Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Pasat 1.6 TDI Comfortline

Options
  • 05-04-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

volkswagen passat 1.6TDI Comfortline
    Hi im thinking of purchasing a 2011 Volkswagen Passat 1.6TDI COMFORTLINE. For those who have one how do you find them? Is parking easy?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What are used to driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Don't know about the parking bit but I only drove a 1.6 TDI Golf the other day and its slower than watching turnips grow. Completley over whelmed by the size and weight of the car. I can only imagine how bad it is in a Passat which is 150 odd kg's heavier. My 2 cents, good luck with the car.

I believe they have different bhp models, I drove a golf as well and youre right (most likely the lowest bhp one)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I believe they have different bhp models, I drove a golf as well and youre right (most likely the lowest bhp one)

I thought the 1.6 were all 105 bhp?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Matthewjohn

Theres a 90bhp awell

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    I thought the 1.6 were all 105 bhp?

There's a 90hp as well (in the golf)

Theres a 90bhp awell

What the hell is happening to the motoring world :eek::P

Is there one with less cause it felt like less ..... very much less ..... very very much less ...... and noisy ....... yeah nosiy.

Come to think of it why would you want one at all!

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Is there one with less cause it felt like less ..... very much less ..... very very much less ...... and noisy ....... yeah nosiy.

Come to think of it why would you want one at all!

And I thought @ 105bhp things just could not get any worse :o

There will be a 1.2 TDI golf eventually I'd say.

• Advertisement

Oh God. Uuggghhh.

They are in the Ibiza already aint they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Damien360

brenne89 wrote: »
    volkswagen passat 1.6TDI Comfortline
    Hi im thinking of purchasing a 2011 Volkswagen Passat 1.6TDI COMFORTLINE. For those who have one how do you find them? Is parking easy?

We had a few as fleet cars. The 2011 comfortline is very well spec'd in old shape. Park sensors were included as it was end of line before new model. But the 1.6TDI is slow. Fuel economy is awful as it has to be driven very hard to get it moving. We had no issues with them but indy mechanic is very iffy about the starter wearing out with the stop/start feature.

If you intend to do a lot of open road driving then get something else. If it is just a bigger runabout/family car and the deal is good then should be no issue.

Colm_mcm comment about what are you used to driving is very relevent question. If you are used to bit of power, forget it. If you are coming from a small runabout then this is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 brenne89

I had a 00 1.9TDI golf but changed last year to a Nissan Quasqui 1.5. I find that a bit show compared to the Golf. The Passat is 1.6 TDI (red I) 105BHP.

How about a seat exeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Damien360 wrote: »
    We had a few as fleet cars. The 2011 comfortline is very well spec'd in old shape. Park sensors were included as it was end of line before new model. But the 1.6TDI is slow. Fuel economy is awful as it has to be driven very hard to get it moving. We had no issues with them but indy mechanic is very iffy about the starter wearing out with the stop/start feature.

If you intend to do a lot of open road driving then get something else. If it is just a bigger runabout/family car and the deal is good then should be no issue.

I have a end of life 2010/2011 model of the 1.6 TDi Comfortline and I disagree.

The 1.6 TDi is not slow. It may be slow compared to its 2.0TDi sister but it is not slow. The fuel economy is fairly good actually. I mostly get about 1150kms from a tank of diesel which is good. The start/stop feature has never been an issue with me. Mine is a June 2010 registered Passat with 145,000kms on the clock and no issues so far except for some warranty work on the interior door card.

Open driving as well. I do about 1300kms per week and the car is perfect for it.

