Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rehearsal Studio in Kildare...OPINIONS..

Options
  • 26-03-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hey all

I’m setting up a rehearsal studio in the Naas / Newbridge area.
    I’m interested in getting opinions from musicians regardless of music style your into.
    The rehearsal studio would have a decent PA , Drum kit , 2 guitar amps and a bass amp.
    It would be set in a comfortable environment. The rooms would be a good size with plenty of space for each band. Prices would be approx. €40 - €50 per 4 hour session. (approx.)

Do you feel there is a need for a rehearsal studio in Kildare?

What would you expect in terms of equipment other than what I’ve listed?

Any comments / suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

You mention the standard set of equipment you'd find in a rehearsal place (bar microphones? - usually 2 SM58s in my experience). Some also have drum wedges; you don't say what the PA consists of.

A coffee dock and somewhere to smoke is always appreciated in the ones I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cordragza

I think a Rehearsal space would have the following.

good drum kit
    Good bass amp
    2 good guitar amps.
    A Pa system with somewhere to plug in an ipod.

At least 3 sm58 microphones, preferably with mic covers for hygeine reasons.

An area to sit down, with tea making facilities.
    Fans or ventilation of some sort.

Parking and preferably on ground level for lugging gear in.
    A shop to buy strings and basics if necessary.
    A vending machine with drinks and snacks.

Get all that and you'll be fairly sorted.

As for a rehearsal space in Kildare, since hoop music closed in Maynooth, i would think it'll be a welcome addition.

The option to rent a cage for storing equipment may also be handy for some. Especially regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

For the rooms
    pa with two tops, monitor for the drummer.
    2 Decent matching Guitar amps
    1 decent bass amp.
    5 piece drum kit with a hi hat stand and snare stand, if you wanna supply cymbal stands cool beans most places tend to give two for a ride and crash.

Mics you want 3 sm58s per room with 3 xlr leads. Anything else the band can bring. Make sure you have a desk with at least 12 channels incase they need to plug in keys or electronic drums.

Facility wise your going to need a little shop for strings, sticks, plectrums, coffees, bars, etc etc.

Your going to need male and female toilets.

€50 for four hours is okay but i'd go with 40 because a tenner a hour will attract more customers. Make sure that theres noone around who will complain about noise etc etc and make sure rooms are soundproofed so you don't have to deal with bands complaining about being able to hear each other.

Your going to need separate male and female toilets i know one place that got into deep **** for not having this (No pun intended).

thats all i can think of best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cvk

I appreciate all the comments. A stock of strings / drum sticks etc. is a great idea.

The PA is full-range passive loudspeaker, 2x 15"+1", 450W/4ohm (RMS), * 2.
    So 900W in total.
    Desk is Behringer PMP 5000 powered mixer - 20 channel (12 mono, 4 stereo), 2x 600watts/4ohm, 12 mic pre-amps with 48V phantom power

Two identical guitar amps? Do they have to be identical ? I play in an originals band so it’s not an issue but do you think cover bands would prefer identical amps?

Again all the feedback is very helpful,
    Any other ideas / comments are welcome.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

This is a great idea. A rehearsal studio is long overdue. Where abouts are you thinking of setting up?

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I have noticed with facilities in Galway that awkward access is very off-putting. Make sure there's plenty of parking, plenty of room to get stuff out of cars or vans and that the doors into the rehearsal place itself are nice and wide.
    I used a place in Cork that had two vending machines. One for strings, drumsticks, plectrums etc. and another for healthy stuff like Pot Noodle, chocolate and crisps. That might be a bit easier than having to pay someone to deal with customers.

Make sure the equipment is checked regularly. Sadly people don't look after gear that's not their own so make sure the snare skin doesn't get torn or the power cable for one of the guitar amps doesn't walk off.

Malice wrote: »
    I used a place in Cork that had two vending machines. One for strings, drumsticks, plectrums etc. and another for healthy stuff like Pot Noodle, chocolate and crisps. That might be a bit easier than having to pay someone to deal with customers.

I think the vending machine is an excellent idea. Saw one in Sweeney Mongrel the other day and thought it was brilliant. Plus you can get little harmonica key rings from them, nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

cvk wrote: »
    I appreciate all the comments. A stock of strings / drum sticks etc. is a great idea.

The PA is full-range passive loudspeaker, 2x 15"+1", 450W/4ohm (RMS), * 2.
    So 900W in total.
    Desk is Behringer PMP 5000 powered mixer - 20 channel (12 mono, 4 stereo), 2x 600watts/4ohm, 12 mic pre-amps with 48V phantom power

Two identical guitar amps? Do they have to be identical ? I play in an originals band so it’s not an issue but do you think cover bands would prefer identical amps?

Again all the feedback is very helpful,
    Any other ideas / comments are welcome.

Thanks

The dont have to be identical amps, just decent quality and can take pedals well. most modeling amps are not good at taking pedals.
    Amps like the Marshall MG range and Line 5 spider can be unreliable, and I would not trust them being played through by different guitarists every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Amps like the Marshall MG range and Line 5 spider can be unreliable, and I would not trust them being played through by different guitarists every week.

