Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Do/Aspirational Events

Options
  • 09-04-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Looking for inspiration or something similar to set myself a few targets over the next few years.

As a triathlete what would you consider must do and/or aspirational events in the three disciplines and overall?

I'm thinking along the lines of 1 local (to Ireland) small event, 1 bigger national event and an international event in each category (tri, swim, bike, run). Something like:

Triathlon:
    • TriAthy Sprint
    • Dublin City Olympic
    • Kona Ironman
    Run
    • Great Ireland Run 10k
    • Dublin Marathon
    • Marathon Des Sables
    Bike
    • Wicklow 200
    • Malin Head to Mizen Head
    • Etape du Tour
    Swim
    • Escape From Ireland
    • i3 Lough derg swim
    • English Channel swim (this isn't a target for me!)
    Anyone fancy helping me get a bigger list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Triathlon:
    • TriAthy Sprint - Meh
    Run
    • Great Ireland Run 10k - Meh
    Bike
    • Wicklow 200 - Meh

Over rated I would say..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

For me realistic goals are (bearing in mind I ain't ever going to Kona :)):
    Escape from Alacatraz triathlon
    Alpe d'Huez Triathlon
    Roth IM
    Blacksod Triathlon (the only Irish race I really want to do and haven't)
    Norseman (maybe!)
    O till O (if I ever find a team mate)
    MDS

All are doable over the next few years although I may need to win the lotto to do them all...........

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

The Norseman looks incredible.

Tell me more about the Blacksod, why is it so good? not much on the interweb about it

EDIT: Just found the map of the course - now i understand
    http://www.kilmoretriathlonclub.com/index.php?pname=race

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

eoglyn wrote: »
    The Norseman looks incredible.

Tell me more about the Blacksod, why is it so good? not much on the interweb about it

EDIT: Just found the map of the course - now i understand
    http://www.kilmoretriathlonclub.com/index.php?pname=race

I lived in Blacksod on and off for about 3 years and worked in and around the coast there so I love that area and know how tough a race it could be. Problem for me is it clashes with the weekend of the All Ireland Final and I usually spend that weekend on the free beer courtesy of a supplier, maybe in 2012 I'll choose Blacksod over beer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Norseman has to be up there. Epic.

Coast to Coast New Zealand race. AR

Ultra trail de mont blanc: run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Triathlon:
    - IM Lanzarote

Run:
    - Comrades

Bike:
    - Tour d'Afrique

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

mloc123 wrote: »
    Triathlon:
    • TriAthy Sprint - Meh
    Run
    • Great Ireland Run 10k - Meh
    Bike
    • Wicklow 200 - Meh

Over rated I would say..

Yeah I agree, but what races/ events would you replace them with?

For the cycling the isle of man, end to end looks pretty good.

Is there a short run or tri though that is really appealing?

griffin100 wrote: »

O till O (if I ever find a team mate)

That look like a great event. If I was faster I'd offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

kilkee the best race and after race party in the world in my mind ( at least what i have seen) and i cant remember any place where one would have wheelbarrow races at half past 3 am .
    tough swim tough bike tough run tough party.
    World class.
    super well organized and marshaled , the best goodie bags i have ever seen . one of the few races where people stay after the race have a laugh.
    Its a classic race and one of the longest running triathlons.

For the best post race buffet in the world you have to do the olympic distace race two weeks before roth you go to the finish line and from 10 types of cake, to every fruit imaginable fruits to great sandwiches youghurt beer and smoothies its all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

i'm glad i've signed up for kilkee now - will have something to look forward to afterwards at least.

The connemarathon full and ultra would probably appear on international lists as an epic road race, the scenery does make it - i've ticked the full off my list and have no aspirations towards the ultra. I wouldn't fancy the half at all though - seems a bit crowded to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

The Alpe D'Huez tri would be at the top of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Drop the Great Ireland Run (then rip it up, burn it, and plow the ashes into the ground)
    Ballycotton is the only short run I can think of with any mystique.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Looking for inspiration or something similar to set myself a few targets over the next few years.

As a triathlete what would you consider must do and/or aspirational events in the three disciplines and overall?

I'm thinking along the lines of 1 local (to Ireland) small event, 1 bigger national event and an international event in each category (tri, swim, bike, run). Something like:

Triathlon:
    • TriAthy Sprint
    • Dublin City Olympic
    • Kona Ironman
    Run
    • Great Ireland Run 10k
    • Dublin Marathon
    • Marathon Des Sables
    Bike
    • Wicklow 200
    • Malin Head to Mizen Head
    • Etape du Tour
    Swim
    • Escape From Ireland
    • i3 Lough derg swim
    • English Channel swim (this isn't a target for me!)
    Anyone fancy helping me get a bigger list?