Fine I would prefer the Insignia myself but as a fleet car I didn't get much choice. I could have a 1.6 TDi in Silver or in Silver. :D

To the OP. Parking is relevant to what you drive of course. If you drove a bigger luxobarge like an old lexus then you just won't fit into certain spaces. Same with the Passat. Some you fit into and some you dont. Parking sensors are helpful though but annoying when some stupid pedestrian walks passed the front of your car when paraellel parking because you think you just hit something when the "beeps" go bananas. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Twiggy69

I'm driving a 2011 new 1.6 tdi Passat, Comfortline, after driving 520d BMW's, I am still impressed with it. It is far from slow, I am still surprised at how quickly it sneaks up to 140km on the open road... Only gripe I have with it is there is no Cruise Control. There is a beep once you hit a speed eg I have it set for 125km and it chimes once I exceed that. I've done 40,000 km in the past year and am very impressed with fuel economy, 1200km per tank = 110 euro It is very comfortable and holds the road well and I have driven it in some of the worst weather of the past 12 months. Plus for the money, they are one of the most stylish cars on the road ( I think)

Good luck with your purchase.

Safe driving

Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Damien360

Beer Baron wrote: »
    The 1.6 TDi is not slow. It may be slow compared to its 2.0TDi sister but it is not slow. The fuel economy is fairly good actually. I mostly get about 1150kms from a tank of diesel which is good. The start/stop feature has never been an issue with me. Mine is a June 2010 registered Passat with 145,000kms on the clock and no issues so far except for some warranty work on the interior door card.

Open driving as well. I do about 1300kms per week and the car is perfect for it.

Fine I would prefer the Insignia myself but as a fleet car I didn't get much choice. I could have a 1.6 TDi in Silver or in Silver. :D

The rest of the fleet is actually insignia's for us. There are a few 2.0TDi versions also. Compared to the insignia and the 2.0TDi it is slow. Anyone who has one does not drive in top gear ever and the first thing turned off is the stop/start feature. They drive very hard to get to speed and fuel economy collapses. All the driving is open road 55000km per year. Every driver of the old model passat 1.6Tdi model say it would be a stunning car if it had the 2.0Tdi due to spec levels of the interior.

Mind you, the insignia is not great on fuel either (6.0L/100km). Might be an indication of the driving style of our fleet drivers :D

I should point out that my measurement of slow is not it's top speed (a micra will get there eventually) but its ability to pick up speed for overtakes and time to get to motorway speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Eireplates

Mrs Eireplates is driving a 11 Comfotline Passat 1.6 TDI and its a great car. Not too slow either but I find 6th very high geared so you need to change to 5th for overtaking. Fuel economy is great with over 1000 kms to a tank. Mix of country road and city suburb driving. Very refined car.

As regards parking I fitted colour coded parking sensors to her one as they should have been standard. It is a bit difficult to judge the rear properly without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

2012 Comfortline and even trendline Passat come with Cruise as standard now. My B6 2010 has Cruise Control which for me is a godsend because of my mileage.

The 125km/h beep. You can switch that off. When stationary access the OBC and turn it off. I knocked mine off a long time ago as cruise control keeps my speed under control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The B7 is much better than the B6 to drive. Had a B6 when they launched that engine and thought it was quite poor to drive and the economy wasn't that fantastic either. The B7 had a 6 speed box that has helped it a lot and they now drive fairly well. Not a rocket ship (like the engine it replaced) but not dog slow either.

Boot is quite long so not the easiest thing to guage the length of. Factory parking sensors are front and rear and have a visual display as well as the beep, but if it doesn't have them its only around 300 to get a colour coded set for the rear - thats probably about the same as 1 bumper repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Beer Baron wrote: »
    2012 Comfortline and even trendline Passat come with Cruise as standard now. My B6 2010 has Cruise Control which for me is a godsend because of my mileage.

The 125km/h beep. You can switch that off. When stationary access the OBC and turn it off. I knocked mine off a long time ago as cruise control keeps my speed under control.
    I don't think so, VW had cruise control as standard on Comfort line on the previous Passat since 2005, but ditched it when the new model came out last year and added it to a "pack" that you have to buy for around €1,200. So even the Comfort Line doesn't have it anymore. But you can add it with that silly pack to any trim level. They figured out that most people wanted it, so by removing it from the standard trim level and adding it as part of some pack gimmick, people would pay for it. They were right.

Advertisement