Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting is open on Triathlon forum and subforums

Options
  • 26-03-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Right, here's the deal

Triathlon forum

Gear & Equipment subforum

Training Logs subforum

Events subforum

Adventure Races subforum

Voting is open on each of these requests for the next 6 weeks. To vote, go to one/all of the threads and reply. Keep it simple, +1 for yes, -1 for no
    At the end of 6 weeks the number of *clear* votes of support or opposition will be counted up.
    What counts as a clear vote?
    thanking a post is not a vote. thanking a post is just that, a thanked post.
    posting +1 is counted as support.
    Posting a reason that clearly shows support or opposition is counted
    Posting conditional support (good idea, +1 from me as long as X,Y or Z is included) is not counted as the end forum may or may not include x,y or z in its final state.
    Posting a vote multiple times will negate any previous support or opposition you have shown for the forum.

I separated out the different subforums into different requests, and didn't include shotgunmcos as moderator in the request, because of that conditional support thing. Just vote yes or no on the proposal in the opening post.

After 6 weeks, if there is enough support (+18 votes), the admins and Cmods will discuss the idea.
    (process details are here)

I'll post this in the main A/R/T forum now (with a bit more background)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

(yes, I know you've already voted, possibly a dozen times. But this is the one the admins count)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Thanks RayCun for taking the time to do this.

I've voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Again, more publicly.. thank you Raycun for the work with this.

To emphasise that it may be extremely tedious to vote yet again :rolleyes:, however it is a necessary thing to justify the move/creation to the Admins of the site so please bear with us and thank you in advance for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Again, more publicly.. thank you Raycun for the work with this.

To emphasise that it may be extremely tedious to vote yet again :rolleyes:, however it is a necessary thing to justify the move/creation to the Admins of the site so please bear with us and thank you in advance for that :)

Thanks raycun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Cheers Raycun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Looks like they all have enough support already. Just 5 weeks 6 days to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I've decided not to vote, but then to complain about the results.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

MrCreosote wrote: »
    I've decided not to vote, but then to complain about the results.

I'm getting a group of people together to all vote -1 at the last minute.

Just to be a prat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Triathlon should have it's own forum no doubt. However, I would be quite sad to see the link with athletics and running broken. I think A/R/T (or A/R I guess now) would be a lesser place without the likes of Tunney etc, who's no bullsh1t comments I have very much enjoyed over the last few years. Since Triathlon has moved to a sub forum I haven't read a single triathlon thread, but when it was part of the main forum I would casually pop in and browse some threads (perhaps because I have done a couple of triathlons so have more of an appreciation than others). I think having triathlon in the main forum, there was always the chance of somebody from running being drawn to a triathlon. The sport wont benefit from that now and I'd imagine the tri forum will be mainly people already involved in the sport. While our forum will lose some good posters. But in the end of the day, the sport deserves it's own forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

04072511 wrote: »
    Since Triathlon has moved to a sub forum I haven't read a single triathlon thread, but when it was part of the main forum I would casually pop in and browse some threads (perhaps because I have done a couple of triathlons so have more of an appreciation than others). I think having triathlon in the main forum, there was always the chance of somebody from running being drawn to a triathlon. The sport wont benefit from that now and I'd imagine the tri forum will be mainly people already involved in the sport. While our forum will lose some good posters. But in the end of the day, the sport deserves it's own forum.

Very true you do see plenty of boards runners giving a triathlon a go every year, I wasn't that bothered too much about triathlon getting its own forum but I am guessing newbies to boards hover over the sports drop down and don't see triathlon under T and move on so we might be missing out there as well.

Certainly in Ireland Triathlon is bigger than some of the sports listed in that drop down so it does deserve to have a forum of its own. There seems to be plenty of new guys posting this year that I haven't seen before so hopefully that will continue to grow

As a former Cat Mod for sports, (approx 5 years ago) a lot of the forums were created back when boards was a loooooooot smaller, so it was easier to quickly cater for more niche sports, with smaller interest groups. Now with so many users, with such a wide array of interests the need for stricter control over what forums are created is necessary.

If people really want a forum they'll be patient and comply with the procedures and wait the few weeks. It's not that long in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe if some of the more creative members of the forum were bothered/had the time, they could create a logo/signature image that those of us who use the current forum could put in our sigs to promote its existence. We could then change them when/if the new forum gets the green light.

04072511 wrote: »
    I think having triathlon in the main forum, there was always the chance of somebody from running being drawn to a triathlon. The sport wont benefit from that now and I'd imagine the tri forum will be mainly people already involved in the sport. While our forum will lose some good posters. But in the end of the day, the sport deserves it's own forum.

That would be my thoughts as well.

What about having a 'sub forum' in the main A/R forum that links directly into the main Triathlon forum like was suggested with training logs etc? Would still keep a link between the two forum and give anyone who's used to browsing both forum easy access to tri from A/R?

That would be my thoughts as well.

What about having a 'sub forum' in the main A/R forum that links directly into the main Triathlon forum like was suggested with training logs etc? Would still keep a link between the two forum and give anyone who's used to browsing both forum easy access to tri from A/R?

