Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sratch and Dings repair

• 03-04-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya folks,
    I'm looking for some advice on restoring/repairing the paint work on my car and this seems to be the best place :)
    I have a Megane CC (Pearlescent Black) that has a variety of scratches and dings I want to repair.
    There is a particularly bad rub type scratch over the left rear wheel arch and some other scratches on the front wings, and as the wings are plastic I'm unsure as to how best to proceed.
    I have tried the usual compound/polisher and while it has improved things a bit its still not great.
    What would be the best procedure for this if there is still salvagable paint in place?
    Super fine wet polish and then compound?
    Any advice will be appreciated as I have no experience in this.
    Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Jump on the group buy for the Dual Action polisher if there's a slot left.

Sounds like if it partially responded to hand polishing then you have a good chance of full restoration with a DA and either basic Sonus or Manzerna etc compounds.

There are also some compounds out there that react better to hand polishing. You might get a good result with an appropriate applicator and polish combination. Don't have the time right now to research that. (think it might be mentioned in here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

banie01 wrote: »
    What would be the best procedure for this if there is still salvagable paint in place?
    Super fine wet polish and then compound?
    Any advice will be appreciated as I have no experience in this.

Hard to say for sure without seeing it. Have you any pictures of the damage?
    Machine correction may work, as long as the clear coat hasnt been removed totally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

E39MSport wrote: »
    Jump on the group buy for the Dual Action polisher if there's a slot left.

Sounds like if it partially responded to hand polishing then you have a good chance of full restoration with a DA and either basic Sonus or Manzerna etc compounds.

There are also some compounds out there that react better to hand polishing. You might get a good result with an appropriate applicator and polish combination. Don't have the time right now to research that. (think it might be mentioned in here)

I have a multi action polisher(RAC) and a a variety of polishing heads for a multispeed angle grinder that I own.
    But apart from being used for basic polishing, I've never used them to attempt a correction before so advice would be very welcome ;)
    Curran wrote: »
    Hard to say for sure without seeing it. Have you any pictures of the damage?
    Machine correction may work, as long as the clear coat hasnt been removed totally.

I've added pics of the worst damage, I'm hoping its salvagable.
    The wing in particular has me confused as to how best to proceed as with it being plastic I'm not sure if theres a different approach to correction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

ouch. They're not coming out with a DA imo. Thanks for the pics.

I'd be sanding it down for a localised spray or you could have a stab with a correction pen job from Halfords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

As above....wasting your time trying to machine polish them. The only thing it may do, is round the edges of the scratches to nature the a little less obvious, but unfortunately they are pretty nasty! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for confirming my fears :(
    I'll give the touch up paint a try and with some patience and plenty of elbow grease hopefully I'll get a decent result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Spotless

Did you hit a white pillar or something? That could be transfer from whatever you hit.

Advertisement