Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

At last, a giant feathered tyrannosauroid!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

No comments on this yet, and I thought it was the finding of the month! XD

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Just saw this on google news

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17612354
    The dinosaur, whose name translates as "beautiful feathered tyrant", shares some features with later tyrannosaurs like T.rex, but has three functional fingers (where T. rex had two) and a foot typical of other early tyrannosaur relatives.

The discovermagazine link didnt mention anything about finger count though. still more info than the first article i read on the subject. But yes big news

T.Rex has been on a bit of a rollercoaster ride. hollywood cementing the idea it was the perfect killer, then later assumptions revealing it may have been nothing more than a capable scavenger, then recently revealing ct scans of its skulls brain cavity indicating it was a more capable predator than previously thought (capable of detecting infrasound and better vision etc.). Now theres a chance it may have been feathery :eek: Full of surprises

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Adam Khor wrote: »

No comments = denial. :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sorry Adam, you must understand putting feathers on T-Rex is destroying my child hood. As Kess said, I'm very much in denial here. :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Haha ok ok I understand...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I can't think of anything constructive to say really.

Here chicky chicky.

Polly wants his seed (or he'll bite yer head off)

Sorry. I'll go and hide in a darkened corner.

Ok, seems that Yutyrannus is already controversial. Some dude claims that it looks more like a carcharodontosaur-type animal than a tyrannosauroid- specifically, that it's similar to Concavenator.
    Others say that it's like a blend of tyrannosauroid and carcharodontosaur traits (hinting at possible common ancestor, maybe? if so it would re-write theropod classification).

I personally think it looks quite a bit like Guanlong, and it wouldn´t surprise me if it was its direct descendant but, what do I know? Im no expert. I just... look at pics.

Yutyrannus:

yutyrannus_schedel.jpg

Guanlong:

guanlong_skull.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Adam Khor wrote: »

I was internetless for a week, but wow! This is awesome news.
    The fossil skull looks very 'tyrannosaury' to me, but the drawings look quite 'carcharodontosauridy'. I'll have to read up on this more.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Don't know about yours. But my T. rex has not got feathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Allosaur wrote: »
    Don't know about yours. But my T. rex has not got feathers.

:pac:

Mine has coats made from the skins of just about everything else. (Those dainty "little" hands were good at needlework you know.

Well it makes sense to me :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement