Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E31 clean up weekend project

Options
  • 08-04-2012 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

Spent the weekend getting the 8er cleaned up to see if I can sell it. It has been either under cover or in the garage for most of the past 2 years and only covered about 1000 miles if that.

The paint was in reasonable condition for its age but with a fair bit of sun and atmospheric damage. It has a fair few stone ships on the nose and bonnet which I am not addressing. Also some rust bubbling above the window and SC damage :@ that I'm also leaving as is.

The paint turned out to be as tough as nails. Sonus 1 on a #1 pad hardly made any impact. So, based on the length of time I had to spend on the DA just for the first pass, I left it at that and sealed it with sonus 4. I'm happy enough with the finish but if I was keeping it I would do one panel at a time with numbers 1-4. That's what I'll do with the M5 when it's ready for it (If the pain is as hard and thick enough).

Stages: -
    Snow, power rinse bottom up (Valet Pro - PH Neutral Snow Foam)
    Wash (Megs Hyper wash and mf mit) (first use and love it - great foaming and cleaning action)
    Rubbers and crevices etc cleaned with APC and detailing brush
    Dry (Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel)
    De-tar (Megs body solvent) - Thumbs up for this stuff
    Snow again and power rinse
    Dry
    Clay (don't know which brand, Megs last touch diluted as lubricant)
    Dry and once over with Megs last touch and mf to buff
    Prep for polishing (3M masking tape) (used panel wipe on rubber trims that had silicone spray etc on them) (took ages)
    DA with Sonus SFX 1 on a Sonus #1 pad. (Like chewing concrete) (.. and contours are a btard with the DA, even with spot pads)
    Sealed with Sonus SFX4 on a Sonus #4 pad.
    Swissvax Mirage wax with foam applicator
    Finished with Sonus acrylic glanze

.. then the einterior
    Megs APC on the carpets and most everywhere
    water and vinegar for the glass
    Zymol leather cleaner and AG Leather balm

So, here are some pics.

1snow1.jpg

2brush1.jpg
    ^ you can see the sticky stuff on the left that the body solvent helped lift
    4bodySolvent.jpg
    Body solvent ^

6clay1.jpg

7prepped1.jpg

10cleaning1.jpg

And some results: -

osSide1.jpg

osSide2.jpg

osRear1.jpg

osFront1.jpg

interiorDriver1.jpg

interiorRear1.jpg

nsSide1.jpg

front2.jpg

I knew this would happen - don't want to sell it now.....

btw - used the Karcher wet/dry vac, tough as nails and did a grand job. Could do with a flat head attachment though. Had to draw up the water from the carpets with a narrow fitting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

There is detailing and then there is you...:D
    Thats some attention to detail in fairness K...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Thanks but not done even half properly tbh. Burns some serious hours and effort.

I'd like to have a good base that I can maintain rather than play catch up all the time. I was happy enough with the 5er until I gave it some close attention.

I suspect though that it's (detailng) one of those things that you're never happy with. There's always a better way or better outcome ....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'm really liking the detailing portion of this forum. Getting excited waiting for the kestrel group buy to arrive. That car is a credit to you E39, stunning colour and interior. Keep it if you can, or I can look after it for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

This is another reason we need dedicated detailing thread. Love seeing before and after pictures of major details.

It needs the following (plus appropriate storage): -

Roof liner fabric replaced - big enough job
    Nose needs respraying
    Rust over the window needs urgent attention - roof repsray and either sunroof delete or service.
    Intermittent electrical problem with the amp
    Pitman arm replaced (have it in the garage - never got to it)
    Throttle bodies cleaned - need to ship to Canada
    Steering wheel clock spring needs replacing, it squeaks
    Some internal trim needs replacing or clips repaired
    Plastic trim on the bonnet is fading

... and guaranteed other things to go, most likely when you least expect it.

Thats it really. They demand a lot of attention though and theres a list as long as your arm of prevantative things that could be done to it.

If I was to keep it I'd have to do the urgent things so it can be stored and hope that the gov dont change the classic tax rules between now and 2021.

Then theres the performance mods I'd like to do.

Not to mention the btard motor tax.... The M5 is chewing that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

E39MSport wrote: »
    Steering wheel clock spring needs replacing, it squeaks

Are you sure it's the clock spring? It could be the lower bearing on the steering column which just needs grease. It travels up through the column and sounds like it's the clock spring.

You could be right tbh. It's years since I did my research on it but theres a faint memory of cs. Not uncommon. Annoying !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

You should leave the blue tape on. Looks awesome :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Jimdagym wrote: »
    You should leave the blue tape on. Looks awesome :pac:

It actually does look cool with the tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DubDetailer

Great job and what a fantastic car :cool:

interior, after 21 years still looks great in terms of both design and how clean you got it looking

How long did it take for you to walk into the house after it was all done??im going to say 2 hours :D

Great job and your mad to consider selling, most 8's that went up recently have either been sold for nothing or have been up for the long haul :o

• Advertisement

Great job and what a fantastic car :cool:

interior, after 21 years still looks great in terms of both design and how clean you got it looking

How long did it take for you to walk into the house after it was all done??im going to say 2 hours :D

Great job and your mad to consider selling, most 8's that went up recently have either been sold for nothing or have been up for the long haul :o

;)

Lots of rubber necking alright. It will be hard for me (almost impossible) to let it go for a song but I'm tying to get my act together on the car front.
    The M5 put the nail in the 8er's coffin. It too demands attention but is more (slightly) practical.
    I suppose I could always shift the M5 and get what I was supposed to get (vrs or similar) so I can keep the 8er. I am very fond of it. I have always regretted selling my 4th gen prelude and I have a feeling that I'll be adding to that misery.
    Damn it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Op, be careful of those der wunder towels. I've a few of them and they all went kind of stiff after washing, caused some marring of the paint when drying.

Nice work on the car btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

OP, nothing like a hard days graft. Pity the Sun didn't come out at the end for the photo shoot! As an aside, you would be better using Carnauba Spritz or similar detail spray after applying a carnauba wax, rather than Acrylic Glanz, which is really a pure acrylic sealant in spray form. But good work all the same.

And I would say this to everyone, get and wear Nitrile gloves when working with cleaners and chemicals. Not just to avoid skin irritation but potential health issues down the line with repeated use.

Cheers man. Good points. Never considered having to wear gloves with any of those fancy smelling things.

Plus, I've used the Carnauba Spritz is much preferred by me but dont have it to hand. It's lovely. Used it on a black 335i to great effect after a similar work out.

Advertisement