Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coolant for a 2005 Touareg 2.5L TDi Auto??

Options
  • 23-03-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The Coolant light came on this evening but the temp gauges stayed normal all the way home.

Having read the user manual it seems I need to add 40% coolant and 60% water to top up and the coolant needs to meet the TT-VW 774F specification.

I have a bottle of Halfords generic "Advanced Anti-Freeze & Summer Coolant" which "Meets the requirements of .... VW (TL774D)"

As I'm a complete useless git when it comes to this sort of stuff I'm a bit nervous about fcuking this up but I'm even more worried about the pure shame of bringing it to a garage to top up the coolant. If I have to do that I might as well put on a skirt and pair of stilettos :rolleyes:

I therefore have two key questions in order to save the world from the sight of me in a skirt and stilettos:-

1. Are the TT-VW 774F and TL 774D specifications interchangeable or does that fact I'm even asking that question mean I should head straight for Pamela Scott's!!

2. The VW manual says their recommended coolant TT-VW 774F is dyed purple and shouldn't be mixed with any other coolant, especially if it's a different colour. Is that marketing BS or should I add a bra and boob tube to the list of gear to buy in Pamela Scotts???

I also read that if all it needs is a minor top up i.e. half a pint or so it's fine to just add water as it won't dilute the mixture to an extent where it would materially affect cooling performance.

Please be gentle on me :D

Ben
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If the coolant light is on, it's more than a minor top up. Don't drive the vehicle unless you're sure there's enough coolant in the system. You also need to find out why it's low in the first place.

Now for the fun stuff:

TL-774D is G12, TL-774F is G12+. You can use G12+ in applications that require G12, but NOT the other way around i.e. if your engine demands G12+ then it must get that or G12++ (TL-774G).

Best thing to do is go to your local VW/Audi dealer and ask for a bottle of coolant - they supply it in 1.5 l bottles. You also need to use distilled or deionised water - tap water contains impurities which can clog up or damage your cooling system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks Chimera, bet you never have any of these problems with your TreVoR do you ;)
    Chimaera wrote: »
    Now for the fun stuff:

TL-774D is G12, TL-774F is G12+. You can use G12+ in applications that require G12, but NOT the other way around

The weird thing is my user manual states the following - verbatim

"The cooling system must be filed with a mixture of water and at least 40% of our coolant additive G 12 or an additive with the specification TT-VW 774 F"

That contradicts your matching of the specifications above. Are you sure TL-774D = G12?

Confused.com :confused:

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The nick actually has little to do with the TVR car. I drive a Passat so I'm familiar enough with VW stuff.

I'm working directly from the VW service manuals here.

G11: 774C
    G12: 774D
    G12+: 774F
    G12++: 774G

There's a compatibility matrix for the different specs around the place, but I can't find the damn thing.

Minimum spec for your car is G12+ or 774F (purple).

Chimera,

I hadn't read your signature correctly :o

I'm now on bended knee as I write :p

I'm totally willing to accept that you are right and the manual I have is simply wrong or is missing a '+' from the G12 description they assign to 774F.

I'll take your advice and get my garage to sort me out.

Now that I've spotted an inaccuracy in the VW manual I have a perfect excuse to ask them for help and avoid a trip to Pamela Scotts ;)

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

If you will forgive a small hijack, my mechanic drained the coolant in my 97 Polo, I had asked him to use the proper G-type, but when the job was done he said he had used ordinary anti-freeze. That was a couple of years ago now, should I be concerned? Are VeeDubs more prone to corrosion that other cars? Thanks...

• Advertisement

Hijack away, no problem.

My issue was identified in 2 minutes. I went to my local VW garage at 10am this morning but their parts dept was closed so I went to Atlas who were open, courteous and professional. I told them I wanted a coolant top up, they took the car in and came back to me 2 minutes later inviting me to view the engine bay where the problem had been identified as a pipe (which carries the coolant) having been worn away by the engine cover chaffing off it for god knows how long. The coolant was escaping from there and I hadn't noticed it.

They'll order in the bit of pipe I need and sort me out Monday. In the meantime they patched up the pipe, topped up the coolant and I limped home.

I have to say I was very impressed with them. they were easy and a pleasure to deal with. They charged me nothing to ID and the problem or top up the coolant and will call me with pricing etc once they have the pipe ordered.

I have to say I was very sceptical as I have them pidgeon holed as tyre guys chancing their arm at other stuff but the 2 guys I dealt with were very articulate and confidence inspiring.

Thanks for the help and for guiding me to a mechanic. As it turns out it isn't just as simple as the coolant level dropping.

Cheers,

Ben

Advertisement