Tri-Athy Sprint??????????????:confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek:

RayCun wrote: »
    Drop the Great Ireland Run (then rip it up, burn it, and plow the ashes into the ground)
    Ballycotton is the only short run I can think of with any mystique.
    Nwm2 wrote: »
    Tri-Athy Sprint??????????????:confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek:

They're just in there unless something better comes along or is suggested by someone else.

I've no real intention of ever doing the GIR. i don't like the big busy races (although I'm signed up for the race series). Maybe there is a mythical mountain trail race that everyone should do at some point instead?

Yeahm triAthy Sprint is a bit weak too but is there any Sprint distance race that is seen as a must do? erhaps for Tri I need to be looking at Oly, Half and Full distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    kilkee the best race and after race party in the world in my mind ( at least what i have seen) and i cant remember any place where one would have wheelbarrow races at half past 3 am .
    tough swim tough bike tough run tough party.
    World class.
    super well organized and marshaled , the best goodie bags i have ever seen . one of the few races where people stay after the race have a laugh.
    Its a classic race and one of the longest running triathlons.

For the best post race buffet in the world you have to do the olympic distace race two weeks before roth you go to the finish line and from 10 types of cake, to every fruit imaginable fruits to great sandwiches youghurt beer and smoothies its all there.

I remember, or was reminded of, some epic nights in Kenmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

..... is there any Sprint distance race that is seen as a must do?

For me it would have to be Mullaghmore Sprint, it's like a mini Kilkee, only regret is having only ever done it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Run
    • Great Ireland Run 10k
    • Dublin Marathon
    • Marathon Des Sables

That's a very unexciting run list. I really don't get why people rate the MDS so highly. It is enormously over priced, and you don't seem to get very much for your money. Even from the point of view of racing in a desert it doesn't sound like either the most scenic, or the most gnarly. There's no way I'd spend my own cash on it when there are so many much better races for the same cash or cheaper...

nerraw1111 wrote: »

...And the UTMB is one prime example. Definitely the most epic running race I've done so far.

By the way nerraw1111 (and I bet you can see this coming!) you know that even the coast to coast itself doesn't describe itself as AR, it describes itself (correctly) as Multisports. The Kiwis know the difference!! It's another massively overpriced race too. The RD makes a fortune. No doubt its a classic though, and the top Kiwi racers all highly regard it. Something like the Godzone would be a much better experience though, unless you were racing for a podium spot in the C2C!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Triathlon:
    Kona

Run:
    Marathon Des Sables
    NY Marathon
    Comrades

That would do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Yeahm triAthy Sprint is a bit weak too but is there any Sprint distance race that is seen as a must do? erhaps for Tri I need to be looking at Oly, Half and Full distance?

For sprint: Athlone or Valentia or Brian Boru (ball buster) maybe?

But really, there is no Sprint that would make me drive more than 90 mins to get to. Even for an Olympic there would have to be a reason beyond the attraction of the race itself (eg National Series or Club away race).

I certainly would travel for a 70.3 or IM however

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Run
    WW Ultra or Conn or Dingle Ultra
    Boston Marathon
    UTMB

Swim
    Marathon OW distance 10k
    O till O
    A long scary one

Bike
    MTB the Ballyhouras trails
    MTB some trails at night
    Alpe d'Huez

Tri
    Hardman
    Norseman
    Kona

AR
    Gaelforce
    Beast of Ballyhouras
    Godzone or something long and scary like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Triathlon:
    • IM Lanzarote
    • Escape from Alcatraz
    • IM Austria (just coz)
    Run
    • Marathon Des Sables
    • Comrades
    • Copper Canyon Ultra

AR/Multisport
    • Godzone
    • O till O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Enduro wrote: »

...And the UTMB is one prime example. Definitely the most epic running race I've done so far.

By the way nerraw1111 (and I bet you can see this coming!) you know that even the coast to coast itself doesn't describe itself as AR, it describes itself (correctly) as Multisports. The Kiwis know the difference!! It's another massively overpriced race too. The RD makes a fortune. No doubt its a classic though, and the top Kiwi racers all highly regard it. Something like the Godzone would be a much better experience though, unless you were racing for a podium spot in the C2C!

Haha. I didn't see it coming! Didnt know C2C wasn't classed as an AR but you're right. Impressive. Unlike the kiwis to call a
    a spade a spade.

I did know that the RD makes a fortune and way over priced tho.

Godzone looks amazing. Was on Milford Sound on a boat trip a few years back. Would be something else to kayak into it and explore that whole region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

most of these are purly aspirational

Triathlon:
    • IM UK
    • IM France
    • Hell of the West.
    • Lost Sheep
    • HardMan
    Run:
    • Marathon Des Sables
    • Spartathlon
    • Great Wall of China Marathon
    • NY Marathon
    • Another Dingle
    Bike:
    • Tour of Flanders
    • Spend a month doing either the Giro or Le Tour route,
    • Race Around Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Was on Milford Sound on a boat trip a few years back. Would be something else to kayak into it and explore that whole region.

Same here.... man, I'm so jealous of those guys. What an experience!

Advertisement