Good idea. I guess it should be requested like a normal forum? I'll put up a request now. Perhaps when the Tri forum is set up you could have a similar link?

I've added a request here, for links in both directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Its been almost 3 weeks.

Wheres our new forum???

Voting is open for 6 weeks

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Does it not take 6 weeks?

Edit: Beaten to it

Any word back on how likely to be granted Approval? Or is this something you/we only find out at the last minute?

I know as much as you guys. The proposal has enough votes as things stand. In three weeks time it goes for discussion, first by admins and then by the Category moderators. (I don't think there'll be a mod discussion stage) That will take a max of 2 weeks. I don't think they even look at the idea until the voting period is up, and they haven't come back to me with any questions.

One thing they might ask is about the charter for the new forum. shotgunmcos was going to have a think about this, but maybe you have suggestions you'd like to make? Things that you'd like to add or remove from the A/R/T charter? Bear in mind that the doping and medical advice restrictions are boards-wide and won't be changed, and the bans on trolling and personal advice are taken as given.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I have pilfered a copy of This Charter which I'll use as a base.

Any suggestions most welcome for the bylaws of our new Forum :D

• Advertisement

No changing the colour of your text unless necessary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Any suggestions most welcome for the bylaws of our new Forum :D
    Don't slag someone else's performance. We all strive to improve our times and hopefully this forum will help people do that. If you scoff at someone who is proud of running 50 mins for a 10k, keep it to yourself. It doesn't matter if someone took 10 hours to cover 26.2 miles or used stabilisers to do a triathlon. They are talking about their achievements and please do not undermine that.

This wording is condescending, and gives too much weight to goodybaggers. Change it to "Be respectful of each other's performance". Elitism has been used as a bad word by many on the A/R/T forum. Considering a higher placing a better achievement than a lower one, should be what competition is all about, there's no need for everyone to feel equal.
    If you're trying to sell something consider adverts.ie, if you want to link it here, please pm a mod first to check. This covers used equipment, website links, product promotions or race / event promotion. We're happy for regular posters to recommend goods and services, but new posters doing so may find their recommendations deleted. (This because of the growing frequency of new posters signing up to advertise businesses).

Change this to allow regular posters buy and sell their second-hand/unwanted gear without mod approval.
    We do not give out medical advice. Injuries may have common symptoms but are unique to the individual - just because you were able to keep training with X injury or were out for months because of Y doesn't mean that the same will apply to someone else. Bad advice given here and followed through could aggravate an injury and prevent an athlete making a full recovery in as rapid a time as possible. This restriction is Boards-wide and purposely heavy-handed. So don't feel offended if your thread about a sprained ankle (which you may deem "non-medical") gets locked.

Change this to allow for concessions made by the Admins for discussion of sports injuries. For instance, if a poster asks "How do I recover from a torn calf muscle?", then telling them "this is how to recover from your torn calf muscle" is still out of bounds, but telling them "this is how I recovered from my torn calf muscle" is acceptable. This way common sports injuries can be discussed.

today's Doonesbury was written just for Kurt :)
    db120413.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    This wording is condescending, and gives too much weight to goodybaggers. Change it to "Be respectful of each other's performance". Elitism has been used as a bad word by many on the A/R/T forum. Considering a higher placing a better achievement than a lower one, should be what competition is all about, there's no need for everyone to feel equal.

Change this to allow regular posters buy and sell their second-hand/unwanted gear without mod approval.

Change this to allow for concessions made by the Admins for discussion of sports injuries. For instance, if a poster asks "How do I recover from a torn calf muscle?", then telling them "this is how to recover from your torn calf muscle" is still out of bounds, but telling them "this is how I recovered from my torn calf muscle" is acceptable. This way common sports injuries can be discussed.

Look at when it was written!

This must be over 6 weeks by now?

This must be over 6 weeks by now?

6 weeks and 2 days, I reckon. I've sent some PMs...
    It looks like there are a few other forum requests up there that have passed the 6 week date too but haven't been moved on, there may be a bit of a backlog?

RayCun wrote: »
    6 weeks and 2 days, I reckon. I've sent some PMs...
    It looks like there are a few other forum requests up there that have passed the 6 week date too but haven't been moved on, there may be a bit of a backlog?

These forums have actual traffic. We should come first. :)

These forums have actual traffic. We should come first. :)

But... but..... but..... :confused:

We seem to need some more votes of support for the Tri-Forum and Sub-Forums, it's moved to 1-Week status, which seems to indicate that it needs more people in order for it to be approved.

Edit: Actually just read the procedure again and seems there's enough support.

Carry on! :D

• Advertisement

Request status has changed to Ongoing
    The request has been assessed and has enough support to start the process of admin discussion. If no policy reason exists that would stand against creation of the forum the request is passed to the relevant category mods for their input. If the category mods think it would be a good fit for their category but would be better as a subforum of an existing forum then the request is discussed with the existing mods. This process should take 3 weeks but can take longer as all participants are given time to respond.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement