Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Duathlon Championships

Options
  • 09-03-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey Guys,

Just wondering what people think about the National Duathlon Champs being staged up North again this year. Don't get me wrong its a great course in Burnfoot, excellently run race but surely TI could have hosted it more centrally in Ireland if no club wanted to run it?? I was shocked over the past couple of years how few athletes made the journey for a National Championships. Or is it the distance of the race 10k-40k-5k that puts people off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Its a long journey for most athletes alright. Couldnt get much further apart for this and the Nat Sprint Champs a couple of weeks later.

Many from these parts heading up for it? I'm going anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Not for me anyway.

Bit of a trek (though not compared to Valentia).
    Doing Joey Hannan anyway so that takes preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

Hey guys, Not trying to hijack the thread but does anyone know is there an national youth (im now u16) or junior championships ? Or if anyone has any unfo thatd be even better !

LPT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey guys, Not trying to hijack the thread but does anyone know is there an national youth (im now u16) or junior championships ? Or if anyone has any unfo thatd be even better !

LPT

Hey LPT, are you interested in tri or duathlon or both?

The is a national junior championships, here is some info I got on it:

Junior membership is available for just €1 and the number of races catering for youths and juniors growing all the time.

Junior National Series 2012
    *Points will be allocated for the best 4 results out of 5 races

Joey Hannan Sprint Triathlon 29th April
    Fingal Sprint Triathlon 27th May
    TriAthy Sprint Triathlon 2nd June
    King of the Hill Sprint Triathlon 28th July
    Ross Point Sprint Triathlon 5th August

Junior National Championships

Fingal Sprint Triathlon 27th May
    Fingal Junior Aquathlon 27th May

Point Scoring  

1st place

2nd place

3rd place

4th place

5th place

6th place

7th place

8th place

9th place

10th place

11th place

12th place

13th place

14th place

15th place

A point’s bonus of 20% will be awarded for the Fingal Junior National Championships. For example the winner will be awarded 30 points, 2nd place 24 points etc

The Junior National Series is suitable for anyone aged between 16 and 19 years as of the 31st December 2012, from those looking to partake in their first race up to athletes on the National Junior Squad or National Junior Academy.

For children under 16 years of age look out for the children’s races in the events calendar here. We expect the number of children’s races to grow as the year progresses.

Where are you base dude? Are there any tri clubs near you?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

^Thanks ! :) Im based in co.Waterford, im joining my local club next week... My main aspect of sport is cycling, ive been racing for about 4 years now. Im only 14 so i guess theres no actual all irelands? Bit unfair i think ! Ive entered two races so far this year and have been treated as a junior. I came out 1st on one and 2nd on the other ! Im going to go to the irish junior squad talent spotting day in wicklow at the start of april, need to improve on my swimming ! If anyone knows of any good races for youths let me know !
    Thanks again :)
    LPT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

^Thanks ! :) Im based in co.Waterford, im joining my local club next week... My main aspect of sport is cycling, ive been racing for about 4 years now. Im only 14 so i guess theres no actual all irelands? Bit unfair i think ! Ive entered two races so far this year and have been treated as a junior. I came out 1st on one and 2nd on the other ! Im going to go to the irish junior squad talent spotting day in wicklow at the start of april, need to improve on my swimming ! If anyone knows of any good races for youths let me know !
    Thanks again :)
    LPT

Hey dude, the national championships ARE the All-Ireland's really.

The sprint national champs are In the NAC in Blanchardstown (Fingal Tri May 27th) although because you are a junior (under 16) you will probably have to do the National Junior Aquathon instead....so no bike leg which is your strongest leg. PM me your e mail and I will send you more info including an e mail address that you can ask your questions too.

Best of luck with it all dude, think its great that young people like yourself are getting involved. I'll have a few of my students in school entering it too.

First (?) National Championships of the year are only 9 days away. Any predictions? Paul Carroll to retain his title? Who's likely to challenge him? A few guys going very well in early Duathlons.

And anyone else heading up? With the price of petrol these days I'd like to be able to split the cost!

First (?) National Championships of the year are only 9 days away. Any predictions? Paul Carroll to retain his title? Who's likely to challenge him? A few guys going very well in early Duathlons.

And anyone else heading up? With the price of petrol these days I'd like to be able to split the cost!

Well we're pretty close now..
    Hope it goes well for all doing it.

My guess for Podium Shots are:
    - Paul Carroll - prob favourite but not much, prob peaking for this though
    - Mark Horan - in good form, not a focus for him but should do v well
    - Bjorn Ludick - I presume he's doing it, should do well
    - unknowns?

Not sure who else is up for it?

I can see this one being pretty close.

Joe Lynch is planning a Relay I think so don't think he's gunning for it.
    Bound to be another 5 or so within close contention depending on who shows up on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Interested in seeing the start list. Its only a race for 2nd and 3rd though. Nobody will beat Paul Carroll unless he has a major mechanical and at that it would need to hold him up for about 2 minutes. There's one man id love to see a training log by! Amazing how much he has improved even from an already top level!

Whilst his progress is class, I see it as being a damn close one myself...
    We will find out on Sunday I guess!

• Advertisement

Fazz wrote: »
    Whilst his progress is class, I see it as being a damn close one myself...
    We will find out on Sunday I guess!

Can you all let me know. Unfortunately I'll be miles back the road as it all develops!!

Can you all let me know. Unfortunately I'll be miles back the road as it all develops!!

You've got it all wrong!!!

We're relying on you chasing them down and giving a detailed race report of how it went down up top!

A 33-34 min 9.6km should give a good account up to T1 for starters.. ;)

You've got it all wrong!!!

We're relying on you chasing them down and giving a detailed race report of how it went down up top!

A 33-34 min 9.6km should give a good account up to T1 for starters.. ;)

Ha, yeah. 33min. No bother. Sure I'll lash in a sub 60min bike as well, and a sub 17min 5k at the end for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I was hoping for a 31min, sub 55 and a sub 16 from you BTH ;)

Bambaata wrote: »
    I was hoping for a 31min, sub 55 and a sub 16 from you BTH ;)

Ah Eddie, not much point in peaking for a race with no other boardsies in it. :D

I'm hearing Paul Carroll retained his title here today...

Awaiting results/splits for others...

I'm hearing Paul Carroll retained his title here today...

Awaiting results/splits for others...

Yeah Paul won, Mark Molloy?? second, can't remember 3rd. Mark Horan 5th Kevin Donagher 6th. Judith Lowry took the women's race ahead of Aoife lynch. Some ginger bollo* finished 22nd in a time of 1:59:02.

Results are now online...

http://www.northwesttriclub.com/images/NorthWest%20Overall%20v3.pdf

Strong field as expected.

Well done BTH - how were the distances after the 9.6k first run?
    Bang on or slightly out?

Very impressive times in a distance format that just sounds made for pain!

@bambatta - look who's popped up in 4th! :) serious opening run from him.

Results are now online...

http://www.northwesttriclub.com/images/NorthWest%20Overall%20v3.pdf

Strong field as expected.

Well done BTH - how were the distances after the 9.6k first run?
    Bang on or slightly out?

Very impressive times in a distance format that just sounds made for pain!

@bambatta - look who's popped up in 4th! :) serious opening run from him.

My garmin tells me 9.49/38.6/4.66. T2 cost me three places at least. Soggy gloves, frozen fingers and cramping calves. Still, Id have taken under 2 hours going up.

And yes, made for pain and the weather didn't help matters.

Advertisement