Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M4 Motorway: Possible tailgate situation?

Options
  • 27-03-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wandering if the following is possible or has anyone else come across it before?

Last Friday as I make my way back to Dublin on the M4 motorway, I always use the coins only lane at the toll.

I normally stop and drop in the coins, I always get ready to move by engaging gear before I close the window (The machine a few seconds to process and raise the barrier).

On this occassion, after I have passed the barrier and by the time I'm going from second gear ready to shift to third, I can see the car behind me has already passed the barrier.

This lead me to think that the car behind me passed through the toll (Black Peugeot 206) had tailgate through without paying, obviously quick enough before the barrier comes down.

Does any one who had used electronic tag know if the electronic tag work for coins only lane?? Could it be that the tag automatically raises the barrier hence the car was directly behind me in such a short period??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

All lanes accept Tags so if barrier was up for you and they went through and got a green light then the barrier would just stay up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

If you look at the sign here, you can see that the tags are accepted in all lanes.

If you look at the sign here, you can see that the tags are accepted in all lanes.

Cool, i just drove through the toll bridge without paying. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

lau1247 wrote: »
    This lead me to think that the car behind me passed through the toll (Black Peugeot 206) had tailgate through without paying, obviously quick enough before the barrier comes down.

I've seen this happen on the M1 on a number of occassions (mostly with NI/UK Reg cars) whereby the car is on mybumper as the coins go in and is stuck to bumber as I pass under barrier - toll free travelling.

Presumably being NI/UK Reg means than there is a problem following up these guys?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

If I wasn't sure if my tag was accepted going through a toll, I would go for the coin lane so that I could pay if needs be instead of having to do some reversing from the express lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

To the c*nt in the Peugeot 206 who went down the express lane on the M8 last friday without a tag on their car, went to exit and then swerved back into the lane after the overhead gantry read the tag from my car

I+will+destroy+you+kitty.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

To the c*nt in the Peugeot 206 who went down the express lane on the M8 last friday without a tag on their car, went to exit and then swerved back into the lane after the overhead gantry read the tag from my car
    Did you both get through? What did the toll people say when you reported them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Anan1 wrote: »
    Did you both get through? What did the toll people say when you reported them?

They got through (based on my tag). Gate was back down when I got to it, so I had to exit down the slip and go through one of the other lanes. Every day I see w@nkers trying that crap, or trying to tailgate through after cars like mine with tags on them.

Only successfully caught one of them http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76634586&postcount=9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

creedp wrote: »
    I've seen this happen on the M1 on a number of occassions (mostly with NI/UK Reg cars) whereby the car is on mybumper as the coins go in and is stuck to bumber as I pass under barrier - toll free travelling.

Presumably being NI/UK Reg means than there is a problem following up these guys?

That's what I thought too about riding bumper to bumper because she basically appeared out of nowhere but others had mentioned that tags can go through the coins only lane which partially explained it..

Come to think of it when I entered the lane, I think the other lanes on the side were free.. I was very suprised either way..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

Finally a win for the honest people..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They got through (based on my tag). Gate was back down when I got to it, so I had to exit down the slip and go through one of the other lanes. Every day I see w@nkers trying that crap, or trying to tailgate through after cars like mine with tags on them.

Only successfully caught one of them http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76634586&postcount=9
    Please tell me you reported it?

Advertisement