Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Model 2007 Ford mondeo High mileage help!

Options
  • 05-04-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have falling in love with the new shaped ford mondeo. My budget is around 7000 euro, so it looks like all I can afford is something with high mileage around the 120,000 miles mark. I don't have a great knowledge with cars so any help will be appreciated. :)

07 new model...1.8 tdci zetec 6 speed

Example: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2995977

I'm wondering are there any problems I should look out for and how long it would run for? I would like to keep it at least for 3 years.

I know this all depends on what current service is on the car and has the previous owner looked after it.

Doing a bit of research online there are a few things to look out for:
    Whilst the engine is ticking over press the clutch and listen carefully. If you can hear any rattling coming from the gearbox then the dual mass flywheel will be on its last legs. :D

I suppose really what im asking is am I mad to even look at high mileage in this kind of car?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I wouldn’t really call 120k miles high mileage and if it has a Full service history as claimed it shouldn’t be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Seanot

I suppose its not very high. I just want know peoples experiences with buying a car over 100,000 miles and in particular 2007 mondeo. thanks for the reply tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Falling in love with a diesel Mondeo?

Only in Ireland....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

166man wrote: »
    Falling in love with a diesel Mondeo?

Only in Ireland....

:D

By your name I'm guessing if there was an Alfa badge on the comment would be ok:p

There is a lot to like about those cars. Bar looks (and I must say that particular engine), it drives a lot better than a 159, is roomier and an easier sell at higher miles. If it was me buying I would spend some more time and try to find a 2 litre in either titanium or titanium x spec.

That 1.8 engine is a robust ole yoke, once it gets oil changes and on time belts it will chug away for another 120k miles no bother all being equal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Be warned if the dual mass flywheel wasn't replaced yet you'll be looking at an expensive bill. Most of them flywheels start to act the bollox come around the 100k mark. Ask was it replaced.
    Other than that they are a good solid car and give little trouble other than that, the engine and gearbox except the flywheels are very reliable. However the 2.0 has a more smooth power band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

By your name I'm guessing if there was an Alfa badge on the comment would be ok:p

There is a lot to like about those cars. Bar looks (and I must say that particular engine), it drives a lot better than a 159, is roomier and an easier sell at higher miles. If it was me buying I would spend some more time and try to find a 2 litre in either titanium or titanium x spec.

It was more just a tongue in cheek comment to be honest about falling in love with a 1.8TDCI Mondeo...

I have never driven the Mondeo but I have the 159 and it drives very well. A Titanium X Spec model with the 2.0TDCI engine in the right colour and wheels does look good though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Seanot

Thanks for the feedback guys. Im still looking I will keep ye posted.

Advertisement