Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmonica

Options
  • 10-04-2012 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Im messin about with guitar the last year or so and Im a big dylan fan . Im starting to think I should get myself a harmonica .
    I however have absolutely no idea about them . Anyone any feedback on price , headgear and how long they take to get you playing . Also is it hard to play guitar and blow the harmonica at the same time , Id imagine its just the same as singing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

€30/40 should get you a head piece and harmonica i think. also, you'll need to decide what key your getting (C, G?). Finally, make sure to practice loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

So would I need one for each key?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

cloptrop wrote: »
    So would I need one for each key?

That's up to you.
    I'm teaching myself harmonica at the moment. I bought a set of cheapish harmonicas, which includes A, B, C, D, E, F, G.
    However, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
    I've since bought some Hohner Marine Band harmonicas, in the keys of D, E and Bb, as these are the keys that I play/sing to a lot. Ultimately I'll pick all the keys up, but they're about 30euro a pop.

Btw, these are diatonic harmonicas I'm referring to. There are different types.

Is there a way to find what key I sing in?
    I find my voice is very limited and I can only sing certain songs well.
    Working class hero is one of them.
    I do this with the chords
    Am G Am
    Am D G Am
    Would this mean I should sing in whatever this key is, or am I way off, and just a **** singer and this is an easy song to sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

cloptrop wrote: »
    Is there a way to find what key I sing in?
    I find my voice is very limited and I can only sing certain songs well.
    Working class hero is one of them.
    I do this with the chords
    Am G Am
    Am D G Am
    Would this mean I should sing in whatever this key is, or am I way off, and just a **** singer and this is an easy song to sing.

Hmm. for that particular song (and key) you'd probably use G, and use your draw notes instead of your blow notes.. I play by ear and never really learned theory in anything so I can't explain very well :o

Sing in whatever key is comfortable, and adjust the chords accordingly. That'll tell you what harmonica to use - though it'll be fairly evident if you use the wrong one!

• Advertisement

Got a harmonica . Its really easy to play straight off improvise jamming . But to actually play a song is very hard . You forget what note you are on very quick then you have no idea where the next note is from there . Im sure I just need practice. I would highly recommend them even for someone that never played anything before.. You can get a tune going near straight off .

Advertisement