.

T2 is a non affair really, rack bike, helmet off, squeeze shoes on and run out!
    Saying that, I did manage to lose 6-7 seconds on the 3 lads ahead of me so some work to be done there too!

Run 2

So out and the legs are moving ok, 3rd place is maybe 25 feet ahead of me and he is running good.
    I try to push but don't quite have the speed to reel him in. Curse the short bike course anyway!
    I'm not looking at pace, have no interest in HR and am just trying to chase down that podium place!
    He turns a couple times and I'm hopeful he'll tail off. But no! He's a strong runner and starts to pull away from me.
    I carry on pushing, KM1 done in 3:28, KM2 in 3:39 and I'm suffering a little.
    Onto the incline then and I start to hear some feet behind me. No I'm not losing this place, start to push a bit more and KM3 is a slow 4:00 but it's an incline. Levels a little then for final burst which I manage at 3:40 pace to hold off 5th by a mere 6 seconds!

Run 2 - 11:49, Avg Pace 3:41/km.

Overall - 51:19 and 4th place.
    Managed to bag €50 Age Group Prize also which was nice.
    Enjoyed this race a lot, a nice bit of race pace fun, some speed to be gained particularly on run but that will come as I progress.

Comparison time:
    Oct'11 - 54:11
    Apr'12 - 51:19
    Nice 3 minute gain.

I was 2.5mins behind Paul Carroll the winner, mainly on both runs and under 30secs behind on Bike.

The comparison to previous race seems to have been the bike was 1 min slower due to headwind. Who knows, if true it makes for some interesting comparisons. It does seem to be similar as a few from the last day were around 1min down in comparison. Who knows really though.

Results taken via pic as they were handed around :D

SportsmanDuathlonResultsApr12.jpg

Well done Fazz! Thats great going. Thats the same uy who ran away from me at Fingal! I just couldn't match him on the climb there. He's a solid runner!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Well done Fazz! Thats great going. Thats the same uy who ran away from me at Fingal! I just couldn't match him on the climb there. He's a solid runner!

That makes 2 of us so! Very fast running...

He's now on the hit list for us both... :D

BTW Fazz would you ever start up a log so we can all see what you are doing:)

• Advertisement

You might as well Fazz. You already give us a decent insight so no pointing holding it off, which reminds me ive to do last weeks yet!

Advertisement