Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

training on good bike

Options
  • 30-03-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, I recently bought a nearly new Tri bike a felt B12 and I don't really have a road bike that fits me properly, so i was wondering should i do all my training on the tri bike and on the stock wheels buying a better set for racing or should i buy a cheap road bike to train on and just use the stock wheels for racing on the the tri bike.

Any opinions welcome, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I have just bought the good TT bike and an older bike that the TT is going to replace for race duty. I had also bought last year a pair of nearly new Mavic Ksyriums as a replacement for the rusted cpx22's that came with the old bike.

I used the training bike for the winter on the turbo with the rusted cpx22's but the TT bike has been cracked open last week and planning to use that from now till the end of race season. I have race wheels but they will only go on a day or two before the races so it will be the Ksyriums for training on TT bike.

Don't know if that really helps above but I wouldn't bother with buying a cheap training bike till end of season at this stage, train on the B12 and put it up on the images of beauty thread as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I use my TT for everything. Have a training set of wheel and a set for races only, thats all i swap around.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

keelang wrote: »
    Hi, I recently bought a nearly new Tri bike a felt B12 and I don't really have a road bike that fits me properly, so i was wondering should i do all my training on the tri bike and on the stock wheels buying a better set for racing or should i buy a cheap road bike to train on and just use the stock wheels for racing on the the tri bike.

Any opinions welcome, thanks in advance.

I have a TT bike for racing, and for the turbo. I have a road bike for most outdoor training rides, and am glad that I do. I rarely use the TT bike outdoors on training rides (but have enough races and TTs that I get plenty practice on the road).

Not sure what it is (probably the aggressive position, plus the roads around where I live), but taking my TT bike out for a spin isn't too appealing. So I'd recommend getting a separate road bike if cost wasn't too much of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

not sure if you had a TT before, but it not then you should spend your time on the new one, to get your body used to the new position, and tweak the position to ensure its perfect.

personally I would only look at getting a separate bike coming into the winter months,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

It's a mixture of the 2 for me.

TT bike for the turbo sessions 1-3 times per week.
    Road bike has been for the outdoor sessions/long weekend group spins...

However now we're into race season the TT bike is now the main motor.
    Out at the weekend for it's first long ride near 4 hours on the road.
    Glad I did as I've a few things to sort out as a result - small things like hydration/computer fit for races, ensuring wheels correctly aligned as brakes are tight on my race wheels, fitting spare tub pitstop can etc.

So at this stage of the season, it'd be TT bike all the way with a spare set of wheels if you can - not a necessity by any means tbh.
    You can decide to upgrade to race wheels at anytime.

Most important thing now is getting fit right inside on turbo first, and then outside also. It will feel strange for a while outside until you get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Are you looking for an excuse for buying another bike? Go for it, you always need another bike!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Official formula is N + 1

Where N is the amount of bikes you currently have... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Road bike over Winter and TT throughout race season for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keelang

Cheers people for the feedback, i think the TT bike from now on seems to be the best plan. Thanks

Advertisement