Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Fabia power steering

Options
  • 08-04-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I have a 2010 1.2lt skoda fabia, I bought it new but havent driven it all that much (6,500km). I have yet to get it serviced:o. I was reversing into a parking space the steering was straight just reversing back on a flat surface when the power steering light showed up and the steering wheel locked then got really heavy, nearly impossible to move it. It is still under warranty and i'm not really sure what to do. I have my test in a few wks and was hoping to use it but now a bit scared.
    I dont know what to do, would i bring it back to the dealer and ask them to look at it as it still under warranty, would they void my warranty and charge me a bomb to check it.
    This is probably my fault as I am an idiot for not servicing it earlier I am just looking for some advice as what to do, any advice or maybe even if someone had similar issues would be helpful. thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Elliza wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a 2010 1.2lt skoda fabia, I bought it new but havent driven it all that much (6,500km). I have yet to get it serviced:o. I was reversing into a parking space the steering was straight just reversing back on a flat surface when the power steering light showed up and the steering wheel locked then got really heavy, nearly impossible to move it. It is still under warranty and i'm not really sure what to do. I have my test in a few wks and was hoping to use it but now a bit scared.
    I dont know what to do, would i bring it back to the dealer and ask them to look at it as it still under warranty, would they void my warranty and charge me a bomb to check it.
    This is probably my fault as I am an idiot for not servicing it earlier I am just looking for some advice as what to do, any advice or maybe even if someone had similar issues would be helpful. thanks:)

Personally I'd be inclined to book it in for a service and ask them to look at it at the same time. If you're challenged about the gap in history, you could pass it off in any number of ways.

It's interesting that this was still a problem in 2010. My mother's 2000 Fabia has suffered from the same complaint since about 2005. Dealer replaced the turn angle sensor several times, under warranty, but the problem always came back after a while. The next approach would have been to replace the steering rack - expensive - and after that there have been reports of wiring looms being replaced to try cure the problem.

Bottom line - get it permanently fixed under warranty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

OP, the power steering in your fabia is electrically operated. It's a warranty issue and a well documented one with lots of fabia's suffering from this issue.

Book it in and ask for it to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

.....and have it serviced properly, or you will likely have difficulties with any warranty claims...not to mention ruining your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Wouldnt say the car is ruined to be fair. That's just being over dramatic. If it was my car I'd have it serviced regardless of mileage but unfortunately this is Ireland. Cars aren't looked at until they stop usually.

I would be extremely suprised if the dealer didn't look after you. Ford and VW are generous for good will in my experience. The OH had an expensive part covered at 4 years old due to low mileage by VW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Wouldnt say the car is ruined to be fair. That's just being over dramatic. If it was my car I'd have it serviced regardless of mileage but unfortunately this is Ireland. Cars aren't looked at until they stop usually.

I would be extremely suprised if the dealer didn't look after you. Ford and VW are generous for good will in my experience. The OH had an expensive part covered at 4 years old due to low mileage by VW.

It may not be ruined yet, but its not off to a good start.

• Advertisement

I am in agreement doctor. Thinking about it, little use, electric steering - battery issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I know the steering column issue has absolutely nothing to do with servicing, but it certainly doesn't make the OP's case any easier, especially as being a 2010 it could now be out of warranty, so you're down to goodwill, and no service history certainly doesn't help the cause for a goodwill payment!

OP, servicing at least once a year regardless of mileage is absolutely essential for any car - oil degrades over time so after two years it's probably not doing the job it's supposed to be doing at this stage - so get it done asap!

It's no wonder people think "old" cars are unreliable - is it any wonder when some cars aren't looked after properly from day one? Neglecting anything mechanical will have conseqences down the line, maybe not for the first owner, but defintiely for someone else!

I know the steering column issue has absolutely nothing to do with servicing, but it certainly doesn't make the OP's case any easier, especially as being a 2010 it could now be out of warranty, so you're down to goodwill, and no service history certainly doesn't help the cause for a goodwill payment!

OP, servicing at least once a year regardless of mileage is absolutely essential for any car - oil degrades over time so after two years it's probably not doing the job it's supposed to be doing at this stage - so get it done asap!

A proactive dealership and some would easily argue a case. I would be of the opinion lack of use may be an issue. It works out as about 9km a day - very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Guy I know with a 2011 Corsa got a letter to bring it in for initial service when it hit 1,500km. As it had 2,000km on the clock when he got the letter, he didn't bother. When he eventually booked it (with some issues) with over 12,000km up, there was some discussion before the dealer agreed go ahead.

His answer, when I tried to explain how his behaviour could harm the engine: Not my problem, I'll be changing it next year.....

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement