Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacky-Back in Barcalona Sub 3 Attempt

Options
  • 25-03-2012 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

Our own Jackback is lining up in Barcalona this morning for his sub 3 attempt, hope he remembered changing the clock last night :) Good luck to him (and his Dad indeed!)

Can be followed here bib number 387

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Through 10k in 43:15, slightly outside sub 3 but that is perhaps the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

He starts off slow. No rush

15k 1:03:58 smack bang on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Weather not too bad. 16'-18'C, but sunny. Lots of Irish runners.
    He's right on pace at 15km (1:03:58).

Still right on it at 20k (1:25:24)

• Advertisement

25k - 1:46:59, so still bang on target. Not much room for a difficult km or two now so hopefully he is still feeling strong.

35k - 2:32:20, outside sub 3hr pace now. Come on JB dig deep now for final 7.2k!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

He's gonna need a strong finish but he's a fighter so he is capable! Cone on JB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

He needs to find almost 3 minutes on that last 7.2k... tall order, but fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

More importantly, his old man is looking good for around 3:50 - 3:55

• Advertisement

More importantly, his old man is looking good for around 3:50 - 3:55
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

02:55:38 at 40k

Not going to happen now but knowing Fran he will leave it all out there. Still will be a massive PB and he is obviously in great running form for Roth later in the year + Barca of course!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

3:05:59

That 59 seconds just cost me a tenner you fecker. :D

Great running. Well done dude. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great effort JM. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Well done lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Ye mad bunch :) not the result i was looking for but there is lots of positives to take from it. Sufferfest though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Fran. Super result, even if it wasn't your ideal time. Next time the target will be 2:52 or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Well done, great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good man JB- massive PB! Get that report up...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

What this threat all about? :confused:

I thought you triathletes don't care for running because it's a completely different sport? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

well done fran, great time.

My first attempt was 3:05 too. You'll get it next time. Enjoy the beers

Well done Fran. Super result, even if it wasn't your ideal time. Next time the target will be 2:52 or better.

You could be right Gary as its likely two years from now that I will target a stand alone marathon and by then I will be a much stronger runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Well done Fran, it's a great time for what I imagine is a B race. And I'm sure I told you similar last year, but I think you're mad to be running marathons so close to an ironman. 15 weeks out from Roth, 42km @ marathon pace is not where you need your running to be at. Just my 2c worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

zico10 wrote: »
    Well done Fran, it's a great time for what I imagine is a B race. And I'm sure I told you similar last year, but I think you're mad to be running marathons so close to an ironman. 15 weeks out from Roth, 42km @ marathon pace is not where you need your running to be at. Just my 2c worth.

Better than London at 12 weeks :)

I got the impression it was a joint 'A' goal

tunney wrote: »
    Better than London at 12 weeks :)

I got the impression it was a joint 'A' goal

Hey Zico, still on your travels? Tunney is right this was an 'A' race, it was orignally a 'B' race but with going for the sub 3 it quickly became an 'A' race for me.
    Timing is less than ideal alright but much better than the 12 weeks i would have given myself if i went down the London route. It is very unlikely i will target another 'A' marathon whilst i chase a Kona slot in the next few years as that is my focus now.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Key also is how the recovery is managed and how to balance this with JBs last few weeks building ftp/speed - JB looks like he's being led down a 12/9 week race focus path rather than a generic 20 week program.

JB, hard luck on achieving a tough target. About to read your report, but I reckon mentally you've ticked the box on what IM pace you can realistically look at - which was part of you original goal wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Hey Zico, still on your travels? Tunney is right this was an 'A' race, it was orignally a 'B' race but with going for the sub 3 it quickly became an 'A' race for me.
    Timing is less than ideal alright but much better than the 12 weeks i would have given myself if i went down the London route. It is very unlikely i will target another 'A' marathon whilst i chase a Kona slot in the next few years as that is my focus now.

Still travelling indeed, I probably can't afford to live in Ireland at this stage.

Is that three 'A' races in one year for you so? I'm sure you know what you're doing, but thrice a year seems a lot of times a non professional athlete can hope to be at their peak.

Good luck in your pursuit of the Kona slot by the way, it'll be an interesting journey, one I could definitely learn from.

Notwitch wrote: »
    Key also is how the recovery is managed and how to balance this with JBs last few weeks building ftp/speed - JB looks like he's being led down a 12/9 week race focus path rather than a generic 20 week program.

JB, hard luck on achieving a tough target. About to read your report, but I reckon mentally you've ticked the box on what IM pace you can realistically look at - which was part of you original goal wasn't it?

15 weeks to go will probably look like, 2 week recovery from marathon (play this by feel), 10 weeks of IM specific work and then a 3 week taper. I had an idea on what pace/time i would like to aim for in the marathon for Roth but will need to revise that back a little from the weekends race.
    Still travelling indeed, I probably can't afford to live in Ireland at this stage.

Is that three 'A' races in one year for you so? I'm sure you know what you're doing, but thrice a year seems a lot of times a non professional athlete can hope to be at their peak.

Good luck in your pursuit of the Kona slot by the way, it'll be an interesting journey, one I could definitely learn from.

No just the two, Barca Marathon and Roth are 'A' races. Challenge Barca is just a go out and have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You never did tell me what you wanted me to have waiting for you at the finish line in Roth?

Advertisement