Similarly, I wouldn't trust a valve amp to an inexperienced band, plus they need tlc.

Most studios I've been in had solid-state 100 watt combos like Fender Poc-Pros, Deluxe 112s, and Marshall Valvestates. Dunno what the new equivalent onf those might be now... Something like a Peavey Bandit, perhaps?

• Advertisement

More than likely in the Naas area. Have looked at a good few units , will decide on one in the next few weeks
    Cheers

Vending machines is a great idea i'll have to look into that.

I practiced in a rehearsal studio last week. It had a great set up very well run. The only one thing was the room was so well insulated the noise inside the room was deafening ...after 2 songs i went and got ear plugs. And we play main stream pop rock.

Anyone else have an experience like that?

Thanks for the comments getting a real idea of what other musicians would like

Cheers....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Kerry Clarke

Heat. Very importnant. Are you set up yet? We could be your first customer as we're seeking space tomorrow.

Will be set in a few weeks i'd say ...I'll PM you when we are ready....almost there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Kerry Clarke

Thanks.

You can count on us too. We are currently having to go to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 csmythser

cvk wrote: »
    Hey all

I’m setting up a rehearsal studio in the Naas / Newbridge area.
    I’m interested in getting opinions from musicians regardless of music style your into.
    The rehearsal studio would have a decent PA , Drum kit , 2 guitar amps and a bass amp.
    It would be set in a comfortable environment. The rooms would be a good size with plenty of space for each band. Prices would be approx. €40 - €50 per 4 hour session. (approx.)

Do you feel there is a need for a rehearsal studio in Kildare?

What would you expect in terms of equipment other than what I’ve listed?

Any comments / suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
    let me know when your set up... id be interested in coming out to check it out

Cheers i'll PM all when we are reday to go...

Another optioon which I'd like in Dublin would be to rent a room with perhaps 2 other bands exclusively. Such a setup would allow the bands to pay montly and keep their gear there longterm. VEry convenient for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 superband

Air conditioning. Assuming no windows, being able to breath well in a closed environment will help, especially singers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

some studios offer the use of a recording device for the rehearsal for 10 euro a session, like the zoom h2

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H2-Portable-Stereo-Recorder/dp/B000VBH2IG

i thought it was a good idea, not sure what the uptake is on it, lads on here might comment, but the results off it are great for reviewing later!

where we rehearse they use marshall valvestate combos with channel switches and they are fine for the job.

maybe try and rent a room to a recording engineer as a studio, it would be a good complimentary business which could easily make use of the rooms for recording?

Best of luck and keep us posted!

some studios offer the use of a recording device for the rehearsal for 10 euro a session, like the zoom h2

Great suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 benestoria2

you say the PA consists of two 450w speakers?....thats really loud for a rehearsal room, this is just my opinion now but I would suggest smaller ones to reduce feedback from the mics if the rooms are small as well as sound spilling into other rooms they are venue size speakers..but again just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mush10

Hi, any update with this? We will be first in line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mush10

Couple of things that would be great additions...
    . Option to rent rooms paying monthly, so bands can work with their own setup and then come and go as they please.
    . Lockup facility for storing equipment.
    . Option to record rehearsal session (at an additional cost).
    . Vending, Tea, Coffee, Microwave or kitchen area for bands looking to do full day sessions.
    . Maybe an entertainment area for same reason as above.
    . Heater / AC.
    . Toilets all the usual requirements.
    Most important the equipment and sound in the rooms should be good. If that’s not right then you won’t fill your rooms.

I think this is a great idea.
    Best of luck with it and if there is any way I can help...

Cheers

Thanks for the interest and all the suggestions. We are at the final stages and hopefully everything will be sorted soon.

We will open with one studio in Naas. This will increase to 3 by the end of the year. My experience of rehearsal studios has been general good.

However I want the studio to be spacious, I don't want 4 walls with 100% sound proofing, to me the sound inside the room is deafening. I think a big enough room (approx 60 - 70 sq mtr approx) to rehearse in and an area to relax, tea / coffee etc. I want the band to feel they have complete run of the studio the entire area, this combined with good equipment/pricing and some of the suggestions made, I think will be enough to attract bands and to keep them coming back.
    So the studio will not be like most of the studios in Dublin. Not that there is anything wrong with them , I just think there is a better way of doing it.

Its alot more work than I thought but the feed back here has been great and has certainly opened my eyes to what different bands would like. I'll keep you updated and hopefully will have some news soon.
    Any other sugestions are always welcome.

Thanks again...

Good on ya!

Quick update. We have secured a premises in Naas on the Monread road. Should be opening in 3/4 weeks. I'll update with contact details websites etc in the next week or 2.
    Many thanks for all the suggestions and hopefully see some of you soon.....

Well done sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Best of luck, hope it all works out!

Advertisement