Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Training To Become An Accountant As A Mature Student

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It really depends on how you learn best. Some people work better when they are in a structured environment with colleagues working towards the same goal and some prefer to work through it by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

Congrats In2dark. I'm just about to head into my professional level exams and like you, am working full time, plus kids and all the other time draining stuff! It's good to know it can be done with self study as it's my preferred method of learning, but a lot of people told me the P level exams couldn't be done on your own. Good to hear real life examples that it can!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭in2dark

Like you I also have 2 kids. Dont be scared of the Ps. They are not much harder than the exams tou have already passed. Especially the SBL is walk in the park, its all about the scenario... SBR is matter of practice. Now the 2 optionals are challenging. Just dont give up and you are almost there ;-) best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I think ATX would be very difficult to do self-study. The others are all doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

Just wanted to come back and do a quick update. When I last posted, I was about to start the P level exams, sat my final exam in June and passed so I’m finally done with exams! Got them all first time with self study so it definitely can be done. Like In2dark said, SBL is very easy and I believe it will be easier going forward as they are releasing the scenario a couple of weeks in advance and making the exam shorter. The most challenging part of that exam is the length of it and keeping the focus up for 4+ hours. I found SBR difficult, but I was having a very busy time in work so that probably added to it.

For the optional choices, I did AAA and APM. They have the lowest pass rates of all the ACCA exams, but honestly, they’re not that bad. I think good exam technique is nearly more important than knowledge so if you perfect the exam technique you’re well on the way.

In some way, the P level exams are nearly more straightforward, they are a lot more theory based which suited me better so if maths isn’t your strong point, they’re a lot more doable!

It’s been a tough few years, but it’s great to be finally done. For anyone thinking of doing it, go for it! You won’t regret it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement