Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting past in the last 2 metres of a race

Options
  • 01-04-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

So fanboys, 7th. With a lot ofthe big boys sick or puncturing......... Come on. Defend your hero.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

tunney wrote: »
    So fanboys, 7th. With a lot ofthe big boys sick or puncturing......... Come on. Defend your hero.

i'm fairly certain from the 2 minutes I watched that he was the only one taking part in the race - how could he have finished 7th in a one man race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

It's all good for the brand.

This is like the difficult middle section of a film where everything seems to be going wrong. Never fear though, our stout-hearted hero will pull through, and victory will be all the greater for having tasted the bittersweet fruits of defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Time for a montage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

But but he did his best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

2nd ever HIM, still needs to fine tune his nutrition, trying out different things ready for his 'A' race in France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

2nd ever HIM, still needs to fine tune his nutrition, trying out different things ready for his 'A' race in France.

Nutrition is not a factor in a 4hr HIM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

What was the time difference between 7th and 1st?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Coming 7th in his retirement hobby. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Can't see how you can diss Armstrong over this result. He's proved the elites aren't that elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Why so angry tunney?

He is elite he trains as hard as anybody else, full stop.
    The rest is the work of legal departments. and life is not fair...

Makes me laugh how people can be so naive and think that he dosnt train hard ( he the most competetive person in the world) and that a 40 year old cant perform .... crowie 39 macca 38- cam brown 40 ...
    Just look at paul caroll who at the age of 42 learns to swim faster
    and improves his cycling over 40 k by more than 2 min from last year....
    there was a guy in the 44-49 age group that finished 5th in the british duathlon champs ...... Matt Malloy is over 40 Alan Ryan over 40

craig alexander said in an interview he was told as early than 2007 that lance would go to hawaii most likely in 2012 and heared it again 2009........

Why do people have to talk if they have no understanding what they are talking about ?

Same if one says that triathletes are not that elite, who had the fastest bike split a 7 time tdf winner olympic tt champion ( and US triathlon champ) or a triathlete ....
    not that it matters in the least since it only maters who goes fastest from A to B ... and not about 1 split

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

peter kern wrote: »
    He is elite he trains as hard as anybody else, full stop.

One's fitness has to be built over the years by natural means. Your a coach . how can you respect the guy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Actually, as a big detractor of Armstrong I have to hold my hands up and say fair play to the man. Comes back into the sport as something to kill a bit of time around the weekends and he gets a top 10 finish, not bad for a retired old man. I might give it a go myself, seems easy to get a good placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Yes an ex professional cyclist of 20 years who has won 7 tours and has access to a host of experts cant get his nutrition right for a HIM - oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I thinks it's a pain in the a$$ that all the attention is focused around Lance. Nearly all the other PROs get overlooked in the media and the reports. It was interesting to see a lot of PROs giving out about it on twitter whilst the race was going on yesterday.

I'd say the WTC are laughing all the way to the bank!

As for his performance, I think it will only act as a motivator for him to do better. He was seriously pi$$ed at getting passed in the closing metres and finishing off the podium.

I don't believe he will be able to build a big enough lead off the bike to hold off Crowie, or a healthy Raelert or Mario on the run.

There'll be serious media coverage in Kona if he gets there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I respect this guy as much as Goldman Sachs....

Personaly, I believe that jan Ulrich was right when he said he cheated nobody.....
    I have stopped following cycling years ago as I dodnt like the stigma of cycling.

But i do respect this guy like any elite athlete, for training hard and racing hard.

And till now the fact about him is innocent until proven guilty....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    I respect this guy as much as Goldman Sachs....

I think I just wet myself..............
    you definitely were fvcked out of Germany for being too funny.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Yes an ex professional cyclist of 20 years who has won 7 tours and has access to a host of experts cant get his nutrition right for a HIM - oh dear

+1
    You would probably have a bit more respect for the guy if he said he was just not good enough to challenge for the win on the day instead of using nutrition as an excuse.

Goldman Sachs reference is golden:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

kennyb3 wrote: »

+1
    You would probably have a bit more respect for the guy if he said he was just not good enough to challenge for the win on the day instead of using nutrition as an excuse.

Goldman Sachs reference is golden:)

But he did fvck up his nutrition. Happens to the best of them. I'm not a fan of the guy but a lot of the triathletes are coming up with bizarre logic to discredit his performance. Citing his ability to get his nutrition during the TDF which basically means a domestique handing him bottles throughout the day as well as a feeding zone. No comparison.

Never has a 7th place being derided as a failure. I wouldn't be surprise if it emerges that Armstrong was gracious in defeat, told the 6 other lads they were better on the day. Much like the ridiculous notion that he 'snubbed' the winner in Panama.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    But he did fvck up his nutrition. Happens to the best of them. I'm not a fan of the guy but a lot of the triathletes are coming up with bizarre logic to discredit his performance. Citing his ability to get his nutrition during the TDF which basically means a domestique handing him bottles throughout the day as well as a feeding zone. No comparison.

Never has a 7th place being derided as a failure. I wouldn't be surprise if it emerges that Armstrong was gracious in defeat, told the 6 other lads they were better on the day. Much like the ridiculous notion that he 'snubbed' the winner in Panama.

Emmm so brushing past the winner and then tweeting "oh I didn't mean anything about it" isn't snubbing?

I'd say that there is a 50/50 chance he will pull out of Nice.

7V7C1270_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

Lance looks fat here..

mloc123 wrote: »

Lance looks fat here..

Peter???? Peter????

You are the expert on fat or not!!! :)

• Advertisement

Lance looks fat here..

I seen a video clip yesterday and done a double take alright. Looks to be carrying a lot of excess around the tummy area. Not an expert in tt position but his position looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Lance is known to have a strange TT position. His suits him though and he has had it wind tunnel tested plenty to make sure. Didnt the helmet company make his lid specifically for him too based on the strange position? He's no more fat. His hunch makes it look like it but you can be assured he's in better shape than any of us. This isn't a "hobby" for him. He's not going to race at anything less than top form. He's too competitive for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Definitely looks top heavy there. Watched the video of the race. He was turning a massive cadence on the bike 100+. A few lads just sat in behind legally and let him do all the work. Think his oversized ego got the better of him. Ironman is all about the Lance Armstrong show this year. Sad to see. Any idea how much he makes from the Livestrong foundation? He's like Georgia Salpa. A PR genius :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Did anyone see the response from Lance to Rasmus on twitter? Priceless!!! :D

Rasmus - Incredible racing at 70.3 Texas.....
    Lance to Rasmus - any comment on doping controls?

Bambaata is right, its hard to believe he could be that fat.. But I can' think of any other reason his torso would look so bloated

:D

Surely he can get that torso lower- seems to be massive frontal area there. I can't believe his aerodynamics can't be improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Surely he can get that torso lower- seems to be massive frontal area there. I can't believe his aerodynamics can't be improved.

Just think how good he could have been!

pgibbo wrote: »
    Did anyone see the response from Lance to Rasmus on twitter? Priceless!!! :D

Rasmus - Incredible racing at 70.3 Texas.....
    Lance to Rasmus - any comment on doping controls?

Only the top 3 get tested? He obviously slowed down in order to avoid the test...

MrCreosote wrote: »

Maybe his aerodynamics can be improved but I doubt his position can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Lance looks fat here..

A pair of 7 litre lungs will give you a barrell chest.

Advertisement