Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all triathletes "elite"

Options
  • 21-03-2012 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey, long time lurker here. Saw another thread mention an "elite" area for discussion. This got me thinking- aren't all triathletes "elite"? I mean we do something that less than one half of one percent of the general population does-imo that makes us elite. Just wanted to know what people think. Pretty sure the Ironman is regarded as the hardest task possible in sport, sure look at how Lance Armstrong could only manage a third place finish in a half IM.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Whats this 'we', paleface?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Is it that time already?? :D

Tunney is that you?

No... You'd know Lance was 2nd.... ;)

Pros are elite.
    Those who earn their living from triathlons are elite.
    Possibly a few more high achieving age groupers who can mix it with the pro's results wise could also be considered elite.

Elite is being at the top end of competitive race results of a sport.

End.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Is it Friday already??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 petitmember

After my IM I certainly felt like a badass. Honestly, I wathc those Kenyan runners that everyone calls "elite" and all I can think is how they couldn't hack it in tri.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

Lol I definitely wouldn't call myself elite!

Any sport is done by a minority of the population. Elite would only make sense as the best cohort within the sport.

Besides, I'd find a marathon harder than a tri. And a 100 miler run harder than an ironman (like maybe..... Not going there in this lifetime!) Just cause we do tris doesn't mean we're the best things out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Hey, long time lurker here. Saw another thread mention an "elite" area for discussion. This got me thinking- aren't all triathletes "elite"? I mean we do something that less than one half of one percent of the general population does-imo that makes us elite. Just wanted to know what people think. Pretty sure the Ironman is regarded as the hardest task possible in sport, sure look at how Lance Armstrong could only manage a third place finish in a half IM.

I doubt it, anybody can do a triathlon, big, small, fat, skinny, ugly etc. as long as all their limbs are in order and they have a strong mind and therefore i don't think it makes somebody elite. Only those at the top of their competitive sport are considered elite IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 petitmember

I think you guys sell yourselves short- I find the tri community is like that. Too humble and too willing to downplay achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

<mod>yellow card issued, don't be a muppet</mod>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Stop feeding the trolls!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

You will find that 'elite' exits in every triathlete if you're good at anagrams.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You will find that 'elite' exits in every triathlete if you're good at anagrams.
    No, a Triathlete is really a Title Hater.

Advertisement