Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehearsal Room + Accommodation

Options
  • 21-03-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

I've come to my usual problem when trying to find a place to rent. I need a place to play my drums and live!

I am a drummer and I have several gigs a week in clubs with DJ's or with bands in venues around Dublin. I also do some home recording and practice quite a bit with bands, so I have been trying to find a place suitable to accommodate my needs but as you can guess it is difficult.

Before anyone asks, no I am not willing to travel from home to a recording/rehearsal studio any longer! It's too much hassle for me. I am in UCD but I don't mind commuting.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Moved to Bands & Musicians Community.

You'll probably get some more useful responses in here instead of the general music forum! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What are you actually looking for? Are you looking for some accommodation near UCD that has a garage or a lack of neighbours or something else entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mccubeical

Malice wrote: »
    What are you actually looking for? Are you looking for some accommodation near UCD that has a garage or a lack of neighbours or something else entirely?

Sorry Malice but are you unfamiliar with what a rehearsal room is? I'm referring to the one bands normally pay to use. Soundproofing, PA, carpeted etc.

My apologies I really thought I was clear "Rehearsal room + Accommodation". Certainly not a garage, that wouldn't be pleasant at all. As I said I don't mind commuting so therefore I obviously don't need it to be near UCD. Neighbors/no Neighbors? It doesn't bother me!

Here is a link to a few rehearsal rooms I've used in the past to clear up the confusion.

http://www.loop.ie/

http://www.troubadour.ie/#/home/

http://www.templelanestudios.com/content.php?ID=1

http://datarecordingstudios.com/ (include accommodation but it's in Kerry)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Your first post suggests you want a place to live where you can play drums to your heart's content. You're probably looking at a small detached cottage in the deep suburbs, so.

Your second post suggests you want the place you live to be kitted out like a rehearsal studio. I don't think you're going to find that.

mccubeical wrote: »
    Sorry Malice but are you unfamiliar with what a rehearsal room is?
    No need for the smart-arsed response. What you wrote was unclear to me.
    I need a place to play my drums and live!
    I am not willing to travel from home to a recording/rehearsal studio

Have a read of those two quoted sentences above and maybe you can see where my request for clarification came from. You want somewhere to live and play drums and you're not willing to travel. Is that not the meaning of what you wrote?

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    No need for the smart-arsed response. What you wrote was unclear to me.

My apologies Malice. I wasn't trying to be a "smart-arse" and I don't see it as a "smart-arsed" response. Perhaps as a Moderator you could use better terminology to set a good example. I thought your lack of understanding was with the rehearsal room concept. But then after I actually saw your post about rehearsal rooms I realized I must have misled people and not explained it very well. So my genuine apologies once again.

Now if you quote correctly you will find that when I said "I am not willing to travel from home to a recording/rehearsal studio any longer" I was referring to my current situation. (Not being a "smart-arse")

When I said "I need a place to play my drums and live!", I was referring to what I would like in the future like other bands I have met at festivals and other venues.

Perhaps the conflict ridden boards.ie site is not the best way to make such an enquiry.

Helpful responses encouraged.

Thanks,

Conor

Your second post suggests you want the place you live to be kitted out like a rehearsal studio. I don't think you're going to find that.

I know I was very optimistic and I now I'd never find that. I suppose the main thing I'd be looking for is a spacious soundproofed room.

I have a PA. I was just trying to clear up confusion over what a rehearsal room was. But it turns out I didn't need to.

Thanks for the response,

Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

way to go dude! gonna get loaaaaaadsa help if you keep going like this :)

i've a saucer of milk if yer thirsty.

way to go dude! gonna get loaaaaaadsa help if you keep going like this :)

i've a saucer of milk if yer thirsty.

Right I'll stop so.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

ah cmon dude...was just saying chill a bit that's all...

carry on, don't mean to hijack thread

edit:

just thinking though. u say you're gigging a lot etc. is it gonna be possible to avoid all the lugging around etc that seems to be pissing you off? i don't envy drummers in this respect. be different if you gigged less and could find somewhere to hole up for the rest of the time.

seems like maybe a share in a rehearsal room might be what you need. Somewhere you could lock it up and have periodic access to when you wanted to play yourself?

difficult situation.

i have a small share in a rehearsal studio - one day guaranteed per week plus evenings here and there when other lads aren't using it. it suits my needs cuz I know I have that time to record noisy stuff or just have a proper loud strum every so often.

sounds like something that will come if you keep looking though. most places would require a bit of work to soundproof, rarely worth it unless you plan on being there long term - which maybe you will?

• Advertisement

I will just defending myself. Might have gone a bit OTT. My intentions are not to cause a fight so I'll stop! Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

PM Sent. I have what you are looking for.

kc

mccubeical wrote: »
    My apologies Malice. I wasn't trying to be a "smart-arse" and I don't see it as a "smart-arsed" response. Perhaps as a Moderator you could use better terminology to set a good example.
    My moderator status is utterly irrelevant to your inability to construct a sufficiently coherent post. Perhaps as a user you could use the Preview Post button and re-read what you write to ensure there's no ambiguity?
    mccubeical wrote:
    I thought your lack of understanding was with the rehearsal room concept.
    Do you really think I'd be a moderator of this forum or indeed that I'd bother posting at all if I didn't understand that?
    mccubeical wrote:
    Now if you quote correctly you will find that when I said "I am not willing to travel from home to a recording/rehearsal studio any longer"
    I did quote correctly. You've now added two extra words to the sentence which change its meaning considerably.
    mccubeical wrote:
    Perhaps the conflict ridden boards.ie site is not the best way to make such an enquiry.
    At the time of writing you've made 6 posts. Perhaps it wouldn't seem so conflict-ridden if you yourself were a bit less confrontational. We are after all trying to help you here.
    mccubeical wrote:
    Helpful responses encouraged.
    And there you go with another passive-aggressive sentence. Seriously cut it out!

Right Malice I've tried my best with you but every time it leads to further arguments which appears to be my fault. We could continue but I don't see this heading anywhere positive anytime soon.

Just for the record I didn't add two words. They are in my original post. Leaving them out puts the sentence out of context causing obvious confusion as you pointed out.

Thanks for trying to help. Thanks for pointing out my weaknesses/problems with my post(s). I will try not to make the same mistakes again. Advice taken. I'd say I'm more frustrated with this argument rather than anything else.

No grudges held.

Conor

PM Sent. I have what you are looking for.

kc

Fantastic! Apologies about the dispute on this thread. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Appreciate it a lot.

Conor

Advertisement