Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Training To Become An Accountant As A Mature Student

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ someyoke

@9214 Industry Jobs advertised now place huge emphasis on internal processes and controls. So auditing background really suits from that perspective.

Additionally you will be assessed on communication skills dealing with non finance staff as you probably don't have extensive experience here. From this perspective just talk up your communication skills generally.

Influencing skills and being able to deal with office politics probably will likely be assessed as well, but if it's just first job from practice this might not be a big issue.

There are loads of jobs advertised for those recently qualified looking for first position in industry, you should have a decent chance of getting interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ Lion Killer

Very true. As much as they speak the corporate diversity lingo, it means nothing in reality.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007

You left out the part where they are also people with a high consistent academic record year on year and that is definitely not the norm, regardless of what you may think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,749 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Pawwed Rig

There are many parameters they use to ensure they get their preferred demographic. Results of irrelevant exams is one of them.

There was one partner I recall who would only hire from Blackrock college. This ensured he would not have to deal with peskie foreigners or other undesirable Irish untermenschen.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭ in2dark

Another mature recently qualified here.

In my mid 40s, finished acca on self study, working in the finance dept of a big company.

I dont know if the big4 advisory roles are any good. Money seems to be great however I dont know what the small print is. Do they drain you like during training? Do they get rid of you once mid 50s

Anyone with real life experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭ olestoepoke

For any of the posters that completed ACCA, would you recommend studying it yourself or enrolling with an approved educational partner like Griffith college. For context I have 4 exams left and am working full time. Thanks

Finished it all with self study (opentuition) while working full time

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007

It really depends on how you learn best. Some people work better when they are in a structured environment with colleagues working towards the same goal and some prefer to work through it by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ Navy blue

Congrats In2dark. I'm just about to head into my professional level exams and like you, am working full time, plus kids and all the other time draining stuff! It's good to know it can be done with self study as it's my preferred method of learning, but a lot of people told me the P level exams couldn't be done on your own. Good to hear real life examples that it can!

Like you I also have 2 kids. Dont be scared of the Ps. They are not much harder than the exams tou have already passed. Especially the SBL is walk in the park, its all about the scenario... SBR is matter of practice. Now the 2 optionals are challenging. Just dont give up and you are almost there ;-) best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭ ianuss

I think ATX would be very difficult to do self-study. The others are all doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ Lion Killer

Hello all,

When do exemptions "expire"? If you have CAP 1 exemptions, get the CAP 2 exemptions by doing a masters in accounting, what kind of time frame would you have to complete the FAE exams in then? Also, is completing FAE feasible by yourself?

They give you 3 years initially for CAP 1 exemptions if you are doing a masters in accounting, which would give you CAP 2 exemptions. Wondering if they can extend that beyond 3 years if a person has other plans?

Sorry, very long-winded way to ask the questions.

Advertisement